• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Trek into Darkness (spoiler thread)

Go

Deacsbravesdawgsetc
Reaction score
GO SEE IMMEDIATELY

You will be spoiled if you don't.

Loved it. Very cool summer flick. The third better be all about the Klingon wars, those dudes are NASTY.

Or you could just watch Star Trek II again. At least I know what Star Wars VII will be like. Leia will be frozen in carbonite while Han watches and Obi Wan appear to Luke and tell him "I'm really your father." :cool:

Last edited:
You could watch ST2 again, but then you would miss this one which absolutely stands on its own and is far more than a couple of iconic juxtapositions. Do you realize that the Star Wars movies are a continuance of the established storyline and not an alternate universe like in Star Trek? So what you "know" is not actually going to happen.

I'm with Go, it's a fun summer movie that never lets the foot off the pedal. I have to say it seems like a JJ Abrams movie that uses Star Trek more than a Star Trek movie that happened to have JJ direct it. That's fine with me, I think the franchise needed a major shift in this reboot to stay viable, but I'm sure the orthodox Trekkers will object, but they already did after the first one anyway.

One last thing for now - enough with the lens flares. Just... enough.

I just don't understand why if you're going to use the alternate universe to free yourself from the restraints of Star Trek canon, that you wouldn't harness that to explore entirely new possibilities, and instead retread over the same story lines and themes from the original movies. And if you're going to do that, why would you shove it in the viewers face with blatant references like the Khan scream and radioactive warp core? I went hoping to see Star Trek taken in an innovative new direction, and instead I felt like I had seen some very well financed fan fiction about how the Wrath of Khan could have happened.

That being said, it's a good movie, and definitely worth seeing, at the very least for the visual effects. I must say I was also disappointed that they decided to make Peter Weller's character a true antagonist, and didn't instead make him a morally gray character, letting the viewer decide for themselves the merits of armament against an external threat. It also would have made the plot much more intriguing.

I was surprised he was Khan. I felt like that would have been spoiled. Nice job by everyone to keep it under wraps. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

Completely agree. It was loud, fast, and sort of fun, but it was by no means special in any way. I'd probably tell people to skip it if they asked me.

Feel the exact same way. I'll type out real thoughts when I get to my desk on Monday.

I enjoyed it a lot, thought it was better than Iron Man 3. Some of the writing was a little clumsy and ham fisted at the end with the whole 'do you know why I came back for you?' exchange. As for them recycling the Khan storyline, I thought it was great. Khan is an integral part of Sara Trek canon and they just reintroduced him for a younger fan base. The original Star Trek movies don't have the same aura or timelessness that the Star Wars films did, and their chronology certainly isnt as important, so IMO JJ Abrams doesn't need to worry about reworking a 31 year old storyline.

I just don't understand why if you're going to use the alternate universe to free yourself from the restraints of Star Trek canon, that you wouldn't harness that to explore entirely new possibilities, and instead retread over the same story lines and themes from the original movies. And if you're going to do that, why would you shove it in the viewers face with blatant references like the Khan scream and radioactive warp core? I went hoping to see Star Trek taken in an innovative new direction, and instead I felt like I had seen some very well financed fan fiction about how the Wrath of Khan could have happened.

That being said, it's a good movie, and definitely worth seeing, at the very least for the visual effects. I must say I was also disappointed that they decided to make Peter Weller's character a true antagonist, and didn't instead make him a morally gray character, letting the viewer decide for themselves the merits of armament against an external threat. It also would have made the plot much more intriguing.

But there is a larger philosophical discussion about destiny that was introduced in 2009. I think this film did a good job of continuing that discussion.

I enjoyed it. Cumberbatch was great. That scene on the bridge after he gets stunned was some powerful stuff, just savageness. I thought all the actors really held their own. I expect to see Kahn again. Probably in the next film.

But there is a larger philosophical discussion about destiny that was introduced in 2009. I think this film did a good job of continuing that discussion.

I was unsure about the alternate universe trick after the first movie, but I think it gives Abrams and Co. the most freedom to do the best stories. There is a lot of Trek canon already out there, and despite being another universe from what we're used to, some things are so significant that they are bound to happen in one way or another. In the first movie, such a thing was Kirk getting the captain's chair of the Enterprise. In this movie, it's the Enterprise crew's struggle against Khan. It can look and feel different but still appeal to things we all want to see as fans, whether we'll admit it or not.

If you liked the first AbramsTrek, you will probably like this one. I saw it yesterday, and I think it will take a few more viewings to sink in. The first movie, like any origin story, is probably easier to like at first glance than this one.

I wish they'd taken time in the second one to develop both villans better. One thing that pleasantly surprised me - Klingons are badass once again. Worf made them almost cuddly, but these guys looked menacing.

Early in the movie, Bones twice made comments about Kirk's health. Once when he was boarding a shuttle - something to the effect of "You showed up late to your medical exam." "I'm fine." "I don't think you are." And the second time on the bridge - "Jim, your vitals are way off!"

Was there any payoff to this?

Early in the movie, Bones twice made comments about Kirk's health. Once when he was boarding a shuttle - something to the effect of "You showed up late to your medical exam." "I'm fine." "I don't think you are." And the second time on the bridge - "Jim, your vitals are way off!"

I thought it was a way to show that Kirk was stressed out and on edge.

I have a feeling there may be something more to it than Kirk just being stressed. This was given enough screen time to not just be a throw-away. Of course this could depend on who the next creative team is. If Abrams is Exec Producer, I'd bet it gets revisited. If he's not then it may drift away.

A couple of things I noticed. I'm sure there's a compilation somewhere of a lot more items, but here's my little list.

They talked, in passing, about a "Mudd incident"
The moon orbiting Kronos had exploded in half (from Star Trek 6).

One of my annoyances about Khan, and this has nothing to do with Cumberbatch's performance, is that no one named "Khan Singh" is a pasty white guy. At least Montalban was from a non-white ethnicity. Still certainly not a Sikh, but "brownish" is good enough to most Americans for any non-white ethnicity.

It's certainly well set up for Khan to not only return, but to have his 72 member army of genetically engineered followers ready to go. My preference is that the plot is Klingon-centric.

They need to find a director who LOVES Star Trek and let him/her run wild w/ the Klingons. JJ has set them up nicely.

I have a feeling there may be something more to it than Kirk just being stressed. This was given enough screen time to not just be a throw-away. Of course this could depend on who the next creative team is. If Abrams is Exec Producer, I'd bet it gets revisited. If he's not then it may drift away.

A couple of things I noticed. I'm sure there's a compilation somewhere of a lot more items, but here's my little list.

They talked, in passing, about a "Mudd incident"
The moon orbiting Kronos had exploded in half (from Star Trek 6).

One of my annoyances about Khan, and this has nothing to do with Cumberbatch's performance, is that no one named "Khan Singh" is a pasty white guy. At least Montalban was from a non-white ethnicity. Still certainly not a Sikh, but "brownish" is good enough to most Americans for any non-white ethnicity.

It's certainly well set up for Khan to not only return, but to have his 72 member army of genetically engineered followers ready to go. My preference is that the plot is Klingon-centric.

How far into the future is this set (I honestly have no idea)? Is it possible that ethnicity is more mingled by then.

Keep in mind Khan is from pretty much the present time. In TOS, he was in the Eugenics war which took place in the 1990s. In the JJverse, I don't know exactly when he got frozen, but it would be pretty close to now.

Back