• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

how many whole chickens do you guys think for 20 people? 5 big'uns? smoking them for friends during a ski trip this weekend.

What are you planning to serve with it? I usually figure 4 people per chicken if there are at least two sides. If only one side, then I go with 1/2 a chicken per person.

Smoking a pork loin next Saturday. Not planning using a rub, but was thinking about injecting or using a brine. Any suggestions?

No rub at all? A pork loin is leaner than shoulders or butts, and my experience with injecting them resulted in pockets of spices and flavor rather than uniform flavoring. Its not a big deal if you are going to pull the loin, but if you intend to slice it, the results could be problematic. I've never brined anything except birds.

Well, not opposed to a rub, but didn't want anything too heavily spiced. What are some mild suggestions? Would just Kosher salt, pepper and granulated garlic be sufficent? Not looking for a BBQ type rub. Just going to be slicing the loin for people to make finger sandwiches with. If injecting, was just thinking of using apple juice or cider vinegar or a combo to add some moisture as I have read on Smoking Meat Forums that a loin can tend to dry out. Or, should I just baste instead?

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar and a little chili powder would be good. I also like adding some rosemary from time to time...I like its flavor with pork.

Well, not opposed to a rub, but didn't want anything too heavily spiced. What are some mild suggestions? Would just Kosher salt, pepper and granulated garlic be sufficent? Not looking for a BBQ type rub. Just going to be slicing the loin for people to make finger sandwiches with. If injecting, was just thinking of using apple juice or cider vinegar or a combo to add some moisture as I have read on Smoking Meat Forums that a loin can tend to dry out. Or, should I just baste instead?

I think that'd be a fine rub. Rubs just add so much extra flavor to the exterior of the meat. Eating smoked meat without some sort of rub just feels wrong to me.

That being said, another option is something similar to this: http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2010/11/rotisserie-stuffed-pork-loin-with.html
He uses a Weber gas grill, but it could also easily be achieved in a smoker I'd think. He butterflies and brines the loin before he stuffs it. The result looks absolutely amazing.

I wouldn't go low/slow smoking on a loin. There's almost no fat to break down. It's just not a cut meant for a long/slow cook. Grilling it with some added wood chunks/chips for smoke is probably the way to go. Sear all sides over flame, remove from heat and add your wood while bringing the temps down to 400 or so. Cook it indirectly until the center is about 10 degrees from your desired done temp. Rest under foil for 20 minutes and then slice.

The only way I've had luck pulling a loin is to crock pot it with lots of sauce to keep it from drying out during the long/slow cooking process.

Last edited:
What about searing it and then finishing in the smoker? Again, I'm not going to be pulling it, just slicing it for some finger sandwiches. Also, my grill is sketchy. Bought a fucking Char Broil gas grill a few years ago and it sucks. Grate is rusting through in several spots, flame tents are falling apart. Its in need of a good cleaning and some parts replaced (which I have, just haven't had the time yet). Fine for grilling or searing here and there right now but I don't know if I want to pull off cooking the whole thing on there.

ETA: What amounts for making the rub? I don't want to over salt it. Equal parts salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc...?

Last edited:
What about searing it and then finishing in the smoker? Again, I'm not going to be pulling it, just slicing it for some finger sandwiches. Also, my grill is sketchy. Bought a fucking Char Broil gas grill a few years ago and it sucks. Grate is rusting through in several spots, flame tents are falling apart. Its in need of a good cleaning and some parts replaced (which I have, just haven't had the time yet). Fine for grilling or searing here and there right now but I don't know if I want to pull off cooking the whole thing on there.

ETA: What amounts for making the rub? I don't want to over salt it. Equal parts salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc...?

It really doesn't sound like you're equipped to successfully execute this loin on the grill. Seems like your best bet at this point is to roast it in the oven.

I could do it on the grill, just hatin' on the grill right now and really want to use the smoker. Got the smoker for Christmas and have only used it twice. I'm firing the smoker up anyway to warm up some kielbasa.

3 racks of St Louis style ribs and a 7 pound butt are rubbed and ready to go. This is my first big smoke, first pork butt by myself too. Here we go!

Good luck! Hope it turns out well...post some pictures of the final product!

Cold with shifting winds today is making this a tough cook; temps are still rising, but I expected it to go faster. Hopefully the smoker will settle into cooking temperature soon.

Back