• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So apparently "After Earth" is incredible

I absolutely hated Unbreakable when it was in theaters, but I re-watched it last night partly thanks to this thread and loved it. I think my antipathy stemmed from the idea back then that a movie about comic book heroes could not be taken seriously, but given the success of Watchmen, The Dark Knight, The Avengers, etc., I think Unbreakable would be much better received if it were released today.

I saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino online where he said Unbreakable was one of his favorite movies of the last 20 years. He said he thought it was marketed poorly, which is why it wasn't received as well as The Sixth Sense. He said his fix would've been a one-line teaser on the posters and commercials that just said, "What if Superman was alive on Earth, but never realized he was Superman..."

I saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino online where he said Unbreakable was one of his favorite movies of the last 20 years. He said he thought it was marketed poorly, which is why it wasn't received as well as The Sixth Sense. He said his fix would've been a one-line teaser on the posters and commercials that just said, "What if Superman was alive on Earth, but never realized he was Superman..."

So Tarentino would have given the whole movie away in the Tagline...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

That teaser with a comic book reference wouldn't have worked that well back then, plus it would have given away part of the twist.

That's like a teaser for the Sixth Sense, "What if a dead guy helped a little kid?"

I haven't seen the movie in awhile but I thought the actual twist was that Mr. Glass was looking for him and created the disasters to try and find him. I didn't think we were really questioning that the character was Unbreakable. That was the name of the movie.

Yeah. That's why I said part of the twist.

By the way, I'm not sure you can use a licensed character to promote a movie.

I'd assume Superman has been around so long that it'd probably be fair use or something like that, but I don't know if a studio would find it worthwhile
to take it up with Warner in court. "Waiting for Superman" made out OK.

Good point. There was the Superman reference in Spiderman that was used in the promos as well.

One of my neighbors had to go to Mexico to get a Superman tattoo on his arm because no one would do it here, apparently. It looks badass, though.

In a recent interview M. Night admitted to having written She's All That. Uncredited of course.

Ladies and gentlemen, the rare intra-thread Haas (see post 100)

Back