• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"So I stuck with it, and now we’re here" / Dan's Article on McKie's Senior Night

that's what I thought - with summer school, etc. could have accrued enough/nearly enough credits to graduate in Dec. or something, but needed to be a full time student this semester

Understood -- but this still is not "ahead of schedule" to graduate. He will still be graduating 8 semesters after he enrolled.

The endowment should give Travis a graduation "gift" for what he has had to endure for 4 years. His pro career was ruined at Wake Forest.

Let's ask CP3 and JT to cut this guy a check with a cover letter saying "Sorry dude, you seriously woulda gone HAM under Skip or Dino. Go Deacs."

J. Riddell ‏@Joshua_Riddell 17m
Travis McKie needs to have his Wake Forest jersey retired for playing under [Redacted] for four years.

You don't get your jersey retired for that... duh.

It should be an act of sacrifice painful enough to replace Lawrence Joel's name on the coliseum with Travis'.

How the hell is he ahead of schedule to graduate? Seems to me that he is exactly on pace to graduate in four years. If he was ahead of schedule he would have already graduated. Fucking Bztanic can't even be honest about that.

In fairness, one can have more than enough credits to graduate and still graduate with the rest of the class.

Fair enough. Also in fairness, he has grown up off the court. And I mean that in a very positive fashion.

Spring of their Senior Year is always the toughest semester for them- graduation wise

“My family and close friends and just faith — faith that things would happen and turn around,” McKie said. “Everything happens for a reason. I made a commitment to stay here when I was a junior in high school. Things change. Gaudio left. They brought in Coach Buzz. I was still in love with the program. I decided to still come no matter what. I honored my decision.
“And that’s one thing I was taught as a kid:. Everything you do, you have to stick with it — whether it’s tough or not. So I stuck with it, and now we’re here.”
Classy comments.

“My family and close friends and just faith — faith that things would happen and turn around,” McKie said. “Everything happens for a reason. I made a commitment to stay here when I was a junior in high school. Things change. Gaudio left. They brought in Coach Buzz. I was still in love with the program. I decided to still come no matter what. I honored my decision.
“And that’s one thing I was taught as a kid:. Everything you do, you have to stick with it — whether it’s tough or not. So I stuck with it, and now we’re here.”

Translated to say, "I should have gone to UVA."

So sad that Travis was the only player to have to endure 4 years of this Bzaster...and not to mention the students, and of course, all of us.

On the bright side, at least this 4 year class got a bowl bid in football.

For many of us, the football team never even sniffed 5 wins per season while we were at Mother So Dear.

Fuck the Travis haders. Poor guy.

This. Interesting to see them drop off one by one as the season continued, though. Statistically speaking, the dude ended up far closer to his junior numbers than I think a lot of the haters thought. Considering his move to the wing, the only stat he really took a step back in was rebounding and it's kind of justified given our running two bigs down low.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2010/04/wellman-and-[Redacted].jpg

BZ IS COMING BACK, Y'ALL

Cheers to Travis. Guy's a trooper for putting up with this his whole career. He deserved much better.
dtefTkO.gif

To be fair, Bz has no reason to know how long it takes a player to earn a degree. Travis is the first (and last) person in history that will be able to say he played his entire collegiate career under Jeff [Redacted].

The first, and very very likely the last. I can't get past that every time I hear the "4 year player" BS from Wellman, Buzz and the Culture Club.

Honestly, he doesn't really have the tools for the NBA, and he'll make more money playing ball overseas based on his numbers from starting 4 years for awful teams than he would have as a 6th or 7th man on a legitimate ACC team. While his decision sucked for his college experience, he also could have gone to VCU and gotten shelved behind Graham. He might have ended up in Latvia for $60k/year...

So there's at least a silver lining once he leaves the [Redacted] nightmare behind him.

J. Riddell ‏@Joshua_Riddell 17m
Travis McKie needs to have his Wake Forest jersey retired for playing under [Redacted] for four years.

Yeah. Instead of a Final Four banner his jersey could read "Only Four."

What a great attitude about a seriously effed up situation. To make matters worse he could have been a part of UVa's once-in-a-generation seasion but instead gets to come home to Richmond with no team accomplishments having to endure insufferable UVa fans.

Back