• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Storm for this weekend is still difficult to predict but will impact a decent number of people on the East Coast. Probably won't be a huge storm but models early today are somewhat interesting/pushing towards maybe a bit of an overrunning event.

A couple of models have yet another blizzard in Southern New England in five to six days. That would be catastrophic.

Storm for this weekend is still difficult to predict but will impact a decent number of people on the East Coast. Probably won't be a huge storm but models early today are somewhat interesting/pushing towards maybe a bit of an overrunning event.

A couple of models have yet another blizzard in Southern New England in five to six days. That would be catastrophic.

oh come the fuck on

10994592_10153050530306885_2850047340491705727_n.jpg

Yep, the Blizzard of '93. 15 inches of snow at my apartment in Marietta, GA. My brother got snowed in for 2 days at my place, had winter quarter finals starting at Georgia Tech, and no books with him. Luckily GT postponed the start for 2 days.

Yep. I was in high school in the NW mountains of NC. We got I don't know how many inches of snow, and it all blew into huge drifts. There was a drift taller than me at the top of our 1/2 mile driveway. My dad had parked our tractor at my grandmother's farm. As a result we were snowed in for I think 3 days until a neighboring farmer finally worked his way down to our place with his tractor and busted out our driveway. All kinds of stories from that blizzard. The local VFD got trapped while fighting a fire and had to spend a night in the house beside the burned out one, the local DOT guys had no clue how to function in that much snow and busted half their equipment, etc.

Guilford says remains from the storm and also cold.

I don't see much on the roads around here.

even some roads in my neighborhood in Winston still had ice spots on the sides

Hardly any ice could melt today

The neighborhood streets are still sketchy in GSO too, especially in shady spots.

The rest of the triad seems able to function just fine. Businesses open, everyone going to work. Closing an entire school district because a few neighborhood roads don't get enough sunlight is overkill.

it's funny how different we got it here. the atmosphere was so cold that all of our precip came as light, tiny, fluffy snow. just plow it out of the way and you're gold. no ice or sleet or freezing rain at all. so easy.

(unless you get feet of it, that is)

The rest of the triad seems able to function just fine. Businesses open, everyone going to work. Closing an entire school district because a few neighborhood roads don't get enough sunlight is overkill.

I agree. They should have been back in school today, and probably yesterday.

I don't understand why the school district doesn't develop modified bus routes for this situation. Let the parents bring their kids to a church in the neighborhood or something and pick them all up there.

There was something in the paper about several schools having issues with their heating systems so maybe that's part of it.

I get that for kids who live in the country or who don't have proper winter wear, it's difficult to force them to go to school. But why not make it a de facto optional day where you can come to school (helping the parents with care, schools with getting days in), but if not, no absence is counted? Isn't that what the last day of school is going to become anyway if the makeup falls on a Monday?

seems like any incident with buses, or any kid getting hit with a slushball at recess, or slipping on the ice on the playground would open you up to a lawsuit. i like the idea of telling parents to decide, but there is a definite overlap between the set of parents that will send their kids out just for the free babysitting and the set of parents that will sue with the slightest provocation.

Back in HS, my neighborhood was one of the ones where Cobb County Schools would test streets for ice/snow. If a bus could make it up the Mark Avenue hill (and some other really steep or hilly streets around the county), then schools would open. I would imagine Forsyth & Wake Counties (I added Wake b/c my FB feed was blown up with Wake County folks saying that they should open the schools in areas where streets were fine & leave the ones in the rural areas closed :wtf: ) may have similar test areas.

seems like any incident with buses, or any kid getting hit with a slushball at recess, or slipping on the ice on the playground would open you up to a lawsuit. i like the idea of telling parents to decide, but there is a definite overlap between the set of parents that will send their kids out just for the free babysitting and the set of parents that will sue with the slightest provocation.

I question how much litigation avoidance is part of the issue here. I mean, north of the Mason Dixon buses are running on ice, high school kids are driving on snow, and kids are presumably walking on ice and snow and throwing slushballs all winter and I haven't heard of any crippling slushball lawsuits. I guess somebody could always argue that the standard of care in the South is different than the standard of care in Buffalo NY but I hope the court system is not that far gone yet.

Here's the News & Record article which is not terribly clear on the justification for closing schools today but seems to have something to do with not being able to clear the ice from the school parking lots plus heating systems not being able to keep buildings warm enough. http://www.news-record.com/news/schools/schools-face-issues-as-temperatures-dip/article_06f7f610-b8ac-11e4-844b-3f1b1d1ed39d.html

Last edited:
Back