• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

How long do you let it rest, Racer? I think we are eating around 1:00 PM, so I need to have the butts on no later than 1:00 AM or sooner.

How long do you let it rest, Racer? I think we are eating around 1:00 PM, so I need to have the butts on no later than 1:00 AM or sooner.

Just depends. At least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours, depending on when I had to start the smoker and when I need to have things ready to eat. The nice part about resting in the cooler is rather than starting your smoke at 1AM, you could start it at 11 PM instead. Smoke for 11 hours, start resting at 10 AM in the cooler, take out of the cooler to pull/chop at 12:30 for a 1 PM lunch. Just be sure to line the cooler with towels...absorbs any leaking juices in case you don't wrap them well and some older coolers don't stand up well to 200+ degree heat being directly applied, resulting in cracking.

Good to know. Gonna have my dad come over and give me some company and help keep me awake. I bought the Mavrick dual thermometer and I have a gas smoker so we should be able to relax inside and monitor everything nicely. Thanks again for the tips! Also, going to try the rubs you posted a few pages back.

I'm going to try something different the next time I smoke game meat as inspired by a thread I read on the Weber forums. I'm going to cook it in my dutch oven inside of the smoker. Hoping to get the smoke taste along with the moisture benefits that lean game often needs from a dutch oven or crock pot.

I hope to eventually get a smaller smoker, because trying something like that with the size smoker I've got is just inefficient. A few years down the road, I'd love to have a Primo. I have nothing in between the size of my Weber Summit with the smoke box and my big one.

I hope to eventually get a smaller smoker, because trying something like that with the size smoker I've got is just inefficient. A few years down the road, I'd love to have a Primo. I have nothing in between the size of my Weber Summit with the smoke box and my big one.

I hear ya. I'd love to have something a little bigger than the Weber without having to tow it behind a car. :)

That said, for use at home, I'd really miss the "set it and forget it" nature of the Weber. Hard to replicate that without going to gas or an expensive pellet smoker.

Here are two of my favorites for butts, depending on what you're going for.

I like this one paired with an Eastern dip or a SC Mustard. It's on the spicy side:

Southern Succor Rub
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix ingredients thoroughly. Makes enough rub for one pork butt, with some leftover for use in the Southern Sop.

This is my go to when I want something to appeal to a larger crowd. It's less spicy. It works well without dip or with most any dip or sauce, Lexington/Western/Memphis/Mustard. I typically use Turbinado sugar in place of the white and brown in this recipe because it holds up to heat better and forms a better bark. You can crank the heat a bit with more chili/cayenne/black.

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Going to try the Chris Lilly rub on the butts for Easter. Is there a ratio of rub per pound I need to follow?

Is there a ratio of rub per pound I need to follow?

I just put as much as I can get to stick. It's only a tiny portion of the meat (i.e. the bark) that will have any rub on it anyway. It's hard to overdo the rub. I often rub once, let it sit and then add another layer just before going on the smoker.

Just threw a small butt on the smoker. Not a great day to sit around the smoker and drink beer since it is snowing. But it will be a great day to sit inside, drink beer and watch basketball while the smoker does its magic.

Preparing a turkey brine for smoking on Saturday. Any suggestions? I usually dissolve sugar and salt in water, throw in some peppercorns and an herb bouquet. Thinking about adding in some sliced fruit to the brine. Anyone have any unique additives?

Preparing a turkey brine for smoking on Saturday. Any suggestions? I usually dissolve sugar and salt in water, throw in some peppercorns and an herb bouquet. Thinking about adding in some sliced fruit to the brine. Anyone have any unique additives?

are you going for a sweeter turkey or a spicy turkey?

I've always used Alton Brown's turkey brine. Brown sugar, kosher salt, water and ice. A quick google search should yield the amounts.

I have smoked brats before with varying degrees of success, but trying a polish. Any tips? I keep reading about people cold smoking sausage, but not certain I want to do that.

roommate and I are gonna use my smoker for the first time tomorrow :willynilly:

I think he's picking up a pork shoulder and we'll go from there

should have most of the stuff already and what we don't have we'll pick up tonight. Its an older vertical I inherited from my friend's dad, gonna do a 9 lb pork shoulder. Reread most of this thread and I think I'm ready. The plan is to use this as a guide: http://www.thesmokerking.com/page1e.html

Gonna get the temperatures to 240-250 I guess, get the internal up the 180-190, and should be good I guess. We'll figure it out.

Fortunately, shoulders have one of the largest margins for error of anything you can smoke. Just dont catch it on fire and you'll be ok.

A fire department in our county was cooking a bunch of shoulders for a fundraiser a few weeks back and set their building on fire. It was quite embarrassing for them to have to call in a structure fire at their station. They were using a pit though, and had fired one section a little too hot. Just be diligent with your temps and you'll be fine.

yeah this already has a good thermometer mod on one side right at meat level so it shouldn't be hard to keep an eye on. Since its our first attempt I'm definitely gonna me overactive and check way too often though.

Just make sure not to take the lid off, you'll lose so much heat that way. Resist the urge to look at the meat.

Back