• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should We Hang CP3?

Well, in the day when freshmen didn't play... the dawn of time back in your day... how many players made their mark in their junior and senior year and had their jersey retired? The requirement is that you are great as a senior and graduate?

Three years minimum. Honor it otherwise. Nothing wrong with your jersey hanging in the rafters and then allowing someone else to wear the number.

First team consensus all american or close to it. three year minimum. can't major in sociology. too easy of a major.

lol

fish_trawling_ban_belize_oceana_headline.jpg

no, that's a trawler. which is what you use when you go fishing for large amounts.

Three years minimum. Honor it otherwise. Nothing wrong with your jersey hanging in the rafters and then allowing someone else to wear the number.

Interesting, but I'm not convinced.

Ridiculous. NCAA recognized consensus first team AA is good enough, period. #5 makes the list. #24 doesn't, FWIW -- only 2nd team all America. You just stripped Dickie of an honor.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2010/Awards.pdf

That said, CP3 was a consensus 1st team AA as well and even I am not sure I want his number retired because of the two year thing. If you take into account the whole fame thing and what he has done for the university since, that just opens up a can of worms. HOWEVER, having nine numbers retired is hardly a big deal so, if pressed, I'd vote to hang it/retire it as well.

If a player made first team All American on two polls and second team on one is good enough for me. Something like that. Rule of thumb. What is your view on the topic?

Last edited:
Ridiculous. NCAA recognized consensus first team AA is good enough, period. #5 makes the list. #24 doesn't, FWIW -- only 2nd team all America. You just stripped Dickie of an honor.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2010/Awards.pdf

That said, CP3 was a consensus 1st team AA as well and even I am not sure I want his number retired because of the two year thing. If you take into account the whole fame thing and what he has done for the university since, that just opens up a can of worms. HOWEVER, having nine numbers retired is hardly a big deal so, if pressed, I'd vote to hang it/retire it as well.

All voters didn't have TVs back then.

Skip's banner is hanging. How about Greason, McKinney, Odom and Gaudio?

I realize this is a totally subjective decision and I have not read through this whole thread. But I've been screaming about this for years and even in dispute with DeacsSon (WF Deacon04) over this.

Chris Paul's jersey and number need to be retired and placed in the rafters. I care not that he didn't graduate or only played two years. The man is the best thing to happen to Wake B'Ball since Timmy. First team All American, first team All NBA and all around great guy. We should fall on our knees and hope that the program gets another Chris Paul over the next ten, hell twenty years. This needs to get done!!!!

I realize this is a totally subjective decision and I have not read through this whole thread. But I've been screaming about this for years and even in dispute with DeacsSon (WF Deacon04) over this.

Chris Paul's jersey and number need to be retired and placed in the rafters. I care not that he didn't graduate or only played two years. The man is the best thing to happen to Wake B'Ball since Timmy. First team All American, first team All NBA and all around great guy. We should fall on our knees and hope that the program gets another Chris Paul over the next ten, hell twenty years. This needs to get done!!!!

Nobody ever wears 3 again?

Let's not forget...

When all is said and done, Chris Paul will be one of, if not the greatest PG to ever play in the NBA. Five years into his career, he's already on par in most of the categories with where Stockton, Thomas, Johnson were in their careers - and this was playing with 0 help in New Orleans. If he stays with Blake at what has become a highlight reel out in LA, it'll get ridiculous.

So that being said 2 or 3 years ago I was on the fence about this. I would say after the last few seasons and how far we've fallen, hang the fucking thing. All-American, great representative of the University, born and raised just down the street, and will go down as one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Who the hell do you guys think is coming to Wake Forest in the future? I'll pretty much guarantee you, it'll never be someone who will end up as good as CP3.

Back