• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

A lot of packpride thinks Gregg Marshall's NIT championship is better than Shaka's Final Four. A lot of posters also legitimately think Sid's tenure was better than Herb's last 5 years. You could call NC State fans delusional, but I think it's more accurate to say we're just retarded.

And this is why NC State is not a very sellable job; their fans negate the only selling point they have related to on-court results.

If the narrative was that Sendek was a decent enough coach but that his lack of charisma etc. and uninteresting system kept the program from taking the next step, then after he left the wrong hire was made to keep the momentum going...that's something to hold onto.

To say that Sendek's tenure was worthless...well then you're left with saying basically the last 2 decades of NC State basketball produced nothing. That's why I say you can't call NC State a top 5 job in the conference anymore; it's all bread and no meat.

I don't remember anybody claiming this was Final Four talent.

Whatever talent it is, it's hard to say Smart had a whole lot to do with it being there.

That's the question you have to answer if you offer Smart a contract as the AD for a Missouri or NC State. Yeah he recruited some decent players to Clemson but it's not like that group ever accomplished a lot other than going 15-0 against terrible non-conference competition and .500ish in the conference. If you do give him credit for the Clemson recruits, then you're saying he can recruit guys that can run and jump, but not really um...shoot, or pass, or make 60% of their free throws.

So let me get this straight. State is trying to hire a coach who will bring results and a coach who is taking another coach's players to the Final Four is not good enough?

I actually get the Marshall part. I don't get the Lowe better than Sendek at all.

I actually get the Marshall part. I don't get the Lowe better than Sendek at all.

One rationale is that Lowe sucked and it was obvious he sucked so it was easier to fire him and the media didn't chastise us for getting rid of him like Sendek. To which I say, grow thicker skin. The media wouldn't have said a word about Sendek if the next coach had been successful and we didn't hire the worst coach in NBA history.

Two, people say that Herb constantly being on the bubble was agonizing and knowing that we couldn't go far in the tourney was terrible. Herb's last season was awful and it was clear he needed to go after that, but the guy set a good foundation after we basically tried to self impose the death penalty on the basketball program after Valvano. The basketball and our results were solid. The last 4 years of Sidney's tenure was the worst basketball I have ever seen. It was dreadful. Even when we had a lot of talent on the team (the difference between our pathetic basketball and y'alls this season. As well as the four seasons instead of one. (Sid's first year was pretty good considering the circumstances))

The irrational hatred of Herb is pathetic. It was time for him to go, but he did some good things for us and got us back to respectability. It's mind boggling that people hate him so much they'll even pretend sitting through this Lowe debacle was better.

So let me get this straight. State is trying to hire a coach who will bring results and a coach who is taking another coach's players to the Final Four is not good enough?

This is the attitude that got Paul Hewitt a 7 million dollar buyout.

Twitter consensus seems to be that both Missouri and NC State are each going to go full bore after Smart, with the "loser" of the Smart sweepstakes left to scoop up Marshall.

Let's see, Marshall or Smart, Smart or Marshall? Hmmm...

Either is probably an upgrade for State, although I'm not sure that we can know yet how much an upgrade Smart would be.

Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports drops the hammer:

Smart will earn at least $640,000 this season with bonuses. Former coach Anthony Grant, whose departure for Alabama paved the way for Smart, earned just shy of $900,000 his final season with the Rams.

According to sources close VCU, athletic director Norwood Teague will offer Smart a new deal in the neighborhood of $1 million per season.

“We're going to be aggressive in our efforts to keep him,” Teague said.

VCU can't go toe-to-toe with the big boys, though, in terms of a financial package. However, Smart isn't going to jump just to jump.

He's well aware of the insanely unrealistic North Carolina State fan base from his days as an assistant at Clemson, and he's smart and connected enough to be familiar with Wolfpack athletic director Debbie Yow's poor reputation while at Maryland.

