• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sousa and Cameron

The OLine was solid in the first half, then started getting crunched in the 2nd against a really aggressive scheme.

Looked like we figured it out on the 2nd to last drive and were marching, then Givens slipped and pulled something on that easy first down and was hurt for the next play and was unfortunately targeted again which caused the kick.

The final drive just looked weird. Abandoned what had just worked (rolling Tanner out and hitting the sidelines or Camp on crosses) and stuck him in the pocket again. After all those sacks he (not surprisingly) panicked and threw one that should have been caught and two terrible throws.

The incredibly obvious pass interference no-call in the end zone, along with the Givens injury, really burned us. Tanner didn't have a great game but I don't think it was the disaster some people are claiming. It did look like the field was giving him problems - that one throw that there was a camera angle right behind him where he threw one basically half way to his target he slipped on, then the next pass he tried to throw flat-footed.

I think he'll put up great numbers for 2 more years. Should be fun to watch.

The Circle of Offensive Line Play at Wake Forest

OL struggles --> "Don't worry. Wait till they get some more experience."
OL struggles --> "I know they're seniors, but wait till these young OL get on the field. They're going to be studs."
OL struggles --> "What did you expect they're only freshmen and sophomores?"

Repeat.

I said earlier this year that if the OL wasn't good this year, with both a ton of experienced upperclassmen and supposedly good younger guys, we could probably bet that it will never be good with the current OL coach.

And...

I said earlier this year that if the OL wasn't good this year, with both a ton of experienced upperclassmen and supposedly good younger guys, we could probably bet that it will never be good with the current OL coach.

And...

...we've been Lobotomized.

That's about right Ph. We have had a couple good OL's in Grobes Tenure though. It's just a matter of recruits panning out while finding a couple Diamonds in the rough.

We've had some recruits pan out. This will probably be the 4th year in the last 5 that we have an O-lineman drafted (Justice, Vallos, DeGeare, and Looney).

Yet the best OLs we've had under Grobe were in the early days with Caldwell's recruits and no draft picks (Clabo was a UFA). We actually had depth back then.

I should count again, but I think before the season, I counted 16 O-lineman who weighed over 300 lbs on our roster.

The OLine was solid in the first half, then started getting crunched in the 2nd against a really aggressive scheme.

Looked like we figured it out on the 2nd to last drive and were marching, then Givens slipped and pulled something on that easy first down and was hurt for the next play and was unfortunately targeted again which caused the kick.

The final drive just looked weird. Abandoned what had just worked (rolling Tanner out and hitting the sidelines or Camp on crosses) and stuck him in the pocket again. After all those sacks he (not surprisingly) panicked and threw one that should have been caught and two terrible throws.

The incredibly obvious pass interference no-call in the end zone, along with the Givens injury, really burned us. Tanner didn't have a great game but I don't think it was the disaster some people are claiming. It did look like the field was giving him problems - that one throw that there was a camera angle right behind him where he threw one basically half way to his target he slipped on, then the next pass he tried to throw flat-footed.

I think he'll put up great numbers for 2 more years. Should be fun to watch.

i thought the camp no-call was actually the right call based on the replay in the stadium. looks like if anything, their feet got tangled up when camp tried to slow down to get the ball which i believe is usually classified as incidental contact.

also disagree on price's game not being a disaster. he was a lot worse than his stats would indicate.

I should count again, but I think before the season, I counted 16 O-lineman who weighed over 300 lbs on our roster.

I really thought coming into the season we'd kind of get back to rotating several O-linemen like we did during Grobe's first couple of years. We seemed to actually wear some teams down back then. Coming into the season I thought we'd see some of the young guys get regular snaps during the games, but we really didn't. Going into next season, it would've been good to get those guys some more game experience.

i thought the camp no-call was actually the right call based on the replay in the stadium. looks like if anything, their feet got tangled up when camp tried to slow down to get the ball which i believe is usually classified as incidental contact.

also disagree on price's game not being a disaster. he was a lot worse than his stats would indicate.

I did as well until I came home and watched the replay of the game.

The replay on TV clearly showed the guy just doing swim arms over Camp, made contact multiple times before the ball was there. The announcers all agreed it was a blown call, and an obvious one at that.

Maybe we just disagree on what a disaster is. He didn't throw a pick, didn't fumble despite being throttled in the 2nd half by an NFL quality line, and our rushing game averaged under 3 yards a carry so they didn't have to bite on play-action. He made the throws for a 70 yard drive on our 2nd to last drive but Givens got hurt, and he turned it over on downs when we needed a 2 minute 80 yard touchdown drive.

Poor game? Sure. Disaster? Meh.

I really thought coming into the season we'd kind of get back to rotating several O-linemen like we did during Grobe's first couple of years. We seemed to actually wear some teams down back then. Coming into the season I thought we'd see some of the young guys get regular snaps during the games, but we really didn't. Going into next season, it would've been good to get those guys some more game experience.

+1

When i saw the replay in the stadium, I commented on the swim arms. You can't do that. Easy call.

Even worse, the defender wasn't even looking back for the ball.

To me that says one of three things:
1. Those young guys aren't all that good.
2. Given Grobe's preference for experienced players, it doesn't matter how good they are.
3. Combination of both.

When i saw the replay in the stadium, I commented on the swim arms. You can't do that. Easy call.

you guys may be right. i just saw the stadium replay and didn't notice anything particularly egregious on what would have been a pretty substantial bailout. is there a youtube of the play somewhere?

you guys may be right. i just saw the stadium replay and didn't notice anything particularly egregious on what would have been a pretty substantial bailout. is there a youtube of the play somewhere?

They are right.

Still boggles my mind that WF doesnt run out of some type of I formation as the base offense. Always have success, the rbs and ol play best in an I system but Tanner struggles apparently so they dont run it. Just seems the improved running game would only improve the passing game. But i digress

Still boggles my mind that WF doesnt run out of some type of I formation as the base offense. Always have success, the rbs and ol play best in an I system but Tanner struggles apparently so they dont run it. Just seems the improved running game would only improve the passing game. But i digress

It seems other than Ga. Tech, Navy, Army and Air Force the overwhelming trend in college is to go shutgun pretty much all the time. I don't think it's a good thing either.

In high school and the NFL, you have to make a play on the ball or it's a PI penalty, but not in college.

My son spoke to a guy who was evaluating the referee crew for a possible move up to the NFL. He thought that there might have been some incidental contact, but it wasn't a bad call. This guy was the head referee in the BC-Miami Doug Flutie game.

In high school and the NFL, you have to make a play on the ball or it's a PI penalty, but not in college.

Agreed. But that doesn't matter in this case.

My son spoke to a guy who was evaluating the referee crew for a possible move up to the NFL. He thought that there might have been some incidental contact, but it wasn't a bad call. This guy was the head referee in the BC-Miami Doug Flutie game.

If flailing your arms and contacting the helmet and facemask of the offensive player who is attempting to catch the ball well before the ball arrives is incidental contact, then we need to reteach our corners this new strategy.

Agreed. But that doesn't matter in this case.

If flailing your arms and contacting the helmet and facemask of the offensive player who is attempting to catch the ball well before the ball arrives is incidental contact, then we need to reteach our corners this new strategy.

How you could call that incidental is beyond me. It was completely intentional.

Back