• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Trek into Darkness (spoiler thread)

If you're not planning to watch them all (episodes of ST:TOS that is) then here are 3 I suggest for you Say Hey:

Mirror Mirror (The origin of the "my evil doppelganger has a goatee trope [sort of ironic because Spock was the only goateed person and he wasn't evil])
Balance of Terror (my #1 favorite)
Arena (Kirk vs Gorn!)

Saw it last night and thought it was on par with the first (which I thought was really good), and far better than Iron Man 3. The entire Iron Man series has had a terrible time with villain character arch's imo, where as this Star Trek did it right with Cumber-Kahn.

The young Khan villain was a nice surprise- also pretty cool that Kirk has Khan's blood coursing through his veins!

They need to find a director who LOVES Star Trek and let him/her run wild w/ the Klingons. JJ has set them up nicely.

Agreed; I enjoyed the movie not as much as the first one in 2010, but more that IM3. Would love to see the next one Klingon centric.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it. 3D wasn't worth it, but the IMAX screen was. Had some weak stretches, but a fun watch overall. Glad I hadn't had the Khan twist spoiled at first.

BDZ - I mean did you not have an idea it was going to be Khan when he was railing all those Klingon's and then Kirk couldn't knock him out.

Pretty lame movie I thought. Good setup for a Klingon focused movie next though.

Rewatched The Wrath of Khan last night via Netflix. That movie still holds up and is entertaining, but goddamn if Khan isn't super cheesy in that movie. "Ah Kirk, my old friend, have you ever heard the Klingon proverb that tells us 'revenge is a dish best served cold'? It is very cold....IN SPACE."

Rewatched The Wrath of Khan last night via Netflix. That movie still holds up and is entertaining, but goddamn if Khan isn't super cheesy in that movie. "Ah Kirk, my old friend, have you ever heard the Klingon proverb that tells us 'revenge is a dish best served cold'? It is very cold....IN SPACE."

LOL - my fave Star Trek movie to date

I thought the opposite. I liked Abrams having the jokes in it. They also set up the next movie (and the re-release of the Wrath of Khan) and context for the shows well.

I may not be in love with Chris Pine as Kirk, but Simon Pegg is great as Scotty and Bones should have been used more.

all in all, I thought it was very good.

Pretty entertaining... but a little odd that there was so much hand-wringing about the fact that Kirk's crew might die, or Khan's crew might die... then the filmmakers slaughter several thousand innocent people in downtown San Francisco right at the end. Tough luck for those guys! But look, Spock punched the guy a few times and we put him back into cryogenic stasis, so justice has been served. Roll credits! :wtf:

Plus, the guy was a war criminal and a terrorist. He had blown up the Starfleet archives and shot up a whole room of Starfleet bigwigs. I have a hard time believing Kirk (or even Spock) would have any moral problem chucking a few photon torpedoes at him then high-tailing it back home.

Plus, the guy was a war criminal and a terrorist. He had blown up the Starfleet archives and shot up a whole room of Starfleet bigwigs. I have a hard time believing Kirk (or even Spock) would have any moral problem chucking a few photon torpedoes at him then high-tailing it back home.

Have you never watched Star Trek?

BDZ - I mean did you not have an idea it was going to be Khan when he was railing all those Klingon's and then Kirk couldn't knock him out.

Pretty lame movie I thought. Good setup for a Klingon focused movie next though.

I figured it out when they revealed that chick to be Carol Marcus and then it was obvious during the fight you mentioned. Not sure how you would've gathered this fact before that.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining homage to ST2 and a decent way to integrate the Augments into the new universe. Got a little overloaded with star trek references.

On the flip side, Old Spock's scene was dumb and Chris Pine's "space, the final frontier..." reading is like the charismatic-polar opposite of Picard's. Also think that the new Star Trek's fail on their own as a sci-fi franchise. Not much about the characters or story makes sense if you're not a Star Trek fan.

Last edited:
fuckin a man, what a great show. Abrams or somebody needs to jump straight to this version next movie

Back