• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, who will fill Nikita's shoes next year?

Defense will obviously miss Nikita and company next year. I believe he will be given an opportunity by someone at the next level as will Zack Thompson. When you play the 3-4 and lose your NG and both DE's, there will be some attrition. Especially, when one is an All ACC player like Nikita. Mike and Justin will be missed sorely at LB as well. I would expect the defense to not be as strong next year. No offense to the guys returning but that was a very experienced and talented group that is departing. Recruiting on that side of the ball has been ok though so that is not my major concern.
Where the concern SHOULD be is the offensive offense.

Defense will obviously miss Nikita and company next year. I believe he will be given an opportunity by someone at the next level as will Zack Thompson. When you play the 3-4 and lose your NG and both DE's, there will be some attrition. Especially, when one is an All ACC player like Nikita. Mike and Justin will be missed sorely at LB as well. I would expect the defense to not be as strong next year. No offense to the guys returning but that was a very experienced and talented group that is departing. Recruiting on that side of the ball has been ok though so that is not my major concern.
Where the concern SHOULD be is the offensive offense.

Of course, but that sucks every year, kind of figure that to be a given unless something makes Grobe decide to change the one constant in our years of bad offense.

In his press conference this week, Grobe insinuated that Price will start in his "you play to win the game" comment.

In his press conference this week, Grobe insinuated that Price will start in his "you play to win the game" comment.

I guess I really think Tanner should play. I'm not sure how much good it would do to throw Cameron out there the last game of the year anyway. It's pretty much a given that whoever is behind center will be facing a lot of pressure, our O-line couldn't keep Duke's pass rush off of Tanner, so not sure there would be much of a chance to get Cameron much confidence and positive experience.

As a side note, I'd love to see Tanner go out on a good note. I think he's a really good kid and was really thrown into a tough situation having to start as a true frosh and we never put a good O-line in front of him. Plus, the coach's put a terrible offensive scheme on him to start the year and judging from the look on his face at the Deacon Walks, I just don't think he's enjoyed playing football this year.

Honestly, I would start him and play him until he proved he can't (by ability) or doesn't want to (by attitude) win! He has given too much and tolerated too much with flavors of the week philosophies to not start.

I guess I really think Tanner should play. I'm not sure how much good it would do to throw Cameron out there the last game of the year anyway. It's pretty much a given that whoever is behind center will be facing a lot of pressure, our O-line couldn't keep Duke's pass rush off of Tanner, so not sure there would be much of a chance to get Cameron much confidence and positive experience.

As a side note, I'd love to see Tanner go out on a good note. I think he's a really good kid and was really thrown into a tough situation having to start as a true frosh and we never put a good O-line in front of him. Plus, the coach's put a terrible offensive scheme on him to start the year and judging from the look on his face at the Deacon Walks, I just don't think he's enjoyed playing football this year.

I agree about Tanner being a good kid and I too would very much like to see him go out on a high note. However, next season's QB needs game experience. Playing against a SEC team on their field would be a good experience (he'll have several months to heal). Unless Cameron is horrible (and I don't think he is) it is inexcusable that we did not play him more this season. So, unless Tanner is really hot and our defense is shutting down Vandy, I would be for playing Cameron the entire 2nd half.

it took me basically all year to stop associating Nikita with that basketball player who airballed layups all the time. i guess we are still a basketball school.

In response to OP, this is the same question I had about the basketball team two years ago.

i remember an awesome nikita shot where he wasn't even looking at the hoop and tossed it backwards over his head with two hands and it went over the backboard

i remember an awesome nikita shot where he wasn't even looking at the hoop and tossed it backwards over his head with two hands and it went over the backboard

you mean this Nikita?

6_1_t400.jpg

I agree about Tanner being a good kid and I too would very much like to see him go out on a high note. However, next season's QB needs game experience. Playing against a SEC team on their field would be a good experience (he'll have several months to heal). Unless Cameron is horrible (and I don't think he is) it is inexcusable that we did not play him more this season. So, unless Tanner is really hot and our defense is shutting down Vandy, I would be for playing Cameron the entire 2nd half.

#culture

Something actually can be said for a true culture change- at halftime of the game on saturday a dook fan nearby was overheard saying that Cutcliffe had changed their culture as dook teams of old would have laid down and never come back from being down 2 TD's.

Hopefully one guy will fill his right shoe and another will fill his left shoe and we'll get away from the 3-4.

Back