• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

It will be interesting to see if this storm follows some of the trends over the past few years of coming straight up the coast and bombing out over the 95 corridor with widespread snow from DC up through Boston. As of right now there's a very sharp cutoff on precipitation with most parts of New England getting nothing. I wouldn't be shocked to see the storm actually bomb out over southern New England and still drop a foot plus everywhere from DC up. Still hard to believe some of the model numbers showing up for NC/Virginia. Some of them still have the Winston over a foot to a foot and a half.

My way too early projections that assuredly nobody but me cares about are:

8" for Winston
24" for D.C.
16" for Philly
5" for Boston

It will be interesting to see if this storm follows some of the trends over the past few years of coming straight up the coast and bombing out over the 95 corridor with widespread snow from DC up through Boston. As of right now there's a very sharp cutoff on precipitation with most parts of New England getting nothing. I wouldn't be shocked to see the storm actually bomb out over southern New England and still drop a foot plus everywhere from DC up. Still hard to believe some of the model numbers showing up for NC/Virginia. Some of them still have the Winston over a foot to a foot and a half.

My way too early projections that assuredly nobody but me cares about are:

8" for Winston
24" for D.C.
16" for Philly
5" for Boston

Plz to update for Raleighwood totals kthx.

Raleigh is a tough one, it looks like it's right around the area where mixing is a serious concern so it's a matter of how much rain, freezing rain/sleet, and snow the area gets. I would maybe say 8-10" if it's all snow, probably something more like 8" of snow with a quarter to half inch of ice is more appropriate? If it's just a lot of rain at the outset it could be like 2-4". Temperature is huge on this one.

Last edited:
Of course if the storm is just 30-50 miles further south and all snow it could be a difference of half a foot to a foot from those projections (as in everywhere in the top half of NC over through Raleigh would get much more precipitation/snow than I think). Pretty thin margin on this storm.

Its going to be anywhere in this range.

482190135-trimmed-hedges-of-different-sizes-gettyimages.jpg

Flurrying hard here and sticking to buildings/the one road I can see.

Not big flakes, but a lot of them.

Just got briefed on Wake County by NCEM. Raleigh is going to be tough, its right on the dividing line. 85 to 64 is the line they're thinking. They're predicting 2" of moisture to fall. Areas N of 64 could be all snow, areas south a mix. The timing will impact how much accumulation.

Back