• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Checking in late as usual. Finally got around to seeing it today. I thought it was....

AWESOME

Luke's hideout is actually an island in Ireland, Skellig Michael.

There was a Christian Monestary there that was continually occupied from around the 6th to 12th century. There is a monk cemetery there.

http://www.slate.com/articles/video..._location_is_a_real_island_off_the_coast.html

monastery.jpg

skellig-michael-ireland_74846_600x450.jpg

skellig+michael+2.jpg

This is really good. I haven't seen discussion of Kylo Ren from Chewy's perspective.

Adam Driver hosting SNL tonight. Just showed a pretty good Kylo Ren / Undercover Boss sketch.

ok, way late to the party - finally saw it yesterday, finally read through the first ~15 pages of this thread... agree with most general opinions of the movie. I thought it was really well done, especially in comparison to the prequels, and I think there was enough new interaction and storyline that it was a fine stand-alone movie for someone who's never seen any of the other movies (which I know, because J came w/ me and he's never seen any of them.... shocking, but beside the point).
I liked how they reintroduced the Millennium Falcon - "it's a piece of garbage! ...garbage will do!" - which definitely makes you think of Leia, but then there are too many parallels between Luke and Rey for me to think that Rey is another kid of Han/Leia. There was not nearly enough recognition between Leia and Rey for that to be a maternal bond, and I think Leia's role typically has a softer side for those types of relationships. I think Han did the double-take/asked her name because he does know who she is/who her parents are, but I don't think he's her dad. I think she's either Luke's kid or somehow a descendant of Obi Wan. Leaning towards Luke, though, just based on all of the parallels/use of his theme in her scenes.
Great chemistry between Finn and Poe, and Finn and Rey. As others have said, I look forward to seeing them act together going forward.
Random - I really appreciated when Han blasted the doors open by just shooting the control panel; pretty much exactly what he did in RoTJ, and they panned to his face, which was kind of a "yep, still works!" expression. Made me smile.

Also, Kylo Ren is totally Ben (after Ben Kenobi) - anyone who even questions that, just don't think so hard.

...i think that's it.

ok, way late to the party - finally saw it yesterday, finally read through the first ~15 pages of this thread... agree with most general opinions of the movie. I thought it was really well done, especially in comparison to the prequels, and I think there was enough new interaction and storyline that it was a fine stand-alone movie for someone who's never seen any of the other movies (which I know, because J came w/ me and he's never seen any of them.... shocking, but beside the point).
I liked how they reintroduced the Millennium Falcon - "it's a piece of garbage! ...garbage will do!" - which definitely makes you think of Leia, but then there are too many parallels between Luke and Rey for me to think that Rey is another kid of Han/Leia. There was not nearly enough recognition between Leia and Rey for that to be a maternal bond, and I think Leia's role typically has a softer side for those types of relationships. I think Han did the double-take/asked her name because he does know who she is/who her parents are, but I don't think he's her dad. I think she's either Luke's kid or somehow a descendant of Obi Wan. Leaning towards Luke, though, just based on all of the parallels/use of his theme in her scenes.
Great chemistry between Finn and Poe, and Finn and Rey. As others have said, I look forward to seeing them act together going forward.
Random - I really appreciated when Han blasted the doors open by just shooting the control panel; pretty much exactly what he did in RoTJ, and they panned to his face, which was kind of a "yep, still works!" expression. Made me smile.

Also, Kylo Ren is totally Ben (after Ben Kenobi) - anyone who even questions that, just don't think so hard.

...i think that's it.

I haven't seen anyone question that Kylo Ren was/is Ben Solo and that he is Han and Leia's son.

she wasn't saying it about him being a solo but about him being named after kenobi

Somebody posted that he was named after Obi Wan as if he was the first person to make the connection. She was probably referencing that.

Somebody posted that he was named after Obi Wan as if he was the first person to make the connection. She was probably referencing that.

There was some uncertainty about it immediately after the movie came out. There have since been a million articles which have more or less confirmed that suspicion.

Is Kylo not his real first name? I know Ren is more of a title, and it sounded like Han shouted "Ben!" at him when he was on the catwalk.

Definitely called him Ben. My friend called that too while we were live in the movies. "I bet he's named after Ben Kenobi"

There was no uncertainty.

Sure. I mean there was no uncertainty for anybody but Kickball. Who else would Ben Solo be named for?

Sure. I mean there was no uncertainty for anybody but Kickball. Who else would Ben Solo be named for?

I don't think that is what was unclear.

As for me, I was in the bathroom during the conversation at the cantina that revealed Kylo Ren as a Solo, and a bunch of noobs in my theater responded noisily when Han yelled his name. I definitely wasn't certain what I heard on first viewing.

In retrospect, however, it does seem quite clear.

Are you saying you left for the bathroom in the middle of your first viewing of Star Wars?

Back