• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Buzz - End of Year Three (Regular Season)

Three years later, where do you stand on our dear Buzz?

• Total voters
yes -- get all his own players in there and see at that point.

It does not apply to pro coaches though I don't really follow the NBA that closely to care.

I can't disagree with how poorly Bzzz is as a coach. Not in anyway. He was a poor hire. He did the most ridiculous thing of recruiting a 7 man class (now 8 with Green's injury). He is absolute murder in front of a mic. But he only has 3 years in. Now if ther are multiple transfers after this year then I would have to reconsider. But until that happens, I can't say that I want his ouster until the conclusion of year 14-15.

I could understand if you felt like he was average or over-achieving with what he has had and just wanted to give him time to get his players for his system so that we could fairly gauge his upside. But the truth is that he has been a huge under-achiever. Much much worse than Dino ever was from that standpoint.

I think Captain America must have hit the wrong button...

I thought that Duncan was posting that he was BuzzOUT? Is he another one that hit the wrong button?

Proof from another thread...

i'm right there with you. There is nothing but loyalty having me hang on at this point. If buzz comes back I'll check out completely. Being true to your school also requires the school to be true to us. Buzz cannot get the job done. He needs to go.

Last edited:
I thought that Duncan was posting that he was BuzzOUT? Is he another one that hit the wrong button?

Of the 3 BuzzInners: WestJeffersonDea is a legit BuzzInner, cajunking has never posted before, and Duncan strikes me as a mis-cast vote.

Of the 4 BuzzWaiters: DingoDeac has confirmed his stance, OG&G is a State-fan parody, and Captain America also strikes me as a mis-cast vote.

As far as I know, all of the doofus/numbers crew is BuzzOut.

Of 245 voters, I think 242 are actually BuzzOut. That's 98.8% BuzzOut.

Of the 3 BuzzInners: WestJeffersonDea is a legit BuzzInner, cajunking has never posted before, and Duncan strikes me as a mis-cast vote.

Of the 4 BuzzWaiters: DingoDeac has confirmed his stance, OG&G is a State-fan parody, and Captain America also strikes me as a mis-cast vote.

As far as I know, all of the doofus/numbers crew is BuzzOut.

Of 245 voters, I think 242 are actually BuzzOut. That's 98.8% BuzzOut.

I think you are pretty close with this. But now I'm wondering if there are two Captain Americas? The one who voted has apparently only posted 8 times and those posts were about restaurants and bands.

Also, there are only 3 Buzz-Waits not 4. I think that was a mistake that did not affect your computations...

ETA: LOL! NOW there ARE 4 Buzz-Waits.

Last edited:
In a poll, 98.8% of Wake fans said they wanted Jeff [Redacted] fired. Someone email that to Eamonn Brennan. Or Ron.

In a poll, 98.8% of anonymous posters on a Wake message board said they wanted Jeff [Redacted] fired. Someone email that to Eamonn Brennan. Or Ron.

And the sample group is decidedly one-sided.

I knew it was bad - but this is really a little bit shocking. Wellman certainly knows how to unite a fan base.

Well the original SotB's were framed as approval questions ("Do you approve of the job Jeff [Redacted] is doing as Head Coach?") so the doofus/numbers option was covered under "I am not sure" which was also the Buzz-Wait option.

I would really like to see poll results such as these published on FireBz.com. But as it stands, we CANNOT take a serious poll on this MB. We have a couple of things that we need to change if we want these "polls" to be taken even somewhat seriously.

1) The "doofus/numbers" selection has to go. Even most of us on the MB don't understand it.
2) Parodies should NOT be allowed to vote. (One legitimate ID = One Vote) If this can't be fixed, I'd rather lose the ability to create parodies completely.

Number 1 is an easy fix. Number 2 can only be answered by the MB Powers That Be...

Last edited:
We'll start a poll on BSD after the tournament exit that uses some normal terms and doesn't require registration to see it.

I would really like to see these poll results such as these published on FireBz.com. But as it stands, we CANNOT take a serious poll on this MB. We have a couple of things that we need to change if we want these "polls" to be taken even somewhat seriously.

1) The "doofus/numbers" selection has to go. Even most of us on the MB don't understand it.
2) Parodies should NOT be allowed to vote. (One legitimate ID = One Vote) If this can't be fixed, I'd rather lose the ability to create parodies completely.

Number 1 is an easy fix. Number 2 can only be answered by the MB Powers That Be...

I like the idea of this poll, but the sample here is so biased. You would have to use the exact same poll on multiple message boards and then compile the data.

I like the idea of this poll, but the sample here is so biased. You would have to use the exact same poll on multiple message boards and then compile the data.

If this board is a reflection of the larger fanbase, then the sample here is NOT biased. I'm sure RW would like to think it is very biased. But I think it is much closer to a valid representative sample than RW would like. In any event, if we can clean up the voting to something approximating "one man - one vote" I would feel comfortable posting the results on FireBz while citing the date and origin of the data as the only qualifiers.

If this board is a reflection of the larger fanbase, then the sample here is NOT biased. I'm sure RW would like to think it is very biased. But I think it is much closer to a valid representative sample than RW would like. In any event, if we can clean up the voting to something approximating "one man - one vote" I would feel comfortable posting the results on FireBz while citing the date and origin of the data as the only qualifiers.

I said that in relation to this board and the scout board. I think if you run it on the scout board, the majority would still be buzz out... It just wouldn't look like the results here.

I do appreciate Dingo posting an explanation though. I don't agree with it but it is nice to see him backing up his vote.

