• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Some people argue about some stuff

I hate to bust everybody's bubble on this "cops are awesome, heroes, ect., but the job is to protect and serve. It's a hard job with a lot of risk and little reward, but that still doesn't excuse the few cops who kill people. I'm probably not going to make the news for being kick ass at my job, but if I fuck up and kill someone, it's damn sure going to be news. There's nothing unfair about that.

I don't disagree about that. I just think Charles has a point that there isn't some systemic issue of racism in Americas police. There are individuals who are most certainly racist but the overwhelming percentage if policemen/women are there to actually serve and protect everyone.

Our real issue is over militarization and that is what ferguson should be about. That is where the real argument in the system is to be made. Instead it has become race bait.

You'd think the overwhelming percentage of cops and DAs and judges would be working hard to weed out the "racists."

I don't disagree about that. I just think Charles has a point that there isn't some systemic issue of racism in Americas police. There are individuals who are most certainly racist but the overwhelming percentage if policemen/women are there to actually serve and protect everyone.

Our real issue is over militarization and that is what ferguson should be about. That is where the real argument in the system is to be made. Instead it has become race bait.
That's not a single "point", that's a whole argument that you and Chuck are trying to make, based on nothing. The term "DWB" didn't come from over-militarization. Over militarization didn't take Eric Garners life. I'm happy for Chuck that he's lived such a life as to have avoided the effects of systemic racism, but his singular experience is a drop in the bucket. Let him get a bullhorn and tell the protestors around the country that systemic racism isn't real.

When Chuck gets pulled over by a cop, the reaction is more likely to be "Oh wow, you're Charles Barkley! Can I get an autograph?"

I notice Wrangor didn't post Kenny Smith's rebuttal.

When Chuck gets pulled over by a cop, the reaction is more likely to be "Oh wow, you're Charles Barkley! Can I get an autograph?"

I notice Wrangor didn't post Kenny Smith's rebuttal.

I didn't see it. Post it.

That's not a single "point", that's a whole argument that you and Chuck are trying to make, based on nothing. The term "DWB" didn't come from over-militarization. Over militarization didn't take Eric Garners life. I'm happy for Chuck that he's lived such a life as to have avoided the effects of systemic racism, but his singular experience is a drop in the bucket. Let him get a bullhorn and tell the protestors around the country that systemic racism isn't real.

So we are allowed to laud Chris Rocks singular experience but we aren't allowed to recognize Barkleys. Got it. Fantastic interview vs. opinion based on nothing. Amazing how these discussions seem to follow the same script.

Lol. Going back to the sports board. It's been real.

So we are allowed to laud Chris Rocks singular experience but we aren't allowed to recognize Barkleys. Got it. Fantastic interview vs. opinion based on nothing

You posted this:
What are your thoughts on the following Charles quote:

'The notion that white cops are out there just killing black people -- that's ridiculous. That's just flat-out ridiculous. Cops are actually awesome. They are the only thing in the ghetto between this place being the wild, wild west. So this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous and I hate that narrative coming out of this entire situation."

When someone states, "...this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous", I feel pretty confident refuting them based on recent events.

You'll be back.

Of course. I am just slowing way down posting here. It is the same formula pretty much every thread.

Better to just read up on events and find another avenue for discussion. This forum has jumped the shark.

peace-bitches-obama-chill-calm-political-poster-1262643060.jpg

So we are allowed to laud Chris Rocks singular experience but we aren't allowed to recognize Barkleys. Got it. Fantastic interview vs. opinion based on nothing. Amazing how these discussions seem to follow the same script.

Lol. Going back to the sports board. It's been real.

hahaha nailed it

So all opinions are equally good and valid? #participationtrophy

White conservatives will latch onto and hold up any black conservative opinion. If you want to get honest, who do you think more accurately represents the opinions and experiences of black Americans regarding this subject? Chris Rock, or Charles Barkley?

Obviously, only LW opinions are representative.

I hate to bust everybody's bubble on this "cops are awesome, heroes, ect., but the job is to protect and serve. It's a hard job with a lot of risk and little reward, but that still doesn't excuse the few cops who kill people. I'm probably not going to make the news for being kick ass at my job, but if I fuck up and kill someone, it's damn sure going to be news. There's nothing unfair about that.

I don't think everyone feels cops are awesome or our heroes. I do think they deserve some respect for the job they are asked to do.

Your analogy is weak. Your job does not have the probability that you may have to kill someone or that someone may try and kill you.

I think every use of lethal force should be investigated that there was not a violation of human rights or that the act itself was not criminal. I think much of the argument that you will face on this subject is the narrative that when a cop is involved in a shooting or death and the victim is black that is it automatically a racial incident.

There are many, many times as many uses of physical force that end up in injury or minor dings than in death.

Also there is depth and style of "use of force" in ticketing and arresting people as well.

Back