• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Where in N. Georgia mountains? This is one of those that might be worth driving even though it does not look like it on paper. All depends where but you may be looking at saving 1.5 hours travel but zero flexibility on when you arrive and leave. I am sure you looked into it but funny how many "100% I am going to fly" locations just are not worth it after 9/11 and the headaches that followed.
We'll be in north Georgia for a wedding Saturday evening. Supposed to drive back to the ATL on Sunday & then home to Raleigh Monday afternoon.

This does not bode well for us. :rulz:

Been watching this predicted storm for a while and last week at the end of the Minnesota and Seattle game they made the comment that Seattle would be playing in what was predicted High 40’s and low 50’s and in my mind I thought “not according to Drew"
There is a possibility at this point (would much prefer snow to cold, mid-30's rain).

Any chance we will be impacted by Hurricane Alex?
Hurricane Alex formed in the Atlantic Ocean Thursday, the first hurricane to form in January since 1938, the National Weather Service announced.

Any chance we will be impacted by Hurricane Alex?

From my understanding, no. Several news and weather sources are saying it will stay close to where it is now and dissipate. There was some scientific reason that they all gave, but I can't remember what it was right now.

Where in N. Georgia mountains? This is one of those that might be worth driving even though it does not look like it on paper. All depends where but you may be looking at saving 1.5 hours travel but zero flexibility on when you arrive and leave. I am sure you looked into it but funny how many "100% I am going to fly" locations just are not worth it after 9/11 and the headaches that followed.

The wedding is in Ball Ground. We are driving, not flying. Would rather not have potential icy road conditions on the trip.

From Drew's Facebook premium account.
1ef4748fd86bcb77d75b233d960187f4.jpg

From Quagmire Weather
12549092_1210101135685628_9058748819643019530_n.png

"MONDAY JANUARY 18, 2016 2:00 PM
MONDAY 12Z EURO OPERATIONAL MODEL BURIES PRACTICALLY ALL OF VIRGINIA, THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION AND NORTHEAST US WITH RECORD BREAKING SNOWFALL AND A POTENTIAL BLIZZARD!...
THE LAST 5 CONSECUTIVE MODEL RUNS AND I MEAN ALL THE MODELS NOT JUST THE EURO NOW POINT TO A POTENTIALLY HISTORIC WINTER SNOW STORM THAT HAS A MEDIUM POTENTIAL TO BECOME A BLIZZARD.
THE EURO NOW DUMPS ANYWHERE FROM 10-24" IN FAR SW VA TO AS MUCH AS 2-3 FEET OR MORE OF HEAVY SNOW ALONG THE I-81 CORRIDOR FROM MARION, VA ALL THE WAY UP TO AT LEAST SYRACUSE, NY. THIS INCLUDES ALL OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VIRGINIA INCLUDING THE US 29 CORRIDOR FROM GREENSBORO, NC TO PHILADELPHIA (DANVILLE, LYNCHBURG, CHARLOTTESVILLE, ALL OF METRO DC/BWI AND THE I-85/I-95 CORRIDOR OF VIRGINIA FROM PETERSBURG/RICHMOND NORTH TO BOSTON. AREAS EAST OF I-95 IN VIRGINIA WILL SEE SNOWFALL AS WELL IN THE 2-12" DEPENDING ON HOW FAR INLAND YOU GO."

Last edited:
Excerpt from Ray's Weather who forecasts in the High Country and Great Smokies for later this week...raysweather.com

A powerful low builds in Texas Thursday. Details regarding it's path across the Southeast remain to be determined, and the details will be crucial because we will be near the divide between all snow (north) and a snow/mix/snow showers scenario (south). At this point, we think mostly snow for most of NW NC. If it is all snow, you may need more than a ruler to measure the final product. Snow begins Thursday afternoon, is heaviest Thursday night into Friday, then changes to snow showers Friday night into Saturday morning. Stay tuned!

Widespread snow event for most of the east coast coming next weekend. Could be very bad for the mid-Atlantic

Widespread snow event for most of the east coast coming next weekend. Could be very bad for the mid-Atlantic

I'd love to see more detail amounts etc in predictions. We have a lot of ish (working on travel and a possible funeral) going on and it would help to know. The website that I normally read had gotten very pretentious and now charges (his attitude not the charges make him pretentious, if he didn't have the attitude, I would pay for it). I can't see his detailed forecast. If anyone hears amounts, please let me know.

Flying down to Florida out of Raleigh on Friday afternoon, so if this damn snow could hold off until 3pm that'd be great. Thaaaannnkkkssss.

oo what weather site is it that has gotten pretentious sounds awesome

Back