I'd like to hear from others voting "In" or "Wait" to see why they feel the way they do. Hopefully people wouldn't jump over them if they do post.
I voted BuzzWait for the same sorts of reasons as Dingo, but I think 1 more year not 2. If Bz is the super coach Wellman thinks (with the right players that fit Bz which we now have) then I think it should show up next year in a big way. I see a lot of promise in the freshmen regardless of future coach. The home vs road play is clearly to me a youth problem, and that'll go away. Problems with years 1 and 2 were player/coach fit which I always consider most important....poor fit from the start but not now. If you want to measure objectively, Ken Pom ranks us highest at the finish with the youngest team we had in 3 years. Bz coached Air Force well so with the right players we know he can coach better than he has here (or at Colorado). Friends of mine that are fans of other ACC teams don't have the same terrible impression of him which is also more objective IMO.

If this team had completely collapsed given it's youth, that would have been it for me and I was there early on, but we played well in many games once ACC play started. Next year I don't expect us to lose the games we lost OOC, lose games at home when we had a lead at the end, or get blown out on the road. If we could get one of the big name young coaches in here I would pull that trigger too, but that's a pipe dream so there is no guarantee can get such a coach and then we'd be sitting with the same bozo AD who blew the Dino situation and then would be in a bind here. The 98%ers think it's a guarantee we'll get a better coach. I'm not so sure. A lot of people said the same thing with Dino....and now forgotten.

Last edited:
I voted BuzzWait for the same sorts of reasons as Dingo, but I think 1 more year not 2. If Bz is the super coach Wellman thinks (with the right players that fit Bz which we now have) then I think it should show up next year in a big way. I see a lot of promise in the freshmen regardless of future coach. The home vs road play is clearly to me a youth problem, and that'll go away. Problems with years 1 and 2 were player/coach fit which I always consider most important....poor fit from the start but not now. If you want to measure objectively, Ken Pom ranks us highest at the finish with the youngest team we had in 3 years. Bz coached Air Force well so with the right players we know he can coach better than he has here (or at Colorado). Friends of mine that are fans of other ACC teams don't have the same terrible impression of him which is also more objective IMO.

If this team had completely collapsed given it's youth, that would have been it for me and I was there early on, but we played well in many games once ACC play started. Next year I don't expect us to lose the games we lost OOC, lose games at home when we had a lead, or get blown out on the road. If we could get one of the big name young coaches in here I would pull that trigger too, but that's a pipe dream so there is no guarantee can get such a coach and then we'd be sitting with the same bozo AD who blew the Dino situation and then would be in a bind here. The 98%ers think it's a guarantee we'll get a better coach. I'm not so sure. A lot of people said the same thing with Dino....and now forgotten.

I appreciate what you have said. I do have a question though. Do you believe that a coach who has the awful career stats that bzzz has can magically turn things around?

And I'll add. The reason it was so stupid to bring in Bz in the first place is that hypothetically, the group of college bball players that "fit" Bz is WAY WAY smaller than the group of players that fit most other coaches. That's' why it was so stupid to worry about the recruiting class that was coming in. Wellman thought Bz could change them, without any evidence that Bzz changes anyone. The only evidence of success Wellman really had was Air Force and they all fit Bz. So we lost the class and had to change recruiting targets causing two years of futility.

I voted BuzzWait for the same sorts of reasons as Dingo, but I think 1 more year not 2. If Bz is the super coach Wellman thinks (with the right players that fit Bz which we now have) then I think it should show up next year in a big way[\b]. I see a lot of promise in the freshmen regardless of future coach. The home vs road play is clearly to me a youth problem, and that'll go away. [\B] Problems with years 1 and 2 were player/coach fit which I always consider most important....poor fit from the start but not now. If you want to measure objectively, Ken Pom ranks us highest at the finish with the youngest team we had in 3 years. Bz coached Air Force well so with the right players we know he can coach better than he has here (or at Colorado). Friends of mine that are fans of other ACC teams don't have the same terrible impression of him which is also more objective IMO.

If this team had completely collapsed given it's youth, that would have been it for me and I was there early on, but we played well in many games once ACC play started. Next year I don't expect us to lose the games we lost OOC, lose games at home when we had a lead, or get blown out on the road. [\B] If we could get one of the big name young coaches in here I would pull that trigger too, but that's a pipe dream so there is no guarantee can get such a coach and then we'd be sitting with the same bozo AD who blew the Dino situation and then would be in a bind here. The 98%ers think it's a guarantee we'll get a better coach. I'm not so sure. A lot of people said the same thing with Dino....and now forgotten.

Lots of stuff in here that i presume has been copied and pasted from the past two years.

What does it say that Bz now has good player-coach fit and still was one game away from another last place finish?

I appreciate what you have said. I do have a question though. Do you believe that a coach who has the awful career stats that bzzz has can magically turn things around?
Yes because of what I wrote in the next post. Bz was an extreme hire personality wise from the start and 180° different than Dino. That jarred the program to the core because of coach-ft. Complete lack of fit AND a new coaching staff. It's finally settled so I'm willing to see what he can do but very leary. I was BuzzOut earlier this year after the OOC losses. We'll see. I think the right thing to do would be to let the experiment play out (and too thought Dino should have had that chance). The players are going to be good enough to bring in a pretty good coach. I don't see the risk of keeping him that many of the 98%ers see.

I was told much earlier in the season buzz needed to get to 13 wins to keep his job, fwiw.

Back