• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sports in general

The one cool thing about being a Wake fan is that when you win the ACC title in hoops in 95 and 96, and in football in 06, it is appreciated on a level that few other fanbases can experience. The crap you have to put up with during the long periods in between success make the question of whether it's worth it a very valid on though.

The one maddeningly frustrating thing about being a Wake fan is that when you win the ACC title in hoops in 95 and 96, and in football in 06, it is appreciated on a level that few other fanbases can experience. The crap you have to put up with during the long periods in between success make the question of whether it's worth it a very valid on though.

Fixed. I'd like to turn 40 with some idea that I'm going to see Wake Forest win a conference championship in football or basketball before I die.

Fixed. I'd like to turn 40 with some idea that I'm going to see Wake Forest win a conference championship in football or basketball before I die.

Statistically that gives you about 40 years. I don't like your chances.

The one cool thing about being a Wake fan is that when you win the ACC title in hoops in 95 and 96, and in football in 06, it is appreciated on a level that few other fanbases can experience. The crap you have to put up with during the long periods in between success make the question of whether it's worth it a very valid on though.

The 06 ACC title is pretty much the Wake football equivalent of a national championship. Would like to think that same is not true for Wake basketball, but c'est la vie.

Deacs
Cubs
Panthers
Hornets

Rough teams. The future is bright for the Cubs and Panthers though. I expect a title in the next 5 years from one of them.

Nice fix Ph, it is maddeningly frustrating. At 45, I hope I get to see another as well.

The 06 ACC title is pretty much the Wake football equivalent of a national championship. Would like to think that same is not true for Wake basketball, but c'est la vie.

I completely agree with that statement, have stated that same thing multiple times. I also agree about basketball, I've always though an NCAA title was possible with our program when you consider some of the teams we've had and some of the players we've had. However, the last 6 years have caused me to really question that.

I completely agree with that statement, have stated that same thing multiple times. I also agree about basketball, I've always though an NCAA title was possible with our program when you consider some of the teams we've had and some of the players we've had. However, the last 6 years have caused me to really question that.

If you can win an ACC Championship in hoops, you can win a national championship.

Even outside personal fandom, it's been a bad few years in terms of unlikable teams winning championships - Duke in basketball, Alabama/OSU in football, the Patriots in the NFL.

That said, unless you're a Panthers fan, Manning winning the SB was a nice way to wrap up this NFL season. And unless you're a Mets fan, the Royals' World Series win was a nice way for the MLB season to end. Even the Warriors beating Lebron last summer was something nice to watch.

Yeah. After the Warriors sweep the Spurs in the WCF, I'll just sit back and watch greatness happen like I assume non-Bulls fans did in the 90s.

It's a desert right now. After a series of awful years for WF sports, felt like this would be a turn the corner year when WF basketball actually might be "historically competitive" and WF football would take a more affirmative step in the right direction in 2015. Here we are in February, and with just a few weeks left in the basketball season, WF football and basketball has two conference wins for the school year in football and basketball. Two. That should be a good week for the basketball program. Add in the WF soccer loss at home as the overall #1 seed in the NCAAs, the Nats yearly collapse as well as other disappointments, and it really sucks.

Really testing the theory as to whether or not Sports can be enjoyable when your team blows. I will hang and suffer through the next 4 weeks of WF basketball. This thought just haunts me: have been waiting for the ACC Tourney to return to DC for years (the last time the ACC tourney was played in DC was 2005; as you may recall, WF finished that year 2nd in the ACC, and I was primed for a tourney run like the mid 1990s; then, WF ended the regular season with the nut punch win over State; CP3 was suspended for the 1st game of the ACC tourney, and #7 seed NC State, and Julius Hodge, upset WF in the ACC quarters, barf). Now, the Deacs return to DC, and I will watch WF's season end on Tuesday (so embarrassing) against someone like VT or Cuse. Nauseating. Maybe WF will make a run when WF returns to DC in 2027. Probably not.

Last edited:
I saw this on the twitter. Wake has been remarkable in their ineptitude.
Total road record the past 3 seasons in ACC play? 1-23 in basketball, 1-11 in football. That's 2-34 (5.5% winning record).

Since Dino Gaudio was fired, Wake Forest Basketball has gone 2-43 in ACC road games.

Grambling has won 3 conference road games since 2011 and only won 16 games total. It's almost statistically impossible to be as bad as Wake.

For ACC comp purposes, Boston College (no doubt the second worst since '11) has 8 ACC road wins in that time. 6 more than Wake Forest.

This week Wake travels to Atlanta to take on GT, and Raleigh to take on N.C. State. 0 for our last 18 in those two cities. 2005 is last win.

Tons of cool sports stuff between now and football - NBA Playoffs, Stanley Cup season, all four golf majors along with some other great tournaments (Pebble Beach this week), and MLB.

Olympics!

How did I forget that? And this will be the first Summer Olympics since Atlanta that will be held in a nearby time zone. No watching recorded events already knowing the results.

latest

How did I forget that? And this will be the first Summer Olympics since Atlanta that will be held in a nearby time zone. No watching recorded events already knowing the results.

You overestimate NBC. Atlanta had plenty of tape delay events.

When you say you are a Wake fan .... no one accuses you of being just a BANDWAGON fan.

Back