• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Yeah 300ish. Don't expect to be able to use drippings for gravy like you normally do if you're spraying the bird with cider.

What kind of smoker are you using? Make sure you open all of the intake vents and get good airflow to the coals. A little air makes a huge difference in the amount of heat produced.

Add more fuel at the start. That bird will absorb a lot of heat so don't worry about the smoker being too hot at the start (within reason).

My main smoker is a Cookshack and I've smoked many turkeys in it over the years. I stuff the cavity with apples and onions and smoke it at 225 for 10 hours. That's for a 10-12 pound turkey. Typically use hickory with some alder and apple wood. Unbeatable.

At 225, it's no problem. I brine for 12-16 hours, dry, season, then smoke (not cook) slow and low. The Cookshack makes it possible as opposed to an exposed flame heat-source. Much less moisture loss.

I've got the Brinkman. Made a few mods including a lid vent and holes and a grate in the fire bowl. We will have a turkey in the oven too so I'm not too worried if I fuck it up

I'm smoking a bone in turkey breast this weekend for a friends thanksgiving. Unfortunately I accidentally got a butterball-style pre brined turkey instead of non treated so I won't be able to brine like I normally would. Hoping it'll still turn out as good.

I'm smoking a bone in turkey breast this weekend for a friends thanksgiving. Unfortunately I accidentally got a butterball-style pre brined turkey instead of non treated so I won't be able to brine like I normally would. Hoping it'll still turn out as good.

Should be just fine; be mindful of the amount of salt in your rub (if you go that route).

Going to dry brine some Butterball turkey roasts, smoke them for a bit them finish a few of them in the fryer.

Should be just fine; be mindful of the amount of salt in your rub (if you go that route).

Yeah I think it'll be fine, just would have liked to make my own flavorful brine instead. Not sure how I'm going to rub it yet, want to keep it thanksgivingy so my normal rub is out.

Smoked a turkey for the first time this week with overall success. I used a simple salt/sugar brine, but am thinking of using a different more complex brine mixture next week, one with bay leaves, peppercorns, etc. Anyone have an opinion on whether there is a noticeable difference in flavor with different brines?

Smoked a turkey for the first time this week with overall success. I used a simple salt/sugar brine, but am thinking of using a different more complex brine mixture next week, one with bay leaves, peppercorns, etc. Anyone have an opinion on whether there is a noticeable difference in flavor with different brines?

I've never had any luck extracting a lot of flavor out of my brine. I too am curious to hear how others have done in this regard.

No basis for comparison here, I've only made pretty basic brine too. Seems like it'd take a lot of spices for there to be a really noticeable difference.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much/any noticeable flavor from spices. Sugar (in whatever form) and salt are the two flavors that impart well in brines, I assume because they are water soluble. The others are best left for topical application IMO (i.e. rubbed under the skin, etc).

I used Alton Brown's brine last year and roasted the turkey and it was the best I've ever had.

Any recs on a wireless thermometer? I just want to monitor temps while watching football.

I used Alton Brown's brine last year and roasted the turkey and it was the best I've ever had.

Any recs on a wireless thermometer? I just want to monitor temps while watching football.

That is what we have used in the past; brown sugar, kosher salt, warm water and ice to cool once mixed. Get a Maverick wireless thermometer.

Back