• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should We Hang CP3?

amazing 5 page thread where everyone agrees to hang/retire it but keeper continues to bump it to the top

But there is a difference between honoring and retiring. That is the issue. I can't imagine anyone being against honoring Chris Paul.

But there is a difference between honoring and retiring. That is the issue. I can't imagine anyone being against honoring Chris Paul.

He got honored by the sports illustrated swimsuit issue. We need to up the ante if we want to compete.

The getting the degree thing is as dumb as it gets. If someone contributes significantly to a program the way Chris has, it's a gimme.

We already have too many numbers retired. We made a mistake years ago by not establishing the retire/honor, two-level system. It is too late to fix it for the ones already retired. But we must avoid compounding the error by retiring more numbers too easily.

In the case of CP, I would not retire his number. Jersey retirement is for accomplishments while at Wake ONLY. All of his NBA accomplishments and all the things he has done for the school since graduating have nothing to do with this decision. CP was a great player at Wake and may very well end up as the greatest point guard to ever play here. But, he was only here 2 years and had few concrete accomplishments, beyond his individual awards.

Personally I would be in favor of a rule requiring that a player play at Wake at least 3 years to have his number retired. Future great players who play 1 or 2 years before going pro could have their jerseys honored, in rare instances...

I agree we have too many numbers retired. I favor the honored system so you can honor as you see fit without preventing a current player from wearing that number. Too many numbers out of circulation. Fine with a few very exceptional players' numbers being retired.

Back