• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Those wanting it shorter -- wait until the director's cut comes out. Rian Johnson's original edited version was over 3 hours. I didn't mind the length at all - I'm not going into a Star Wars movie asking for less.

It added almost nothing to the film that could not have been accomplished much more efficiently.

Seriously, now "efficiency" is making its way into movie reviews? Cancel script writing, use KenPom. Just read a plot summary if you don't want to be there.

Those wanting it shorter -- wait until the director's cut comes out. Rian Johnson's original edited version was over 3 hours. I didn't mind the length at all - I'm not going into a Star Wars movie asking for less.

This. Clearly DF07 had to pee at the 2 hour mark.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks keeping all the action on ships keeps the movie claustrophobic. If it was up to some of you, the only land in the movie would have been Luke's island.

this is an important question

I think there are two answers. The most basic is the same reason Jedi don't shoot electricity out of their fingers. They just have different powers.

The second is we've mostly see Sith die by Sith hand. Do you think Vader wants Dooku showing up giving him advice? Do you think Kylo wants Snoke to just pop up?

Also, we have seen a Sith as a force ghost at the end of Return. He simply had previously been a Jedi.

Last edited:
If the Force is really about balance, shouldn't the afterlife be as well?

Ph, why stop at 2.5 hours? Why not make it 3?

If the Force is really about balance, shouldn't the afterlife be as well?

Ph, why stop at 2.5 hours? Why not make it 3?

Because for some reason, people bitch about getting 3 hours of film that they've longed for their whole lives for the same price as a ticket to see an 85 minute kids movie.

I would almost always prefer a 13 episode season of a show to a 22 episode arc. There's nothing wrong with trying to distill storytelling. It's lazy not to. The Hoth scenes made for more exciting trailers than additions to the movie, but maybe that's just me. It didn't feel very cohesive is all I'm saying. The climax of this film occurred 30 minutes before it ended. That seems to be not ideal.

Because for some reason, people bitch about getting 3 hours of film that they've longed for their whole lives for the same price as a ticket to see an 85 minute kids movie.

Would you have been happy with a 5 hour movie? People longed for it their entire lives. What about 12 hours?

Sure. I'd just need to buy more snacks.

His death wasn’t really mentioned, actually a whole ton of deaths are always casually glanced over in the Star Wars universe. There’s a deep point to it since by not mentioning them it’s relevant to making them irrelevant.
It did bother me slightly that the movie's primary strategy for building suspense was to slowly destroy each ship in the rebel fleet. No one on those ships was ever humanized, and perhaps for that reason I never felt the incredible sense of hopelessness that builds so brilliantly during the battle of Yavin (where you really think that the rebels have no shot -- a hopelessness that ESB continues to promote). It was as if the resistance will be totally fine as long as, like, Leia survives, despite the message about the importance of lives. We needed Mon Mothma telling us about all the poor Bothan lives sacrificed for their escape.

A big difference between the resistance and the alliance is in the name. The alliance was always command by committee -- we never questioned the leadership strategy because ours heroes were lowly farm boys and smugglers. This felt very Star Treky to me.

The most basic is the same reason Jedi don't shoot electricity out of their fingers. They just have different powers.

:nerd: The ability to use Force Lightning is not unique to the Sith but is used more by Sith than Jedi. In the books, some Jedi are capable of using something like Force Lightning. :nerd:

I just like imagining that Kylo and Rey are Jacen and Jaina. It works.

The real question that hasn't been answered yet: where the fuck is Lando?

Back