• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should there be consequences for universities that don't stand up for free speech?

remember when the republican-lead senate shut down a democrat's right to speak because they didn't like what she had to say?

carry on

This is a perfect analogy. The worst thing you can do to a grandstanding fraud is dignify their act with a protest.
Now it is four things:
1. Milo is gay.
2. Milo is conservative.
3. Stevie is blind.
4. Warren is an American Indian.

No. I remain directly on the op. Cal shut this guy down because they disagree with what he said. Y'all know it. Hence this behavior

"Y'all know it" is the best way to back up an argument.

"Y'all know it" is the best way to back up an argument.

When you're arguing with the crowd that will entertain the guy who sanctions throwing gay people off of a roof but won't host the guy likely to be thrown, in the sacred name of violence-prevention, you set your expectations accordingly.

How exactly did "Cal" shut down Milo? Pretty sure no one associated with "Cal" caused the riots.

Describe the factual basis of the security threat presented in this case that justified censorship. Was someone going to hurl a Topsider?

Nothing was censored, was it?

ETA: Asked differently, how did Cal as an institution censor Milo?

No. I remain directly on the op. Cal shut this guy down because they disagree with what he said. Y'all know it. Hence this behavior

You keep saying this, but that's just not what happened. What did the University do to shut him down on the basis of his speech?

Last edited:
This is a perfect analogy. The worst thing you can do to a grandstanding fraud is dignify their act with a protest.
Now it is four things:
1. Milo is gay.
2. Milo is conservative.
3. Stevie is blind.
4. Warren is an American Indian.

i actually agree with you

5. whine about SNL making fun of you and your admin

Last edited:
Why did they cancel the speech, jhmd? Your claim rests on proof that Berkeley administration canceled the speech due to wrongful censoring of free speech. The facts just don't support your claim. They're also why Trump's reactionary twitter tantrum didn't make much sense.

How many other speeches have they cancelled in the last 18 months, citing "security issues"? They've never had a security issue before? Never had a controversial speaker?

How many other speeches have they cancelled in the last 18 months, citing "security issues"? They've never had a security issue before? Never had a controversial speaker?

What does the link say?

What does the link say?

"While Yiannopoulos' views, tactics and rhetoric are profoundly contrary to our own, we are bound by the Constitution, the law, our values and the campus's Principles of Community to enable free expression across the full spectrum of opinion and perspective,"

Oh man. That sounds awful. It sounds like the protests were so violent and dangerous that they simply couldn't let this speech---that they totally wanted to have happen, you guys---take place. How violent is too violent for Constitutionally protected speech? I'm guessing we'd have to set the over/under on, what, 25 arrests? 30 arrests? What did the link say...

"No arrests were made throughout the night."

Well then.

We have an infantilized left who can't handle dissent and riots in the face of its opposition, and a feckless administration all too happy to capitulate to their demands, which conveniently line up with their own ideology.

We have an infantilized left who can't handle dissent and riots in the face of its opposition, and a feckless administration all too happy to capitulate to their demands, which conveniently line up with their own ideology.

Where you see an infantilized left, I see a smart university administration unwilling to jeopardize the wellbeing of its students for an extremist internet troll. That's how liability works and bureaucracy is inherently conservative.

Along those same lines (and Rush-talking points aside), you also seem to overstate administrative ideology as leftist, especially in this case where the university is run by Janet Napolitano.

There are certainly battles to fight here (and Milo is on them all), but this is just not a particularly good one, imo.

Where you see an infantilized left, I see a smart university administration unwilling to jeopardize the wellbeing of its students for an extremist internet troll. That's how liability works and bureaucracy is inherently conservative.

Along those same lines (and Rush-talking points aside), you also seem to overstate administrative ideology as leftist, especially in this case where the university is run by Janet Napolitano.

There are certainly battles to fight here (and Milo is on them all), but this is just not a particularly good one, imo.

The potential for violence inspired by Milo prompts cancellation of the speech.

Actual violence prompted zero arrests.

"Don't tell me your priorities. Show me your budget, and I'll tell you your priorities." - JB

The potential for violence inspired by Milo prompts cancellation of the speech.

Actual violence prompted zero arrests.

"Don't tell me your priorities. Show me your budget, and I'll tell you your priorities." - JB

He seems to incite violence pretty much everywhere that he goes nowadays. I wonder why that is?

"While Yiannopoulos' views, tactics and rhetoric are profoundly contrary to our own, we are bound by the Constitution, the law, our values and the campus's Principles of Community to enable free expression across the full spectrum of opinion and perspective,"

Oh man. That sounds awful. It sounds like the protests were so violent and dangerous that they simply couldn't let this speech---that they totally wanted to have happen, you guys---take place. How violent is too violent for Constitutionally protected speech? I'm guessing we'd have to set the over/under on, what, 25 arrests? 30 arrests? What did the link say...

"No arrests were made throughout the night."

Well then.

Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942).

Back