• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sooo Alabama Basketball is #12? (Anthony Grant)

I agree that it was an awful decision he had to make, I just can't help but drool thinking about Grant @ Wake. His teams play hard, play with fundamentals, and he recruits well.

Bzz's team is playing hard this year, and he has recruited well. I'm not trying to start an argument, but how long has it taken Grant to build up Alabama to the level they are at now? Maybe we should give Bzz the same amount of time.

Well, this is his 3rd year. Last year they were possibly the last team out/lost in the NIT finals, and this year they're a top25 team with a strong recruiting class.

Grant's history = apparently the key recruiter for Donovan's teams, then he goes and does well at VCU, and now he's gotten people at Bama excited for basketball (first non-conference sellout in 9 years). I think that is a bit different than Bzz's trackrecord, but you're right that I'd prefer this not to devolve into a Bzz pissing match. I'll say if you asked me if I'd trade coaches with Alabama, I'd say yes, and leave it at that.

I like Bzz ok, and agree with your point Fanatic that it takes time to see the true impact. However, it is also easy to see that Grant is a much better guy to build a program around, especially in terms of fan support, than an NBA journeyman whose W-L record in college is mediocre at best.

I don't disagree with yall's points at all. I would rather have Grant than [Redacted]. But, I'll let [Redacted] get his own guys in there before making a final judgement on him.

Anthony-Grant.jpg

Grant in.

Well, this is his 3rd year. Last year they were possibly the last team out/lost in the NIT finals, and this year they're a top25 team with a strong recruiting class.

Grant's history = apparently the key recruiter for Donovan's teams, then he goes and does well at VCU, and now he's gotten people at Bama excited for basketball (first non-conference sellout in 9 years). I think that is a bit different than Bzz's trackrecord, but you're right that I'd prefer this not to devolve into a Bzz pissing match. I'll say if you asked me if I'd trade coaches with Alabama, I'd say yes, and leave it at that.

Grant had a good recruiting class in 2011 (about equal to ours of next year). For 2012, he has signed zero players.

Could we have gotten Grant when Skip died? Maybe, maybe not.

We couldn't have gotten him once he signed with Bama.

Grant had a good recruiting class in 2011 (about equal to ours of next year). For 2012, he has signed zero players.

Could we have gotten Grant when Skip died? Maybe, maybe not.

We couldn't have gotten him once he signed with Bama.

Bama brought in 2 4star recruits and a 3star recruit last year (per scout) and this year brought in 3 4star recruits and a 3star recruit.

They don't have anyone signed for next year because they only are losing Green.

Plus its Alabama, not exactly a hotbed for basketball tradition. Grant has done very well recruiting since he's arrived.

I agree that the conversation is probably entirely irrelevant at this point, I just remember when he was at VCU many here wanted him and I think he would have done well at Wake.

once upon a time wake was a better basketball destination for head coaches than alabama

First sellout in forever in Tuscaloosa, from what they sad on the broadcast. Baby Siff was pissed - she was on her way to the arena when told that it was a sellout. She told my wife that she was the only one who ever wants to go to the bb games, so she couldn't believe no tix were available :D

Plus its Alabama, not exactly a hotbed for basketball tradition. Grant has done very well recruiting since he's arrived.

There's enough talent in Alabama to field a good team and if you're a good coach Atlanta's not far. Every school in the SEC is a sleeping giant when it comes to basketball. Pretty much everyone in the sough grows up playing basketball in the driveway and the schools hve 40,000 people, so if you can win, people will show up for the games and it's loud as hell.

And Alabama has one of the better basketball traditions in the SEC. They're second or third in wins in the conference and have made the Sweet Sixteen seven times (compared to Wake's nine).

I am GrantIn based on nothing but a cursory Google image search. He wears ties that actually look like they belong on a grown man.

once upon a time wake was a better basketball destination for head coaches than alabama

Maybe I'm a blind homer, but I still think that it is. Just because we've made consecutive bad hires doesn't change that.

Once upon a time Wake paid ou bball coaches more than Bama did.

Now Bama is paying close to double what [Redacted] is getting.

Yes, Wake has never paid more than $1.1-1.2mm for a basketball coach. We essentially haven't adjusted the pay scale at all since hiring Skip 10 years ago. It takes money to make a home run hire.

Yes, Wake has never paid more than $1.1-1.2mm for a basketball coach. We essentially haven't adjusted the pay scale at all since hiring Skip 10 years ago. It takes money to make a home run hire.

It doesn't bother me that we are paying bzz in that range. If that is the salary offer we went after our potential home run hires with last year (if we did, in fact, look at other options), I find that troubling.

Would you really pay Dino or Buzz even a cent more?

No question Grant would have come to Wake when Skip died. Especially with that recruiting class. He was exactly what we needed. We'd probably have finished no worse than 3rd or 4th in the ACC since that time, and maybe had a deep run or two in the tourney. But, we let Dino wreck the ship, much like Guthridge did at UNC. Grant's VCU team beat Duke in the NCAAT one year. THAT was funny. And AG is one helluva leader. Tight ship, demands all out effort and commands respect.

It doesn't bother me that we are paying bzz in that range. If that is the salary offer we went after our potential home run hires with last year (if we did, in fact, look at other options), I find that troubling.

Agreed.

Back