• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State of the Buzz, OOC

Do you approve of the job Jeff [Redacted] is doing as Head Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Say Buzz were to get fired at the end of this season. How much would the state of the program affect any potential hires? Would it prevent us from getting any up and coming or big name coaches?

I ask with absolute sincerity as a somewhat new college basketball fan(2006)

I'm Wait and See leaning towards BuzzOut. I acknowledge that we suck but we have cohesion during most games and when the passes are decent, run a pretty good series of offensive sets. Some of that has to be due to coaching. I'd like to see what he can do with a full team before passing complete judgement. Next year is judgement year as far as I'm concerned. If the ACC is still this weak, we'd better be in the top third

Say Buzz were to get fired at the end of this season. How much would the state of the program affect any potential hires? Would it prevent us from getting any up and coming or big name coaches?

I ask with absolute sincerity as a somewhat new college basketball fan(2006)

I think that if Wellman fires Buzz, it'll reflect poorly on Wake. If Wellman himself is fired, I'm not so sure. I don't know how firing Wellman would affect WF's standing with the pool of potential ADs. We're in a bad spot. IMO, the best case for Buzz Outers is Buzz resigning to take an NBA job.

Pre-season
Approve: 21%
Disapprove: 36%
Not sure: 44%

Out of 214 votes.

So, far, with 105 reporting, the poll currently looks like:
Approve: 6%
Disapprove: 61%
Not sure: 33%

The times, they are a changin'.

I think that if Wellman fires Buzz, it'll reflect poorly on Wake. If Wellman himself is fired, I'm not so sure. I don't know how firing Wellman would affect WF's standing with the pool of potential ADs. We're in a bad spot. IMO, the best case for Buzz Outers is Buzz resigning to take an NBA job.

I see it as a bad situation, that can only get worse if Buzz gets fired/quits. Then any coach would have to come into an already bleak situation that just got even worse.

If Wellman and Buzz were to get fired/leave...

I'm Wait and See leaning towards BuzzOut. I acknowledge that we suck but we have cohesion during most games and when the passes are decent, run a pretty good series of offensive sets. Some of that has to be due to coaching. I'd like to see what he can do with a full team before passing complete judgement. Next year is judgement year as far as I'm concerned. If the ACC is still this weak, we'd better be in the top third

The chances of us being in the top 4 next year appear pretty slim to me. We have 2 ACC-level players right now, and are hoping to get 2-3 more who are ready to contribute as frosh. That doesn't sound like a recipe for top 4. Especially when 1 of the 3 new guys expected to contribute is not even in the top 100 players in the country.

Out of 214 votes.

So, far, with 105 reporting, the poll currently looks like:
Approve: 6%
Disapprove: 61%
Not sure: 33%

The times, they are a changin'.

Timing the poll directly after the Wofford game may have something to do with it? Still a bit surprised by the results, I feel a lot better about him now than I did at the end of last season.

The chances of us being in the top 4 next year appear pretty slim to me. We have 2 ACC-level players right now, and are hoping to get 2-3 more who are ready to contribute as frosh. That doesn't sound like a recipe for top 4. Especially when 1 of the 3 new guys expected to contribute is not even in the top 100 players in the country.

I expect a senior CJ and a junior McKie to be great. Factor in some freshmen who seem to actually want to rebound and a PG who seems to keep rising in the rankings. Plus, aside from Duke and UNC, the rest of the conference is a complete crapshoot.

Timing the poll directly after the Wofford game may have something to do with it? Still a bit surprised by the results, I feel a lot better about him now than I did at the end of last season.

Definitely possible. I thought about waiting until tomorrow, but was bored at work. I'll try to find a better mid-point between games for the halfway thru ACC poll.

I do think the lack of ACC ready talent is a bit overstated. TC and even Carson have looked really good in flashes this year. The problem is the depth; we can't effectively hide them when they go through their (long, in Carson's cases) stretches where they forget how to play basketball. I think just having a few more warm bodies will help next year. Hopefully that, in addition to some progression, could lead to a big step forward.

Firing Bz now would be a disaster. You'd then have the perception that Wake fired a coach with a .700 record for reasons that are not readily apparent and then fired his replacement before he got to play with any of his players as even sophomores after massive personnel losses that are mostly/probably not his doing. The message to other coaches would be we have a mess that needs to get fixed, but we're only going to give you 2 years to do it--no matter what the circumstances are. I'm sure some low to mid-major coach would give it a go, but I think you're asking for long-term trouble if you do it now.

Timing the poll directly after the Wofford game may have something to do with it?

Yeah, an epically bad loss certainly weighs into the opinion of the job Bzz is doing...as do the many epically bad losses of the past.

I do think the lack of ACC ready talent is a bit overstated. TC and even Carson have looked really good in flashes this year. The problem is the depth; we can't effectively hide them when they go through their (long, in Carson's cases) stretches where they forget how to play basketball.

ACC Ready Talent doesn't go through long stretches where they forget how to play basketball.

I do think the lack of ACC ready talent is a bit overstated. TC and even Carson have looked really good in flashes this year. The problem is the depth; we can't effectively hide them when they go through their (long, in Carson's cases) stretches where they forget how to play basketball. I think just having a few more warm bodies will help next year. Hopefully that, in addition to some progression, could lead to a big step forward.

TC has looked like a bad point guard all year, with stretches of being "ok". His 10 points a game vs. scrub teams isn't fooling anyone into thinking he is ACC ready. I'm impressed with his complete inability to get assists. Carson looks ACC capable when he shows up to play, but he is non-existent for 75% of his playing time.

Last edited:
Yeah, an epically bad loss certainly weighs into the opinion of the job Bzz is doing...as do the many epically bad losses of the past.

I don't really think last night's loss qualifies as "epically bad" anymore, given the number of horrible losses we've had in the Bzz Era. I'm leaning toward classifying it as "sadly routine."

Wrong. Firing a successful coach reflected poorly on Wake. The AD proving he's a liar by:
1) Saying it was for post season failure and then hiring someone with no NCAA appearances reflected poorly on Wake,
2) Manufacturing a "culture" argument to try and cover his mistake reflected poorly on Wake,
3) Defending his failure with ridiculous post game rhetoric reflected poorly on Wake,
4) Publicizing inflated attendance numbers reflects poorly on Wake.

If you want to find reasons why a good coaching candidate might not be interested in Wake, you don't have to look very far... The fact is that getting rid of Bz would be the first sensible thing Wellman has done regarding the basketball program in two years.

Wrong. Firing a successful coach reflected poorly on Wake. The AD proving he's a liar by:
1) Saying it was for post season failure and then hiring someone with no NCAA appearances reflected poorly on Wake,
2) Manufacturing a "culture" argument to try and cover his mistake reflected poorly on Wake,
3) Defending his failure with ridiculous post game rhetoric reflected poorly on Wake,
4) Publicizing inflated attendance numbers reflects poorly on Wake.
5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord

*head explodes*

5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord 5) brokenrecord

*head explodes*

It's your head...

Back