• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Heat and smoke naturally rise so it'll be cooler underneath the burners than above, plus you'll undoubtedly have air intakes below as they're required for the combustion of the gas. Without direct flame contact, you'll just end up with warm wood.

Heat and smoke naturally rise so it'll be cooler underneath the burners than above, plus you'll undoubtedly have air intakes below as they're required for the combustion of the gas. Without direct flame contact, you'll just end up with warm wood.

That is what I was thinking but trying to convince my Dad that it won't work is a tough task, especially when it involves spending ANY money. He is cheap! Guess I will spring for the $5 that the bigger disposal aluminum pans will cost. ;) Yes, he is THAT cheap!

Kill him with science. Your usual smoking chamber temperature is a good 150 degree below the ignition point for wood, and the temperature below the burners would be even lower. The reason it smolders in a normal smoking situation is due to the direct contact with the source (charcoal or gas flame).

Okay, I think I have a FUBAR situation here, but curious if you guys think anything can be saved. Short version is this: in the mountains this week, have some friends coming for the weekend. Wife went out yesterday to shop for the weekend and to my surprise, came back with a brisket (about six pounds). Here are the challenges:

1. There's no smoker in the house where we're staying. There's a Weber gas grill, but that's it.
2. It's a trimmed brisket, with not much fat.
3. I don't have any wood for smoke.

Is there any way to still cook this thing on the grill without ruining dinner tomorrow? I have everything I need to make a good rub, but I just don't know if it's a lost cause. Trying to avoid the 1.5 hour round trip to town to buy a new cut of meat, but will if I have to.

Any creative suggestions to save this?

Okay, I think I have a FUBAR situation here, but curious if you guys think anything can be saved. Short version is this: in the mountains this week, have some friends coming for the weekend. Wife went out yesterday to shop for the weekend and to my surprise, came back with a brisket (about six pounds). Here are the challenges:

1. There's no smoker in the house where we're staying. There's a Weber gas grill, but that's it.

Is there any way to still cook this thing on the grill without ruining dinner tomorrow? I have everything I need to make a good rub, but I just don't know if it's a lost cause. Trying to avoid the 1.5 hour round trip to town to buy a new cut of meat, but will if I have to.

If you have nothing to smoke with and will be cooking over a gas grill, why not just rub it down and let the oven do its job?

If you insist on wanting to use the gas grill and have multiple gas controls, you can light one side and put it on the end of the grill that is off. You'll need to rotate the meat around as the side closest to the flame will cook faster than the far side. If there is a Lowes or Wal-Mart nearby, you can buy a cheap smoke box and some wood chips.

Otherwise, I'd suggest cooking it in the oven like the others.

Braise and serve with Peach Bourbon Glaze.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Braised-Brisket-with-Bourbon-Peach-Glaze-388709

Peach bourbon glaze does sound good, except I think I'm lacking some of the key ingredients. I guess I didn't think of the oven because...well, I don't really ever use the oven - I'm grill/smoker or bust, generally.

So would you still target 225 in the oven like you would in the smoker? And besides the obvious loss of flavor from the wood, what else am I giving up by doing it in the oven?

Peach bourbon glaze does sound good, except I think I'm lacking some of the key ingredients. I guess I didn't think of the oven because...well, I don't really ever use the oven - I'm grill/smoker or bust, generally.

So would you still target 225 in the oven like you would in the smoker? And besides the obvious loss of flavor from the wood, what else am I giving up by doing it in the oven?

You'll be giving up some flavor in addition to the smoke. To help with that, you might consider searing it on really high heat before putting it in the oven, or maybe even a reverse sear as soon as it comes out of the oven before you rest it. I'd also look at what you can do to put it on a rack of some sort so it's not boiling in it's own juices so you'll have a crispy bark.

Last edited:

You'll be giving up some flavor in addition to the smoke. To help with that, you might consider searing it on really high heat before putting it in the oven, or maybe even a reverse sear as soon as it comes out of the oven before you rest it. I'd also look at what you can do to put it on a rack of some sort so it's not boiling in it's own juices so you'll have a crispy bark.

Yeah, you'll want to sear/brown it all around before starting your braise.

Never done it myself but I have heard you can smoke in the oven if you have a good vent system.

Mt tri-tip is quickly becoming my favourite to smoke and most requested meat. The reverse sear technique is phenomenal and such a different flavor than most people around here are used to.

Back