• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should there be consequences for universities that don't stand up for free speech?

He seems to incite violence pretty much everywhere that he goes nowadays. I wonder why that is?

Ask him:

I have been evacuated from the UC Berkeley campus after violent left-wing protestors tore down barricades, lit fires, threw rocks and Roman candles at the windows and breached the ground floor of the building. My team and I are safe. But the event has been cancelled. I'll let you know more when the facts become clear. One thing we do know for sure: the Left is absolutely terrified of free speech and will do literally anything to shut it down.

Do you guys not see how easily he is playing you?

Last edited:
Ask him:

I have been evacuated from the UC Berkeley campus after violent left-wing protestors tore down barricades, lit fires, threw rocks and Roman candles at the windows and breached the ground floor of the building. My team and I are safe. But the event has been cancelled. I'll let you know more when the facts become clear. One thing we do know for sure: the Left is absolutely terrified of free speech and will do literally anything to shut it down.

Do you guys not see how easily is playing you?

Do you agree with the bolded? One word answer: yes or no?

Do you agree with the bolded? One word answer: yes or no?

Be braver than that. Allow for a four word answer.

In this case, yes.

On the subject of you guys getting played, here is the fruit of the cowardly tree:

"I'm just stunned that hundreds of people ... were so threatened by the idea that a conservative speaker might be persuasive, interesting, funny and might take some people with him, they have to shut it down at all costs."

He couldn't do this for himself. Only you guys can do this for him. Nice work.

In this case, yes.

On the subject of you guys getting played, here is the fruit of the cowardly tree:

"I'm just stunned that hundreds of people ... were so threatened by the idea that a conservative speaker might be persuasive, interesting, funny and might take some people with him, they have to shut it down at all costs."

OK, I'll humor you for a second.

Why would "the left" be scared of what Milo had to say? There is nothing scary about his rhetoric, apart from the fact that there are actually people in America that believe in what Milo puts out there. And why would "the left" be so threatened by Milo being persuasive? He is a ultra-conservative, hateful, bigoted, and does not offer any intellectual stimulation whatsoever. You know just as well as I do that in this political and social climate, almost nobody would attend a speech of his at Cal-Berkeley with the intent to sit there, listen, and then decide after whether or not his arguments were "convincing".

This has nothing to do with free speech. People cannot be forced to entertain hateful filth in the name of the Constitution. Speech that is known to incite crowds is not protected by the First Amendment (in case you didn't look up the case I cited for you).

OK, I'll humor you for a second.

Why would "the left" be scared of what Milo had to say? There is nothing scary about his rhetoric, apart from the fact that there are actually people in America that believe in what Milo puts out there. And why would "the left" be so threatened by Milo being persuasive? He is a ultra-conservative, hateful, bigoted, and does not offer any intellectual stimulation whatsoever. You know just as well as I do that in this political and social climate, almost nobody would attend a speech of his at Cal-Berkeley with the intent to sit there, listen, and then decide after whether or not his arguments were "convincing".

This has nothing to do with free speech. People cannot be forced to entertain hateful filth in the name of the Constitution. Speech that is known to incite crowds is not protected by the First Amendment (in case you didn't look up the case I cited for you).

So if Black Lives Matter rallies resulted in violence in Dallas, for instance, then their speakers could be banned at Berkeley? #knownto

Does anyone here think they would?

eta: But we don't even have to speculate. The fact that the violence was so horrific as to justify shutting down the speech but not horrific enough to result in a solitary arrest blows their cover. Does anyone seriously think this isn't the outcome they wanted?

Last edited:
Has anybody been following the University of Chicago professor's online defense of Milo and the backlash resulting from it? Interesting that the only conservative voices we tend to hear from on college campuses are either batshit crazy (Chicago medievalist), trolls (UNC-W sociologist, Marquette blogger), or crazy students (UT bake sale, for instance).

I'm sure there are plenty of smart, principled conservatives on college campuses in the US (maybe not in Sociology departments, I guess), but it's only the most extreme on both sides of the aisle that make noise.

I get all these college campus issues conflated seemingly, but was Cal the one where anarchists showed up and were throwing molotov cocktails while destroying property thus prompting the university to decide to cancel Milo's appearance? I'm confused why nobody was arrested, but molotov cocktails seem relatively serious.

I get all these college campus issues conflated seemingly, but was Cal the one where anarchists showed up and were throwing molotov cocktails while destroying property thus prompting the university to decide to cancel Milo's appearance? I'm confused why nobody was arrested, but molotov cocktails seem relatively serious.

Pretty sure they arrested 3 peeps. Not sure if they were students or not.

So if Black Lives Matter rallies resulted in violence in Dallas, for instance, then their speakers could be banned at Berkeley? #knownto

eta: But we don't even have to speculate. The fact that the violence was so horrific as to justify shutting down the speech but not horrific enough to result in a solitary arrest blows their cover. Does anyone seriously think this isn't the outcome they wanted?

So is this not true?

I have no idea the validity of this website because I've never seen it before, but this is the first link I saw on it that wasn't Breitbart:

http://sfist.com/2017/02/03/berkeley_fallout_milo_trump_protest.php

They count one arrest by university police and no arrests during the night of the protests themselves by Berkeley police, but two arrests the following morning, of two attackers targeting Berkeley College Republican organizers of the event who were being interviewed. The university tells Bay City News that those two people had no campus affiliation.

In a statement, Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguin called attention to way that the relatively few who had caused damage to campus and downtown were interpreted as representing the many who remained peaceful. "Unfortunately, last night, a small minority of the protesters who had assembled in opposition to a speaking engagement featuring a prominent white nationalist engaged in violence and property damage," Arreguin said. “They also provided the ultra-nationalist far right exactly the images they want to use to try to discredit the vast majority of peaceful protesters in Berkeley and across America who are deeply concerned about where our country is headed."

Ask him:

Lolz.

Your president/ hero is slamming the press because he's terrified people might realize he's actually a horrible person.

Ask him:

In this case, yes.

a835fc710aaaf2df32b62b4299de8f4c.jpg

You guys gave Milo his best case scenario. He has no supporter with better deliverables than his critics. It's weird to see people so proud of their intellect take such obvious bait.

Lolz.

Your president/ hero is slamming the press because he's terrified people might realize he's actually a horrible person.

I think you are referring to the President. He is belongs to the people now. He is no more mine than yours.

Since not being able to see an obvious ploy coming isn't apparently your strong suit, do you think the President is declaring war on the press because he's a) afraid of them, or b) keenly aware that his electoral base doesn't trust the press and he's conducting a proxy war for effect?

You guys gave Milo his best case scenario. He has no supporter with better deliverables than his critics. It's weird to see people so proud of their intellect take such obvious bait.

it's the left's fault that CPAC decided to uninvite him to their conference? that's a new one

I think you are referring to the President. He is belongs to the people now. He is no more mine than yours.

Since not being able to see an obvious ploy coming isn't apparently your strong suit, do you think the President is declaring war on the press because he's a) afraid of them, or b) keenly aware that his electoral base doesn't trust the press and he's conducting a proxy war for effect?

maxresdefault.jpg

Back