• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Apparently, 40W from Gallimore Dairy is pretty horrid. My friend who works at Baptist is trying to find an exit to turn around and go home.

Was it a pretty narrow swath of snow or something? On my street in W-S, there is nothing on the road.

I got to work way early before any flakes fell. Very few people have made it in...one person said the five miles from I440 down to the Brier Creek end of Glenwood took 45 minutes.

I got to work way early before any flakes fell. Very few people have made it in...one person said the five miles from I440 down to the Brier Creek end of Glenwood took 45 minutes.

That's probably normal for Raleigh though.

My grandpa is pissed because he was planning on playing golf today. Can I retire now?

Local TV is showing a big wreck on I40 at peters creek.

Hearing reports of wrecks here too, but I wonder how much of it was actually snow related as opposed to bad driving in general. The roads here are fine, maybe you shouldn't take a turn at 30 mph, but that's just as true during a rainstorm in July as a dusting of snow in February. I guess my point is that I'm not buying into all this "the roads are a mess" talk after a dusting. And I grew up in Florida, so it's not like I'm used to winter weather and am being a northern snob about it.

CLT weather now predicting 4-6" tomorrow so I presume we will get a shitload of rain

I drove into downtown GSO, grabbed my laptop, and came home. The roads are definitely slick, I spun tires a few times etc. I grew up in NW NC mountains so I know how to deal with this but definitely the majority of NC drivers should just stay home today. High school kids should NOT be driving. Right call on school closing.

ETA
<6006 - not a bad palindrome post.

Last edited:
Roads in HP are actually pretty nice. I'm a cautious driver in this weather, but I didn't have any problems or concerns. The only snowy parts on Skeet Club and Eastchester are the places between tire lines. It's warm enough that there's water on the roads, not ice.

Roads in HP are actually pretty nice. I'm a cautious driver in this weather, but I didn't have any problems or concerns. The only snowy parts on Skeet Club and Eastchester are the places between tire lines. It's warm enough that there's water on the roads, not ice.

it's currently 23 degrees in High Point so I doubt the current temperature has anything to do with water rather than ice on the roads. Likely, the temps on Sunday and Monday warmed up the roads a bit.

Sitting at work, and the roads in GSO are way worse this morning than at any point last week. Salt trucks just now getting rolling so major roads should be fine later this morning.

Guilford County closed. They're not calling for any accumulation.

Talk about an absurd excess of caution.

This is why you can’t always laugh at the closings and the safety the Counties are forced to take. I saw lots of cars that slid off the roads on my way to work this morning.

it's currently 23 degrees in High Point so I doubt the current temperature has anything to do with water rather than ice on the roads. Likely, the temps on Sunday and Monday warmed up the roads a bit.

I'm quite confident that's the reason for it.

This is why you can’t always laugh at the closings and the safety the Counties are forced to take. I saw lots of cars that slid off the roads on my way to work this morning.

Oh, I'm not laughing...

This one's on DOT. We didn't need to close school for this one had the roads been prepared.

We need to have other plans for how to hold school when it snows. The last few years have been horrible for school closings. I don't think we can just sit back and say we don't get enough snow to justify spending money to rectify the problem. With the frequency of snow closures, we need to equip the schools so they can keep school going in up to 3-4" of snow.

40 is def a mess. 1/2 - 1" shouldn't cause this many problems.

vxhxbdq.png

Rev nailed it. People drive like idjits in snow around here. The roads today are perfectly passable IF you drive slowly, lay off the breaks and proceed with caution. No northern snob here either.

Huffman's call map for tomorrow - take it (does not include the totals from today - some ensembles will so take note):

B-nYP7IUMAEIRgg.jpg:large

Back