• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Trek into Darkness (spoiler thread)

Keep in mind Khan is from pretty much the present time. In TOS, he was in the Eugenics war which took place in the 1990s. In the JJverse, I don't know exactly when he got frozen, but it would be pretty close to now.

That makes sense.

Only real beef with the plot is that I have no fucking idea how the whole plan was going to work with Marcus's torpedoes/Khan hiding his people inside/Marcus shutting down the warp on the Enterprise so that it would be attacked by Klingons/etc. I'm able to look past it, but it was murky as hell.

Only real beef with the plot is that I have no fucking idea how the whole plan was going to work with Marcus's torpedoes/Khan hiding his people inside/Marcus shutting down the warp on the Enterprise so that it would be attacked by Klingons/etc. I'm able to look past it, but it was murky as hell.

Marcus wants war with the Klingons, but doesn't want it traced to himself. His plan was that Kirk would fire on Klingon planet, then the warp drive would break down in the forbidden zone so Kirk and the Enterprise would be destroyed. Marcus didn't know that Khan had put his frozen crew members in the torpedoes, and he didn't plan on the fact that Kirk wouldn't fire the torpedoes.

Last edited:
Why did Khan put his crew in the torpedoes? Did he somehow know Marcus would fire them all at him, and then somehow they would survive the impact? Part of the problem was that most of that exposition occurred immediately after he had revealed himself to be Khan, so the whole audience was buzzing in a collective audience nerdgasm and it was hard to fully listen to the explanation.

I too have a lot of trouble with that logic of "I need to hide my homies, wherever can I put them? Oh yeah, inside these torpedoes that are meant to be used as weapons fired from a starship".

Robocop never knew they were in the torpedoes though right? It's a good thing they didn't make more torpedoes than there were Khanites. "You have 75 torpedoes? Oh never mind, I'll start shooting at you now."

I'm guessing Khan didn't expect them to survive a torpedo explosion, since he surrendered immediately when he heard the magic number.

I just don't understand all the butthurt about this movie, it was a good movie. More I think about it, it was as good as Iron Man 3 and the ending was DEF better than IM 3.

I just don't understand all the butthurt about this movie, it was a good movie. More I think about it, it was as good as Iron Man 3 and the ending was DEF better than IM 3.

The reviews for Into Darkness have been better than the Iron Man 3 reviews. The reviews for IM3 fell pretty hard after the fan boy opening weekend.

The reviews for Into Darkness have been better than the Iron Man 3 reviews. The reviews for IM3 fell pretty hard after the fan boy opening weekend.

Cool, I'm mostly just worried that they won't make a third ST if people don't go see this one because a few Trekkers are upset they did Wrath of Khan.

Reactions: Go
I was surprised he was Khan. I felt like that would have been spoiled. Nice job by everyone to keep it under wraps. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

+1

Really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to more Klingons in the near future.

I geeked out last night and watched the original Star Trek TV episode with Khan -- "Space Seed" -- via Netflix. I'd never seen it before. I guess it provides some decent back story, but other than Ricardo Montalban's hair, it's not essential viewing.

is the 3D worth the extra $$$$?

We went to see this in matinee yesterday. Paid $10 (which is ridiculous anyway), but IMAX 3-D would've been $19. wtf? I can't think about paying almost $20 for a movie.

This is coming from a total non-Trekkie, so take that for what it's worth, but I really enjoyed the movie. All the actors/characters are good, tons of action, but a lot of good quips and humor and laughs as well. I recommend, but can't answer whether anyone would be disappointed if they're a big fan of the original series, movies, and plots.

I geeked out last night and watched the original Star Trek TV episode with Khan -- "Space Seed" -- via Netflix. I'd never seen it before. I guess it provides some decent back story, but other than Ricardo Montalban's hair, it's not essential viewing.

Its not even in my top 5 TOS shows. Weak ep outside of Ricardo's performance.

Give me Trouble w/ Tribbles anyday.

Until last night, I'd really never seen a full episode of any Star Trek TV series. Cool that they're available on Netflix.

Back