• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sooo Alabama Basketball is #12? (Anthony Grant)

No question Grant would have come to Wake when Skip died. Especially with that recruiting class. He was exactly what we needed. We'd probably have finished no worse than 3rd or 4th in the ACC since that time, and maybe had a deep run or two in the tourney. But, we let Dino wreck the ship, much like Guthridge did at UNC. Grant's VCU team beat Duke in the NCAAT one year. THAT was funny. And AG is one helluva leader. Tight ship, demands all out effort and commands respect.

How are his kids' academics? I'm not trying to make a point, I just honestly dont know. Bama and VCU are not Wake academics.

I really don't know. You certainly have more challenges getting kids admitted to Wake than VCU or 'Bama. But he is a very positive role model type of guy. He was friends with some friends of mine who knew him when he was back in Gainesville, and they couldn't say enough nice about him. He was much loved at VCU, but very tough and demanding. He is VERY demanding of his players academically and athletically. Sort of like Skip in that he preached and taught success in all aspects of life. A real teacher type guy. Just demands excellence in all areas, and kids listened to him. I haven't paid much attention since he went to Bama, and my friends moved back to Florida, so I have no idea how things are going off the court down there. I can't recall hearing any negative press, dui's etc, regarding Bama hoops players. Everyone knew he wanted a big HC job, and it was coming sooner rather than later. VCU was a stepping stone to him.

In short, he just had IT. Like with Skip, just a born leader, loved by many, and kids listened to him and he commanded their respect. Dino was a little too buddy, buddy. I called him the rush chairman, and Skip was the boss. AG is the boss, and the boss don't compromise. Sorry to ramble, but AG is a stud, and we could have had him. Still, it would have been a tough decision to make and I don't fault RW for it. It was a horrible situation, but I think it was obvious Dino wasn't ACC head coach material.

How are his kids' academics? I'm not trying to make a point, I just honestly dont know. Bama and VCU are not Wake academics.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he'd have any trouble recruiting a kid to Wake.

He would have had no trouble recruiting at Wake. I just meant at Bama and VCU, you can take kids who help you on the court who might not be admitted at Wake. I think he absolutely attracts hard-working type kids. He would have been a great fit at Wake, and a coach we would have been very proud to have at our University. We just went through a very difficult time, and again, I don't blame Ron for hiring Dino and giving him a chance. But, wow, AG at Wake would have been a helluva hire, and we would be in a much different place than we are now. AG has had to rebuild at Bama. It just takes a while. He's clearly going in the right direction. He's the real deal.

I bet he relates well with his players.

I liked him as a coach for Wake because he's black. At least I admit it.

The VCU supporters, and reporters for that matter, around here loved him. I'm probably going overboard here, but the win over Duke really put his stamp on VCU hoops. That team was way outmanned, and it wasn't like Duke played poorly or wasn't up for the game. It was a great game and VCU went toe-to-toe with them and beat them at the end. Those kids fought and were tougher mentally. That is saying something. He's a no-nonsense guy who gets the absolute best out of young kids. I wish I had some of that for my 10 year old at home.

Not to take anything away from VCU or Grant, but that was not a typically great Duke team. Wasn't even a good Duke team. They went 8-8 and were 7th in the conference (yet were somehow a 6 seed in the NCAAT, hmmmm)

Doesn't change the fact that I would wet myself with glee if Grant came here.

Well, if all you can do with DeMarcus Nelson, Josh McRoberts, Jon Scheyer, Greg Paulus, Gerald Henderson, David McClure, Lance Thomas, Brian Zoubek, Marty Pocius, and Jamal Boykin is go 8-8 and lose in the first round of the ACCT, and in the NCAAT to an 11 seed, then I think you should be fired. There was no improvement during the year, and in fact they got worse. I don't care if most of those guys were freshmen and sophomores. That team had two top rated recruiting classes back to back, loaded with burger boys, and they should been able to do better than 8-8. And they were a top team in the country the year before, so you can't call it a rebuilding year. I mean, that is possibly the worst coaching job of all time. K-out!

(Where's the sarcasm button?) :plos:

I remember in July 2007 when Grant's name was mentioned on the former board. The fact of the matter is that Wellman's hands were tied and Dino was the only choice to ensure that AT&T honored their commitment. I heard that from multiple sources close to the program.

Hindsight is 20-20 and we know now that AT&T was largely a bust for us, but at the time, I'm sure many on his board would have been livid had we not done everything we can to retain those guys. Bust or not, that was probably the best recuiting class on paper we've ever had and will have for quite some time. I can't blame RW for doing what he had to do to keep those guys in the fold, considering that it seemed to be a once in a lifetime infusion of talent for our program.

I remember in July 2007 when Grant's name was mentioned on the former board. The fact of the matter is that Wellman's hands were tied and Dino was the only choice to ensure that AT&T honored their commitment. I heard that from multiple sources close to the program.

Hindsight is 20-20 and we know now that AT&T was largely a bust for us, but at the time, I'm sure many on his board would have been livid had we not done everything we can to retain those guys. Bust or not, that was probably the best recuiting class on paper we've ever had and will have for quite some time. I can't blame RW for doing what he had to do to keep those guys in the fold, considering that it seemed to be a once in a lifetime infusion of talent for our program.

Not to mention the off-the-court consideration of having the coach, who was a mentor and father figure to many of the players, suddenly dying months before the season.

Unless we could keep the staff, hiring from the outside wasn't an option, particularly considering the timing.

Back