• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

I think that this disconcerting for our next head coaching search, as well as revealing as to what went on last year.

I've mentioned it before, but I think the big problem last year and this year was the lack of attractive mid-major coaching talent. As I've written before, unless you're a marquee program or have a personal tie with a coach, you're probably not going to get a coach from another successful BCS program. Thus, unless you want to hire an assistant from somewhere, you're probably going to be hiring from a mid-major. Here are the hot mid-major names:

- Brad Stevens (from Indianapolis; just got Butler to the final game 2 years in a row)

- Shaka Smart (just took VCU to Final 4)

- Chris Mack (from Cincinnati; Xavier alumnus)

- Brian Gregory (took GT job)

- Gregg Marshall

That's about it. Not enough mid-majors to go around. So you see what happened -- Missouri hired Frank Haith (a big stretch); Tennessee hired Cuonzo Martin (a 2nd/3rd tier mid-major name); Texas Tech hired Gillispie; Utah hired an NBA assistant. Oklahoma hiring Lon Kruger may end up being the best hire of the offseason, and I don't think anyone is especially fired up about Kruger.

Given this, Marshall would be about a good a hire as NCSU could hope for.

I've mentioned it before, but I think the big problem last year and this year was the lack of attractive mid-major coaching talent. As I've written before, unless you're a marquee program or have a personal tie with a coach, you're probably not going to get a coach from another successful BCS program. Thus, unless you want to hire an assistant from somewhere, you're probably going to be hiring from a mid-major. Here are the hot mid-major names:

- Brad Stevens (from Indianapolis; just got Butler to the final game 2 years in a row)

- Shaka Smart (just took VCU to Final 4)

- Chris Mack (from Cincinnati; Xavier alumnus)

- Brian Gregory (took GT job)

- Gregg Marshall

That's about it. Not enough mid-majors to go around. So you see what happened -- Missouri hired Frank Haith (a big stretch); Tennessee hired Cuonzo Martin (a 2nd/3rd tier mid-major name); Texas Tech hired Gillispie; Utah hired an NBA assistant. Oklahoma hiring Lon Kruger may end up being the best hire of the offseason, and I don't think anyone is especially fired up about Kruger.

Given this, Marshall would be about a good a hire as NCSU could hope for.

Agree 100%. I'd add that at least based on what we've read on this board, Wellman pulled a "Missouri" too quickly last year by going straight from his reach picks (Stevens / Tubby / Alford) all the way down to [Redacted]--the veteran retread--without at least considering Marshall, Brownell, and maybe Gregory. It's funny that in actuality, Missouri fans may see their AD as pulling a "Wake Forest."

As for State, I agree that Marshall would be a great hire for State and is a guy I'd probably prefer over Smart anyway.

The one obvious omission from my list was Chris Mooney at Richmond.

True; as a Wake fan I'd prefer him to Gregory, Marshall, Brownell, and even Smart. But as I think IAppreciateIt pointed it, signing 7 and 10-year extensions in back to back years probably means he isn't/wouldn't have been a serious option for any high-major program.

I think Mooney is a Richmond lifer. He's got great job security and (while they haven't really spent it on athletics before) Richmond is absolutely LOADED. They can absolutely match almost any offer for him.

I think Mooney is a Richmond lifer. He's got great job security and (while they haven't really spent it on athletics before) Richmond is absolutely LOADED. They can absolutely match almost any offer for him.

I don't get that feeling that Mooney is going to stay there forever. Pete Gillen (not an expert by any means) wrote last year about a lot of "hot young coaches" aren't jumping at the first big job that comes along anymore and are waiting out the right opportunity. I think Mooney may be doing the same. I will agree that financially he's set but if he's looking for an opportunity to complete for a National championship he may look beyond the money aspect.

I will agree that financially he's set but if he's looking for an opportunity to complete for a National championship he may look beyond the money aspect.

Well I dunno. If Butler and VCU can make a Final Four, and if Butler can make back-to-back title games, why can't Richmond? The mid-majors don't have to worry as much about losing guys early to the pros and they certainly don't have to deal with the competition level that an NC State does with Duke and UNC right next door.

Guys like Smart, Stevens and Mooney staying put really speaks to the changing landscape of college hoops IMO. Perhaps if they change the one-and-done rule thing will become a little more normal again but I don't think we would've seen guys like these staying where they're at 10, or maybe even 5, years ago.

I definitely think these hot mid-major coaches are beginning to think differently about their jobs. I suspect they see the lack of job security at the high-major level. At the same time, they see George Mason, Butler and VCU making the Final 4, and other schools such as Gonzaga and Xavier becoming fixtures in the NCAA Tournament year after year. They seem to be getting better talent than they used to be able to get and I suspect the coaches are being paid better than they used to be paid.

As a result, I think they've become more discerning about simply jumping to the first high-major job that offers. It seems like they're looking for a school that will fit long-term. No one wants to take a job and get run out of town in 3 years or take a job that will simply be another stepping-stone position.

Wake is a unique place and I think that there are coaches out there who would be great fits for our university. Hopefully, the timing and opportunity match up next time it's our turn to hire a new coach. It seems like these things aligned when we hired Skip. Not so much with [Redacted].

For NCSU, I've thought all along that Marshall was a good fit for them, because of his reputation of being an arrogant a-hole. I feel like that's the kind of coach NCSU needs -- a guy who isn't afraid and will go toe-to-toe with K and Roy. In order words, a coach who is kind of a douche. Marshall seems to fit the bill.

Well I dunno. If Butler and VCU can make a Final Four, and if Butler can make back-to-back title games, why can't Richmond? The mid-majors don't have to worry as much about losing guys early to the pros and they certainly don't have to deal with the competition level that an NC State does with Duke and UNC right next door.

Guys like Smart, Stevens and Mooney staying put really speaks to the changing landscape of college hoops IMO. Perhaps if they change the one-and-done rule thing will become a little more normal again but I don't think we would've seen guys like these staying where they're at 10, or maybe even 5, years ago.

Good point! If Butler can win tonight it will change a lot of perceptions about mid-majors.

I'm gonna be honest, reading the NC State board today was pretty much an hour long orgasm. I called a few pages back that it was Marshall or bust... now it looks like Shaka is staying and Cronin is signing an extension. Do you people realize how close we are to having Geno Auriemma on an ACC sideline?

Well, it's a good thing they hired that search committee firm and had all this out in the open! That's the way it's done!

Awesome picture of Marshall:

1786742.jpg

Watch him accept it now and I'll look like a dumbass, but whatever.

Whew...that would be bad news for State. If Marshall turns them down, not sure where they go next. Someone, somewhere will take their money (and it will probably be someone that most folks will like better than [Redacted]), but it's hard to imagine it's going to be someone especially desirable.

As an aside, not really sure why Marshall would turn down the NCSU gig.

Well this pretty much sucks for State.

Not sure why people think a search for us would go much differently in the near future, and also don't think we had as good a chance with the people last year as we thought we did.

On the bright side, we now see why Wellman didn't have a public search. We got a shitty coach out of the deal, but State will too... after being publicly embarassed for weeks. Again.

PackPridecom Pack Pride
Gregg Marshall is staying at Wichita State after receiving interest from NCSU. No offer was made, formal offer or "Shaka offer"

Oh its on.

Let's say [Redacted] is fired in two years. I think that puts us in prime position to grab Mooney.

Maybe optimistic thinking? Thoughts?

Back