I'd be shocked if Smart takes the money and runs to Raleigh to replace recently dismissed Sidney Lowe.

He understands that while Missouri is a step up in terms of level, exposure and dollars, he doesn't have the same level of comfort he's formed with Teague, Ellis and the rest of the VCU administration.

Sources have said the Tigers' opening remains more intriguing to him than the one at N.C. State.

Link to full article: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/smart-must-be-cautious-with-next-step

Jeff Goodman of Fox Sports drops the hammer:

Smart will earn at least $640,000 this season with bonuses. Former coach Anthony Grant, whose departure for Alabama paved the way for Smart, earned just shy of $900,000 his final season with the Rams.

According to sources close VCU, athletic director Norwood Teague will offer Smart a new deal in the neighborhood of $1 million per season.

“We're going to be aggressive in our efforts to keep him,” Teague said.

VCU can't go toe-to-toe with the big boys, though, in terms of a financial package. However, Smart isn't going to jump just to jump.

He's well aware of the insanely unrealistic North Carolina State fan base from his days as an assistant at Clemson, and he's smart and connected enough to be familiar with Wolfpack athletic director Debbie Yow's poor reputation while at Maryland.

I'd be shocked if Smart takes the money and runs to Raleigh to replace recently dismissed Sidney Lowe.

He understands that while Missouri is a step up in terms of level, exposure and dollars, he doesn't have the same level of comfort he's formed with Teague, Ellis and the rest of the VCU administration.

Sources have said the Tigers' opening remains more intriguing to him than the one at N.C. State.

Link to full article: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/smart-must-be-cautious-with-next-step

Don't worry, the delusional crowd will say they did not want Smart anyway and that their first choice has always been Donavan. :p

I expect to see two Wolfpack Club employees on Tuesday night at the Hickory Sportsman's Club. They won't tell me anything, but at least I get to ask. General thinking is the reason that they haven't announced anything is that the candidate was still coaching. So, if Marshall is their choice, we should know by Tuesday. Just one of many theories.

Yea. It seems like Yow, either through her own volition or at the urging of high-ranking Wolfpack Club members, initially reached to total longshot candidates (e.g., Donovan, Barnes, Miller, Pastner) and now that this nonsense has subsided, has settled on taking one of Smart / Marshall and is just waiting until she can actually offer either of them a contract.

1. Jeff Goodman is a no-account douchebag.
2. My impression is that high-dollar WPC members are not directing this search unlike the last one because Debbie Yow is not the spineless fool that Lee Fowler was.
3. I laugh at the media's frustration at the lack of real info coming out/being leaked about the search & their subsequent writing/posting of any idea that passes through their head & saying they heard it from a "source".:laugh:

State insiders can still play the "our candidates are still coaching" line until Monday, then they are going to have to put their cards on the table.

Jeff Goodman is a no-account douchebag.

While he does look like the retarded youngest son that Archie Manning kept locked away in the attic, he did break the [Redacted]-to-Wake news (which I initially thought was total BS) and he seems to generally have good sources.

Jeff_Goodman_20091215062304_0_0.JPG

Speculation can differ on what this means, but apparently the Smarts recently found out they're going to be parents.

Before the tournament run I also remember reading that Maya was tired of moving around. One wonders if Columbia, MO will be to her liking. One wonders if Raleigh will suit him due to all the factors above.

MIzzou offered Painter a seven year deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer Smart the same length deal.

Mizzou has a history of keeping coaches,

MIzzou offered Painter a seven year deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer Smart the same length deal.

Mizzou has a history of keeping coaches,

If NC State hires him, it'll probably take a contract of the same length. Yow's rep is really really bad. It took a 7 year deal for Maryland to hire a lacrosse coach from the Ivy League (her last hire at UMD) despite the fact that UMD was giving him a big pay bump. Factor in her relationship with Gary (a very well respected person in the coaching community) and they're gonna have to give out a ridiculous contract to someone.

Back