• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State had us totally dissected

For 1: All the things you said were true about the team that beat Va. Tech, and lost a close one to Maryland on the road. If our team was good enough to do those things, it's damn sure good enough to not get blown out by a rival NIT team, at home. These damn excuses were old the week after we lost to Stetson, and they're ancient now. A loss like this is inexcusable.
For 2: Anyone comparing our situation to Indiana's rebuild with Crean is a damn fool. Every time we take an embarrassing loss, people (Bzz apologists) revise our history in order to further excuse Bz's ineptitude. The truth is, our situation was not nearly as bad as Indiana's was. We were never under sanctions, we always had at least 6 or 7 scholarship players, and most of those players were highly recruited. Please stop using Indiana as an example, Bzz does not deserve that bullshit.

This sums it up. Completely unacceptable under any circumstances or any coach.

I dislike Giglio, but this is spot on analysis IMO. This is what I've been saying all year. Even if [Redacted]'s recruits are the best they can be, I don't know what kind of reasonable success can be expected from five guys flailing around the perimeter with high ball screen after high ball screen being set. It's like a nightmarish motion offense which doesn't have much flow.

"As good as N.C. State's preparation and effort was on Saturday, Wake Forest was a hot mess. Dominique Wilkins thinks Nikita Mescheriakov needs to pass more. Mescheriakov took five shots in the first half (about four too many) with four misses from 3, and was taking shots (often while being defended and early in the shot clock) with reckless abandon.

Point guard Tony Chennault has made a big difference in Wake's offense this season, moving C.J. Harris off the ball and putting Harris in a better position to score, but Chennault somehow convinced himself he was Chris Paul on Saturday and took one ill-advised, forced shot after another.

Meanwhile, McKie and Harris — the second and third leading scorers in the entire ACC — just kind looked wistfully at the ball.

That's why Wake coach Jeff [Redacted], who runs a modified version of the Princeton offense (which he learned at Air Force) said after the game:

"I don't know why we did what we did offensively. I don't know what to say."
Here's what to say: You have to give your best players the ball and put them in position to score. If other players are unwilling to give your best players the ball, get them off the court.

Done and done.

There is no circumstance where Chennault and Mescheriakov should take as many shots, or more in Chennault's case, than McKie.

Gottfried provided the unintentional comedy highlight of the day when he said after the game: "We dealt with their ball screens, they set a lot of them."

I wouldn't characterize any set Wake ran Saturday as screen heavy. It was often four guys spread behind the 3-point line, even 7-foot Ty Walker, while one guy dribbled until the end of the shot clock and waited for a ball screen that either never materialized or was set with the intensity of a third-grader."

from the WSJ article:

"According to McKie and [Redacted], Wood told them he didn't think the foul was intentional. Wood was not available for comment after the game."

WTF is that? Then why was Travis ejected?

I got so disgusted watching the game that I turned it off with 7 minutes left to go in the 2nd half...very disappointing.

It is abundantly clear that we lack any real PG and no post presence. What are you gonna do?

""I don't know why we did what we did offensively today," [Redacted] said. "I don't know what to say. I don't know what to say. I really don't.

"You can ask them.""

This comment is disgusting

""I don't know why we did what we did offensively today," [Redacted] said. "I don't know what to say. I don't know what to say. I really don't.

"You can ask them.""

This comment is disgusting

This is where a competent AD, with some balls, calls this clown into his office for a THOROUGH ass chewing. I mean to the point of "throwing things" ass chewing. My words would be, "I'm paying you how much fucking money and you tell the media it can ask the players what went wrong?!?!"

ETA: In fairness, Wellman may be pissed as well and dealing with this issue tonight. I do know he was out of town last week. I certainly hope so.

Last edited:
I just hope that all the people that continue to claim that [Redacted] is the second coming of Tom Crean (or infer that he is so that they have some deniability) are willing to take their lumps when it becomes apparent he is no Tom Crean.

First time I have said it since the hire...we are in serious trouble. I have tried to stay on the fence for almost two years now, but have been very skeptical. I hate seeing coaches fired for obvious reasons if anyone knows me, but this isn't going to work. We are only delaying the inevitable.

I just hope that all the people that continue to claim that [Redacted] is the second coming of Tom Crean (or infer that he is so that they have some deniability) are willing to take their lumps when it becomes apparent he is no Tom Crean.

First time I have said it since the hire...we are in serious trouble. I have tried to stay on the fence for almost two years now, but have been very skeptical. I hate seeing coaches fired for obvious reasons if anyone knows me, but this isn't going to work. We are only delaying the inevitable.

Welcome to the club buddy.

Maybe we won't hire replacements for Billings and Henry and use the extra to help fund a kick-ass basketball coach.

Or maybe my doorbell will ring in a couple.minutes and the Easter Bunny will hand me a million-dollar check.

When Dino was fired, one argument was that once Wellman knew it wasn't going to work out, it was better to cut ties and let a new guy work from the start with the large, 5-person incoming freshman class.

I don't see Wellman taking the same approach this April.

We are not running the modified Princeton offense as much this year. We are running more of an open post motion offense similar to what Duke has run in years past. I do think we need to start posting Ty up more traditionally. I think he can be effective enough to require more than one defender. It will help our perimeter guys.

When Dino was fired, one argument was that once Wellman knew it wasn't going to work out, it was better to cut ties and let a new guy work from the start with the large, 5-person incoming freshman class.

I don't see Wellman taking the same approach this April.

I just read again the Katz blog post in September on the EPIC collapse of Wake hoops. Saw again the Wellman affirmations of the job Bz is doing, the house cleaning references and so on. This article was discussed extensively here.

Nothing is changing any time soon. He has two more years at least cause his incoming class gives them the youth excuse again.

BuzzOut but Go Deacs

Wood

The sheer ineptitude of this head coach is painfully apparent to anybody that will look at the situation objectively, and not wistfully think that "being a good fan" means denying reality.

The state of Wake Forest hoops saddens me greatly. Right now it is a program on life support and will be until the cancerous coach is removed (not on a personal level *tho I don't care for him*, but on a professional level.)

Back