• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So apparently "After Earth" is incredible

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
I'm sure the thought crossed your mind that a movie directed by M. Night Shyamalan starring Will Smith's son had the potential to be an all-time classic. Unfortunately, it looks like you were mistaken.

Currently sitting at 13% on Rotten Tomatoes after 23 reviews...and dropping.

Some snippets from various critics...

We open with a voice-over, followed immediately by flashbacks. Incredibly, with these bold strokes, “After Earth” announces it will be terrible right from the outset, and woe be upon the person who holds out hope that it will get better after the initial wobbly start. It will not get better, it will only get worse, until you’re actively cheering for a teenage kid to get eaten by a tiger (and wanting the tiger to savor every bite).

Then there's Jaden, who's put in the horrible position of playing opposite his father's dead-behind-the-eyes performance. It's no fault of his own his character is a brat, but it's baffling to believe anyone would think an audience would want to watch a whiny little teenager go through puberty while searching for a rescue beacon while his father plays the human-embodiment of HAL.

Basically, this is Smith and his real-life son, Jaden (both affecting ridiculous mid-Atlantic accents) talking the audience to death for something like 90 minutes before the closing credits.

They set out to make a sci-fi film with the power to change the way you look at your fellow man. And they made one that just made me want to leave this planet that much sooner.

As Cypher tells his son, everything on Earth has adapted to kill humans. Why the animals of Earth all have human bloodlust given the fact that the air there has been unable to support homo sapiens life is never explained (and it’s clearly not all life as Kitai sees birds and tons of flora and fauna in the very first scene…just scary, fanged life). It’s only one of several decisions that make no sense. Where do we begin? The CGI monkey chase scene? There’s nothing effective about CGI monkeys. The accents? They sound vaguely British, vaguely Indian, vaguely pretentious cult leader, and vaguely made-up, and will be mocked for decades, long after the film’s been forgotten (“The accents were silly but at least they weren’t as bad as “After Earth””).

More: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/after_earth/

Wow! I never saw that coming. Could it be worse than I am Legend?

I had no idea that M. Night directed it. It's a shame that that guy can't seem to get back on his feet.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but I think M. Night Shamalamadingdong's rotten tomatoes trajectory should be in the negative by now based on his trending. Plus, can we really still call Will Smith a major movie star?

Expected this and Oblivion to be shitty when I saw their trailers back to back 6 months ago. For someone so universally loved, Will Smith makes some bad movies.

Expected this and Oblivion to be shitty when I saw their trailers back to back 6 months ago. For someone so universally loved, Will Smith makes some bad movies.

I still find it hilarious that Smith turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix so he could film Wild Wild West.

From piecing together some of the reviews it seems like Will isn't even in it that much. After the first 15 minutes, it sounds like it's mostly Jaden's movie with an occasional check-in with Will in the crashed ship.

CHillDeac said:
I still find it hilarious that Smith turned down the role of Neo in The Matrix so he could film Wild Wild West.
He turned down the role of Django in "Django Unchained" to do this one.

I'd love to have been in the room when a group of studio executives decided to give M. Night Shymalan 130 million dollars to make a sci-fi movie starring Jaden Smith.

Considering the spate of crappy movies with lots of flash, CGI, comic book heroes, ridiculous storylines, and bad acting, I see no reason this shouldn't be just as warmly embraced.

I hadn't heard about this movie until yesterday, but there is no way it isn't horrendous.

m-night-shyamalan-graph.png

wow i thought this was going to be bad BEFORE realizing m. night was involved

good grief, recipe for disaster

jaden smith is a horrible, horrible actor

The Happening was the worst thing i've ever seen in a movie theater. Started laughing awkwardly at it 20 minutes in and left after 45. Can't believe that movie made it through test screening to wide release.

wow i thought this was going to be bad BEFORE realizing m. night was involved

good grief, recipe for disaster

jaden smith is a horrible, horrible actor

I have never seen a JS movie, but I'll just take your word for it.

I actually love The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. I think the latter is extremely rewatchable and Bruce Willis and Sam Jackson are fantastic together. I really like the first 3/4 of Signs and the first 3/4 of The Village (before the big reveals, which are both really bad). Then Shyamalan just really went off the rails, and I'm not exactly sure why.

Back