• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

So reports are that Kawhi is medically cleared but sitting out the rest of the season. Pop came out today and basically said Kawhi was going to be out all season.

I think he is in some pain. Maybe he has a low tolerance for pain. When he twisted his ankle against the Warriors last year, he looked like he had been shot.

I also think this is a shot across the bow. They are basically telling Kawhi, you can't wait until there are 5 or 10 games left in the season, dude. It is now(ish) or wait until next year.

It will be interesting to follow what Kawhi's next move is. My guess is he is going to"gut" it out the rest of the year. In other words, I fully expect him to be ready to go by about Monday next week. I

t did look like he was laboring and/or cautious the 9 games we saw him play this year. It is not nothing what he is going through, so I don't expect he will return to the Kawhi of last year. The first 50 games of the year last year, he was he best player in basketball, period.

Kawhi leaving SA for LA is one of the very few contracts for a player of that age who will be leaving a ton on the table. A supeermax contract isn't just about the extra year (which a healthy Kawhi will get anyway). It's about a higher vig for staying put. They cherry on top is Kawhi will losing about 8-10% of his salary on top of that for CA vs. TX personal income taxes.

The reason it isn't the full 13% is that player pay taxes in the cities they play at on the road as well.

Leaving the Spurs for LA could legitimately cost Kawhi $25-35M (even assuming he get the fifth year).

Kawhi leaving SA for LA is one of the very few contracts for a player of that age who will be leaving a ton on the table. A supeermax contract isn't just about the extra year (which a healthy Kawhi will get anyway). It's about a higher vig for staying put. They cherry on top is Kawhi will losing about 8-10% of his salary on top of that for CA vs. TX personal income taxes.

The reason it isn't the full 13% is that player pay taxes in the cities they play at on the road as well.

Leaving the Spurs for LA could legitimately cost Kawhi $25-35M (even assuming he get the fifth year).

So, what you're saying is Dal or MIA?

The report I saw was that kawhi was cleared by spurs docs. Wanted second opinions and was given the same info.

Could be an interesting off season. If kawhi goes I would think pop is done (retires).

Is this just a situation where he's too scared to come back or is he really wanting out of SA? This whole situation is very strange - very Andrew Luck-esque

No idea. I just hope Pop and the front office can work their magic. This team plus Kawhi could be really good.

I think he is in some pain. Maybe he has a low tolerance for pain. When he twisted his ankle against the Warriors last year, he looked like he had been shot.

I also think this is a shot across the bow. They are basically telling Kawhi, you can't wait until there are 5 or 10 games left in the season, dude. It is now(ish) or wait until next year.

It will be interesting to follow what Kawhi's next move is. My guess is he is going to"gut" it out the rest of the year. In other words, I fully expect him to be ready to go by about Monday next week. I

t did look like he was laboring and/or cautious the 9 games we saw him play this year. It is not nothing what he is going through, so I don't expect he will return to the Kawhi of last year. The first 50 games of the year last year, he was he best player in basketball, period.

#spursdonks setting up the soft label. love it.

jaybone is not a #spursdonk. I reject that.

So phan shows up and the spurs thread is no longer a #safespace for me? Damnnamit.

Seriously though, as a wake fan, I'm expecting to lose kawhi.

The soft label from but hurt uber dummies (not us regular donks) is simply not understanding what is happening. Apparently he was cleared by spurs docs and the second opinion (s?) docs and the ball is in his court #nopunintended

So, what I said a week ago!

Will be an interesting off season. If kawhi does not get and sign the super max this summer he will likely need to earn it next season (conditions 2 of 3 years). He certainly could demand a sign and trade but the spurs could try hard ball as well. Or dinner with pop apparently.

I really have no idea what will happen.

The Spurs will try and sign Kawhi to the super max as soon as possible.

Of course they will try. Just curious how it plays out after the recent rumors. If they go on a run and finish strong' incl play offs, makes less likely to request sign and trade if the recent rumors have an truth.

Leonard back in SA, supposedly will play in the March.

So kawhi drops his manager in favor of his uncle. Reports of problems with front office follow. Now reports his Nike deal negotiation has stalled. He's certainly underpaid but I assume they are arguing He's not as marketable as the other top guys.

Back