• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Putting the Laborless Day plans out there early, so as to grab the leadership in the Club House and letting you young bucks chase me.

Whole Turkey, rack of ribs (Nahunta), shoulder and salmon for bagels and lox on Tuesday morning.

Anyone want to walk your big bad ass into my wheelhouse? Pics to follow.

Last edited:
i've joined the cult. after having the WSM in the cart I decided to go with the Brinkmann (couldn't justify the cost difference for something i've never done before).

Made these mods this afternoon. http://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker

Holes in the charcoal bowl, eight holes and a thin piece of steel for a regulator and new thermo on the lid.

Gonna try a #butt tomorrow. Any advice for rubs?

Get HOW TO GRILL by Steven Raichlen. No better treatise on the subject.

There's a great new butcher shop a couple miles from the house, so I smoked a Berkshire boston butt from a local farm yesterday. Pastured, no anti-biotics or hormones, and the absolute best damn BBQ I've ever made. So much more flavor, much better marbling. Best part is that it was only $2.99/pound, the same price as the shitty Smithfield pork that you can buy at Harris Teeter.

Smoking a deer shoulder and possibly a pork shoulder for the first tailgate. If you're around, y'all should stop by and say hello.

Smoked a bone-in turkey breast today that I brined overnight. Extremely moist and tender, and only took about 4 hrs to cook a 6 pounder to 170. Definitely a good option to have in the arsenal when I don't have the time to babysit the smoker for 12 hrs for a pork butt.

Found an awesome butcher shop near my place. Can't wait to buy some meat from there and smoke it.

The deer shoulder turned out amazing. Used a beau monde rub and injected it with beef broth, cooking to 180 degrees internal. It reached 180 practically the same time my boston butts made it to 195.

The deer shoulder turned out amazing. Used a beau monde rub and injected it with beef broth, cooking to 180 degrees internal. It reached 180 practically the same time my boston butts made it to 195.

yes, this. so delicious.

I think I'm going with a WSM 18.5. I saw one at Lowe's and it looks like it should suit my needs at this point and won't take up as much space on my patio. I also started with a Brinkmann so this is a big step up.

I figure I can always upgrade in the future.

I think I'm going with a WSM 18.5. I saw one at Lowe's and it looks like it should suit my needs at this point and won't take up as much space on my patio. I also started with a Brinkmann so this is a big step up.

I figure I can always upgrade in the future.

The 18.5 is awesome; I've yet to find a situation where it was too small and/or insufficient for my needs.

The 18.5 is awesome; I've yet to find a situation where it was too small and/or insufficient for my needs.

I've found it, but that didn't stop me from stuffing 8 pork butts and/or 12 racks of ribs into it anyway.

Brisket just went on the BGE. Chopping some peppers for Bourbon Baked Beans that will cook on the smoker to catch some of the brisket drippings. It's game day, bitches!

1b7516cff95a1e8f1dece9211d4c34df.jpg

Thinking about doing some ribs tomorrow as well. That brisket looks legit!

Ribs just went on. May do some chickens tomorrow or possibly a brisket.

Bought a smoker box a couple of weeks ago. Did a chicken and some salmon then; today did another chicken and some sausage. Wish I had discovered this years ago...

Smoking some pork ass for the church this weekend on some oil tank gassers. Wanting to add some wood flavor but the aluminum pans we have are too short to fit across the burners. My Dad suggested we just slide them under the burners thinking they will still get hot enough for the wood to smoke. Does anyone think that will work? I don't. My Masterbuilt gasser has the wood pan a few inches above the flame.

Back