• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

I'm guessing after the blu-ray release, the first Kylo Ren tantrum will become the next Hitler meme.

Upon a second viewing, a few things were more clear. Rey definitely flirts with the dark side in subtle ways. The Rey-Finn interaction is really fantastic. I really appreciate the skilled acting it takes for an attractive man and woman to pull off a friendly, mutual appreciation for each other without it being romantic or flirtatious or creepy. Each has never had anybody to care about them and they show each other how much they care in a nice honest way that still leaves room for a love story or not a love story.

I know some people took issue with the fact Leia hugged Rey even though they had never met. I get it now. First, Chewy walked right by Leia. He was still giving no fucks. After Han died, Chewy shot Kylo Ren, shot some storm troopers, and set off the explosives without alerting Rey and Finn. He was pissed. Props to JJ and crew for communicating that without giving him a "Nooooooo!!!!!" scene. He was too distraught for a hug. Sometimes you just don't want the hug. Chewy didn't want a hug.

On the other hand, Rey just went through this incredible ordeal. She left her home planet and any hope of being reunited with her family (at least she thinks), made a new friend who almost died trying to protect her while she was knocked out, met a father figure she instantly bonded with who got killed by his son, and landed on some Resistance base full of people whose lives she help save but she never met. Rey stood there alone and really needed a hug.

Leia seeing Rey off before she goes to find Luke definitely feels like it was the end of a longer conversation. I'm really hoping for a director's cut.

I still don't know what to make of the Rey's vision when touched the lightsaber particularly being left on Jakku in the hands of Unkar Plutt. He wasn't her caretaker. Most likely she smuggled away from someone and sold to him. I don't think it's as simple as she's Luke's daughter who was exiled there to save her. I'm moving away from the theory that she had been training under Luke.

Finn's heroism was more apparent which makes his desire to run at Maz' seem somewhat out of character. That scene was more for dramatic tension than being true to the character. That's the only time he doesn't leap into action to do the right thing. Throughout the movie he straddles the line between being foolish and brave and taking on much more than he should be able to handle.

Another viewing confirmed to me that Rey is basically a younger version of Marvel's Peggy Carter (Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Carter) except without the subtle sexiness while dealing with overt sexism. If you like Rey, you should definitely tune into Agent Carter Season 2.

Last edited:
you're overanalyzing this stuff, its a fun movie; not paradise lost.

And I re-watched the first three. RoTJ Leia >> Rey. You were correct, as always.

Last edited:
There's too much Marvel out there. I know they're owned by the same company but not everything needs to be compared between Marvel and other things, much less Star Wars.

maybe, but more time was spent on this script than maybe any in history. nothing happened by accident

CYIExp2WEAAozj8.jpg

I'm guessing after the blu-ray release, the first Kylo Ren tantrum will become the next Hitler meme.

Upon a second viewing, a few things were more clear. Rey definitely flirts with the dark side in subtle ways. The Rey-Finn interaction is really fantastic. I really appreciate the skilled acting it takes for an attractive man and woman to pull off a friendly, mutual appreciation for each other without it being romantic or flirtatious or creepy. Each has never had anybody to care about them and they show each other how much they care in a nice honest way that still leaves room for a love story or not a love story.

I know some people took issue with the fact Leia hugged Rey even though they had never met. I get it now. First, Chewy walked right by Leia. He was still giving no fucks. After Han died, Chewy shot Kylo Ren, shot some storm troopers, and set off the explosives without alerting Rey and Finn. He was pissed. Props to JJ and crew for communicating that without giving him a "Nooooooo!!!!!" scene. He was too distraught for a hug. Sometimes you just don't want the hug. Chewy didn't want a hug.

On the other hand, Rey just went through this incredible ordeal. She left her home planet and any hope of being reunited with her family (at least she thinks), made a new friend who almost died trying to protect her while she was knocked out, met a father figure she instantly bonded with who got killed by his son, and landed on some Resistance base full of people whose lives she help save but she never met. Rey stood there alone and really needed a hug.

Leia seeing Rey off before she goes to find Luke definitely feels like it was the end of a longer conversation. I'm really hoping for a director's cut.

I still don't know what to make of the Rey's vision when touched the lightsaber particularly being left on Jakku in the hands of Unkar Plutt. He wasn't her caretaker. Most likely she smuggled away from someone and sold to him. I don't think it's as simple as she's Luke's daughter who was exiled there to save her. I'm moving away from the theory that she had been training under Luke.

Finn's heroism was more apparent which makes his desire to run at Maz' seem somewhat out of character. That scene was more for dramatic tension than being true to the character. That's the only time he doesn't leap into action to do the right thing. Throughout the movie he straddles the line between being foolish and brave and taking on much more than he should be able to handle.

Another viewing confirmed to me that Rey is basically a younger version of Marvel's Peggy Carter (Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Carter) except without the subtle sexiness while dealing with overt sexism. If you like Rey, you should definitely tune into Agent Carter Season 2.

It seems wholly out of character for Chewie to not hug Leia there. He's based off of a dog. He acts like a dog through most of the original trilogy. Just think about when 3P0 gets busted up in Empire or when Han gets out of carbonite in Return.

Finn was always running. It's not out of character. He's scared and trying to run from the first time we meet him. The only thing that seems to pull him away from running is an affection for Rey. That scene is pretty consistent with that.

one of the main themes of the movie is to stop running. everyone is running away -- Luke, Finn, kylo, Han, leia, even r2. and they all meet Rey who is introduced as the polar opposite (turning down a job on the falcon to return to Jakku, etc.) but even she runs away when she has the force hallucination.

and the turning point of the movie is when everyone stops and faces what they are running away from.

There's too much Marvel out there. I know they're owned by the same company but not everything needs to be compared between Marvel and other things, much less Star Wars.

The characters are similar. That's all. If you like one. You'd like the other.

Hilarious that now we've reached the point of overanalysis.

one of the main themes of the movie is to stop running. everyone is running away -- Luke, Finn, kylo, Han, leia, even r2. and they all meet Rey who is introduced as the polar opposite (turning down a job on the falcon to return to Jakku, etc.) but even she runs away when she has the force hallucination.

and the turning point of the movie is when everyone stops and faces what they are running away from.

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that but makes sense

I'm going to be pissed if the Han Solo movie doesn't include something about Lando, Han, and Chewy tricking out the Falcon. There's so much potential for an awesome space bros movie.

The kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.

The criticisms about the movie being too derivative esp. of A New Hope have some validity. I mean, they didn't have to use a desert planet, the Big Bad certainly did not need to be a Death Star, etc. But I don't understand anyone who doesn't think the cast (minus Carrie Fisher, perhaps) did a great job. Daisy Ridley was excellent and the dude who played Finn was good too. Adam Driver did a fine job. Maybe it helps that I have never watched that Lena Dunham show so this is basically the first time I've ever seen Adam Driver. Thus I have no pre-conceived impression of him as a hipster emo millennial. I mean the dude was a Marine.

Well, even if you didn't have a pre-conception of him as an emo millennial, the kylo ren character he played was written as an emo millenial.

Well, even if you didn't have a pre-conception of him as an emo millennial, the kylo ren character he played was written as an emo millenial.

Ooooo snap the marine just got taken down a peg by no less than a tax accountant from Greensboro posting on a Star Wars thread. Feel the burn, emo kid.

Ooooo snap the marine just got taken down a peg by no less than a tax accountant from Greensboro posting on a Star Wars thread. Feel the burn, emo kid.

LOL. I have written many posts that I figured would generate a snarky reply. That certainly wasn't one of them.

Back