• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Specific problems with specific welfare programs and how to fix them

And instead of reiterating ideology and using anecdotes about your personal interactions with the poors, pragmatic examples and studies that support your solutions would be really great.

Last edited:
i saw this poor guy on the street one time, sans boots, couldn't get off the ground. so i went to payless, got him some boots and handed 'em over.

that guy? Bill Gates.

now you know the rest of the story

This thread is one big

tumblr_mc7ffkMW4A1rrlbkp.gif

single payer

gun buy back program

tax on robo-trades that is earmarked for skills training, scholarships.

increased taxes on the 1% to fund massive new WPA-style work programs

increased taxes on the 1% to fund massive overhaul of adoption services, free birth control for poverty-stricken women

new GI bill

overhaul student loan program, getting government out perhaps I don't know enough about it

increase funding for current food stamp program and for food banks

downtown revitalization programs (coupled with WPA), green government buildings etc

Last edited:
GTFO of Afghanistan, decreased military spending

intense regulation of financial sector

mandatory nutrition eduction every year grades 1-12

increased federal funding of the arts

I'm just spitballing here...

Love it. The key would be to not lower standards. The problem with public schools is that they pass everyone. Give the free Juco education but if they aren't cutting it them flunk them out. Give them the opportunity to earn it...if they don't the degree won't be worth the cost of the paper it's printed on.

Love it. The key would be to not lower standards. The problem with public schools is that they pass everyone. Give the free Juco education but if they aren't cutting it them flunk them out. Give them the opportunity to earn it...if they don't the degree won't be worth the cost of the paper it's printed on.

Agree with this. End social promotion in K-12. If you don't learn a reasonable percentage of the material in a core area you don't move on. Ideally this is a course by course decision. If we fix this everything else gets easier to solve.

Agree with this. End social promotion in K-12. If you don't learn a reasonable percentage of the material in a core area you don't move on. Ideally this is a course by course decision. If we fix this everything else gets easier to solve.

You've got to add lots of personnel to help struggling students. Otherwise, you'll end up with an 18 year old in third grade.

You've got to add lots of personnel to help struggling students. Otherwise, you'll end up with an 18 year old in third grade.

Yep. Older kids in lower grades doesn't help anybody especially not the kid.

Nobody wants 7th and 8th graders who drive to school.

Yep. Older kids in lower grades doesn't help anybody especially not the kid.

Nobody wants 7th and 8th graders who drive to school.

Promoting a child who isn't ready just passes the problem on to the teacher at the next grade level, who then has less time to spend on the more qualified kids.

It's a shitty problem.

Promoting a child who isn't ready just passes the problem on to the teacher at the next grade level, who then has less time to spend on the more qualified kids.

It's a shitty problem.

Once a kid is held back two school years they should be taken out of public school and placed in a remedial/vocational skills program.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Back