• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"So I stuck with it, and now we’re here" / Dan's Article on McKie's Senior Night

The endowment should give Travis a graduation "gift" for what he has had to endure for 4 years. His pro career was ruined at Wake Forest.

No, his inability to play basketball at an NBA level ruined his pro career.

I feel so sorry for Travis. The only player to have Bzz for four years. The guy who saw his dreams squashed day after day and year after year. Poor guy.

So you're Travis and you just got fouled as time expired, down 1 point tonight.

Are you torn about what to do? Hit the free throws and the story is the news of [Redacted] potentially getting fired stirred the team to victory. Miss them and your last home game is another brutal loss. Or do you go Chris Paul style and airball them intentionally, maybe toss the double bird at [Redacted] and just walk straight down the tunnel?

Holy Shit. Please....this!

Honestly, he doesn't really have the tools for the NBA, and he'll make more money playing ball overseas based on his numbers from starting 4 years for awful teams than he would have as a 6th or 7th man on a legitimate ACC team. While his decision sucked for his college experience, he also could have gone to VCU and gotten shelved behind Graham. He might have ended up in Latvia for $60k/year...

So there's at least a silver lining once he leaves the [Redacted] nightmare behind him.

I think people on here continue to understate McKie's basketball ability. Travis would start for almost every team in the ACC, and if he didn't it would be because of a mismatch in the starting lineup...like if he was behind a future NBA player at the same position.

I know you have this love affair with Travis going, but he wouldn't start for a lot of teams with his current abilities and skillset. Certainly not VCU or UVA. Not Duke. Not UNC. Not Syracuse. There are a lot of really good 3's in this league that have consistently won matchups with Travis. He's a classic tweener, doesn't really have a 3's skillset but not big enough or physical enough for the 4. Doesn't do a great job guarding either position, but he's solid. He's just solid all around.

Now, if you want to argue that under different coaching he would have the handle of a true 3 guard, or that other coaches would have figured out better ways to use him as I think you've done in the past, I guess we'll never know - but it's a fair argument. Travis has been a nice player during an epically bad stretch for Wake Forest, so there's really no way to argue that his numbers aren't inflated - plus he's barely in the top 3 in scoring on our own team as he gets an extra 5 minutes a game to outscore Coron by 2.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Travis stayed and dealing with 4 years of [Redacted] must have been miserable. The transfers must have sucked as he's had no consistency. He has every excuse to not have reached his potential but my point is just that the silver lining is he's had 4 years of great ACC numbers to earn him a lot of money somewhere without having to sweat out whether or not he can make a living. A lot of guys who run into a [Redacted] don't have that luxury.

As I type this, Travis nails a game-opening 3. Hope he drops 40 on Duke and makes $1 million in Europe.

Travis is like a less sporadic, less athletic, more mustached Trent Strickland

Back