• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State vs. Carowhina

I think that NCSU's team has 4 players that will be drafted in the NBA. I think Wood will flunk out of the NBA because of his lack of athleticism, but someone will fall in love with his shooting stroke and draft him.

Slow down there chief. You are WAY overestimating everyone but CJ Leslie. Brown may develop into a NBA player by his senior season but neither he, Wood, or Howell are going to sniff an NBA roster at this point in time. Leslie is a boss but even he's a pretty big stretch before a mid first rounder right now.

Even granting that we have 4 NBA players on the team, which is hilarious, we only have those 4 players and 1 other who is decent. the others really shouldn't see time on an ACC floor. And 2 of those guys have to play significant minutes every game, either because of fatigue, foul trouble, or both. When you go up against teams like Duke and UNC who have McDonald's All-Americans all over their bench, and then teams like UVa and FSU who are both pretty darn good and wear you down so much defensively, it makes sense that those are the teams we're losing to

UNC has the talent mix to be a final 4 team

rathboneholmes.jpg

tau, pretty sure you missed the point there.

Carolina has 3 lottery picks in their front court and the best passer in college basketball. They have played well below their talent level for a large majority of the season.

Howell is essentially the same player as Lavoy Allen, who was drafted last season.

Agree that Wood will never get his shot off, but that won't stop some NBA exec from taking a flyer on a 2nd rounder with a non guaranteed contract.

What the hell are you talking about? Lavoy Allen was a really good defender in college. If the 6ers didn't have so many injuries he may not have seen the floor at all this year. Allen nearly averaged 2 blocks per game and Howell isn't even averaging a half a block per game.

Scott Wood also has 0 chance of making an NBA roster. I am always amazed at how far off people are as to who will be or not be drafted in the NBA. There are only 2 rounds in the draft we have no idea what foreign players are out there unless your a European basketball fanatic.

Carolina has 3 lottery picks in their front court and the best passer in college basketball. They have played well below their talent level for a large majority of the season.

well below is an understatement.
they frustrate the fuck out of me.
at this point i can only hope they're just saving it for the tourney.
but i think this is as good as we get this season.

Carolina has a lot of height and length, and solid shooting but seem underathletic and a bit slow (/less quick) compared to other elite teams. from what i've seen, which isn't a lot. I think if you put a super quick point guard like Ty Lawson or Raymond Felton on this team it improves dramatically. Not that Marshall's not good, he is, but it seems like that's what puts roy's teams over the top

Been drinking for a while now (thanks State) so I obviously did miss that. Preciate the heads up TITSWF. I'll retire for the night now haha.

yeah i am just really happy that roy williams has fooled the majority of carolina fans into thinking he is a good coach. i can't even imagine carolina with a coach that can recruit AND coach. scary.

Don't think anyone from the ACC will make too much of a run in the tourney. All have pretty large weaknesses. Carolina is the obvious favorite to go the farthest from the conference, but on average their 3 point shooting is not near as good as it showed tonight. They have talent, and Zeller and Henson are good down low. State did a good job of shutting Zeller down most of the game, until the went to the foul line a lot towards the end. They bothered him by poking the ball out. Henson's length is ridiculous. Barnes has that one dribble pull up that is good. And Marshall as much as I hate to say it, has improved a lot. I have had some Carolina fans tell me now they think he goes to the NBA (which I do not believe yet, but we will see). I still think unless they get a favorable matchup, I can see them losing in the second round of NCAA's. Having depth for them is a big key though. Only time will tell

Lol @ people talking about how Kendall Marshall is the best PG in the country... he's good for sure, but not the best. Stop overhyping him please.

(Not people here, I'm just seeing a lot of Tar-hole fans chirping other schools and glorifying him.)

Lol @ people talking about how Kendall Marshall is the best PG in the country... he's good for sure, but not the best. Stop overhyping him please.

(Not people here, I'm just seeing a lot of Tar-hole fans chirping other schools and glorifying him.)

I agree with you. It is funny. I will admit he has gotten a lot better(and trust me, i HATE to admit that) but he is far from the best PG in the nation. Is he important to Carolina? Sure. But he still has a shaky outside shot, and hasn't really had to face any other great PGs that get physical with him. I also don't think he will do much, if anything, in the NBA (just my two cents)

I agree with you. It is funny. I will admit he has gotten a lot better(and trust me, i HATE to admit that) but he is far from the best PG in the nation. Is he important to Carolina? Sure. But he still has a shaky outside shot, and hasn't really had to face any other great PGs that get physical with him. I also don't think he will do much, if anything, in the NBA (just my two cents)

#foreverabackup

Agreed completely.

And they're still 24-4 with losses against Duke, UNLV, Kentucky, and Florida State. My point is they have enough talent to where they can play below their talent level and still win more often then not. We'll see how that goes in the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the National championship game nor would I be surprised to see them upset in the 2nd round or sweet 16. It only takes one bad game in the NCAA's to lose.

I was going for State last night, while I don't care for some of State's fans I basically want anyone but Duke or UNC to win in the ACC. Carolina is just better then State. State's only "good" win against Miami took a hit last night too with Miami losing to Maryland.

I feel this way about all of the "stars" on UNC-CH's team. I know everyone is in love with Barnes and Henson, and even Zeller, but I'm not sure if any of these guys is a long term starter in the NBA. The may wind up as lottery picks, but they have "quality depth" written all over them.

And they're still 24-4 with losses against Duke, UNLV, Kentucky, and Florida State. My point is they have enough talent to where they can play below their talent level and still win more often then not. We'll see how that goes in the NCAA tournament. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the National championship game nor would I be surprised to see them upset in the 2nd round or sweet 16. It only takes one bad game in the NCAA's to lose.

I was going for State last night, while I don't care for some of State's fans I basically want anyone but Duke or UNC to win in the ACC. Carolina is just better then State. State's only "good" win against Miami took a hit last night too with Miami losing to Maryland.

Can't depend on a friggin cane if your life depended on it :squint:

And it's been said but unc (gawd this hurts) is just better player wise than us. Kinda like Gott said pick your poison. Unc doesn't normally shoot that many 3's but last nite they did and that hurt us a lot. O well we still have a chance to finish the yr out on a good note

UNC has the talent mix to be a final 4 team: great PG; inside height; great wing player. Marshall is the key. If he is injured or gets in foul trouble, they are not nearly the same team.

Intended understatement!

The rest of the story is that they do not have either the heart or toughness to go deep in the tournament, IMO.

Carolina has a lot of height and length, and solid shooting but seem underathletic and a bit slow (/less quick) compared to other elite teams. from what i've seen, which isn't a lot. I think if you put a super quick point guard like Ty Lawson or Raymond Felton on this team it improves dramatically. Not that Marshall's not good, he is, but it seems like that's what puts roy's teams over the top

Yeah, i guess UNC would be better if their whole roster was burger boys, instead of the ~8 they have now. They just need a little more talent to put them over the top.

Roy sucks so hard.

But the whole season comes down to the NCAA tournament for the elite teams. This UNC-CH team definitely has enough talent to win it all. They just need Bullock to catch fire like Donald Williams. I don't really like UNC-CH in close games though.

Back