• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

Inhaling all those cow turd fumes for that many years can make you say some stupid shit.

I bet Coach K is somewhere around 8 or 9 on their list of favorite candidates.

Inhaling all those cow turd fumes for that many years can make you say some stupid shit.

I bet Coach K is somewhere around 8 or 9 on their list of favorite candidates.

And he's probably somewhere in between zombie John Wooden and Phil Jackson.

Not all of you are monitoring the UMD thread or reading through packpride, so I feel like its my civic duty to share this quote from packpride with you.

Not to be racists but whats up with NCSU hiring black coaches lately with no experience? If even going after a mixed person?

Maryland fans are just as delusional as State fans as far as I can tell.

Facepalm

to be fair everyone has blasted that guy, and he only appeared recently and has made nothing but derogatory posts. def a candidate for a dumbass troll trying to make State look bad

This analogy is used pretty poorly on these boards. A kid gets an incomplete if they were somehow unable to complete an assignment.

Any coach who is coaching in the Final Four does not get an "incomplete". That's the final exam and Shaka got an A++. He's just going for extra credit at this point. Not only did he make the Final Four, he did it in dominant fashion.

And Watson's avatar and voice should get all the credit for the work people did before the 2 day Jeopardy! special.

Not saying Smart is an empty suit, but he didn't have much to do with bringing in the talent on this team to Richmond.

People are just picking nits trying to knock back my BOI, Shaka Smart. About to go on a neg repping rampage in his honor.

Did Anthony Grant take these players to the Final Four?

Not when they were freshmen and sophomores, no, considering most of the ones that matter most weren't there then. But they did decide to transfer there before Grant left, right?

And Watson's avatar and voice should get all the credit for the work people did before the 2 day Jeopardy! special.

Not saying Smart is an empty suit, but he didn't have much to do with bringing in the talent on this team to Richmond.

I don't remember anybody claiming this was Final Four talent.

I am zippy scared of the actual hiring of Smart, BECAUSE:

a) He goes Stan Heath and is gone within 5 years.

b) He's a home run and State does well, a better job comes along, and he is gone within 5 years.

Either way will leave State fan in disarray and we'll get another one of these incredibly entertaining threads by 2015.

NCSU finally releases a statement:

"As Senior Associate Athletic Director at State and member of the head men's basketball coach search committee, I wanted to pass along the following about the process. A number of talented Division I coaches have indicated strong interest in the NC State men’s basketball coach position. As those conversations have occurred, coaches have naturally inquired about the potential compensation commitment of State, as would occur in any type of job search. Responding to those compensation questions is not the equivalent of “offering the job” to anyone. Instead, it is simply sharing information that reflects the commitment of State to the men’s basketball program."

from NCSU Sr Assoc AD Chris Kingston

God, is it just me or is this incredibly pathetic?

"No really! Talented coaches want to come here!!! For real guys!!!"

Debbie Yow is putting the full force of her faux PhD to work here guys. Her genius will prevail.

I'm very afraid of Smart. I realize many people are going to say he's an empty suit and he hasn't proven this or that...

But he just made a Final Four with a group of middle of the road talent. He seems like an energetic guy who is a player's coach and would be great to play for. He'll recruit very well in the near future on this 15 minutes in the spotlight. With an ounce of good coaching, his team at State could end up being very good. This all assumes he even leaves VCU for State, but I'd much prefer they got someone else.

Only thing I take issue with rawarr is that VCU had middle-road talent this year. When I watched VCU play Kansas, there was hardly a disparity in talent. Only the Morris twins stood out. Either Kansas also has middle-road talent, or VCU's players are actually quite good.

If VCU's players are in fact quite good, as I think they are, it then becomes a head scratcher as to why VCU had such a lackluster regular season.

Shaka's great and all, but for my money I'd take Greg Marshall.

Let's hope State thinks like you.

I want Shaka here a year from now. Desperately.

Only thing I take issue with rawarr is that VCU had middle-road talent this year. When I watched VCU play Kansas, there was hardly a disparity in talent. Only the Morris twins stood out. Either Kansas also has middle-road talent, or VCU's players are actually quite good.

If VCU's players are in fact quite good, as I think they are, it then becomes a head scratcher as to why VCU had such a lackluster regular season.

Shaka's great and all, but for my money I'd take Greg Marshall.

Fair enough point, but I don't think they have any special players on their roster. Agree to disagree on that one perhaps.

I think Marshall is a much better candidate at this point.

Getting VCU to the Final Four with their players is definitely hugely performing beyond their talent level, over five games. VCU barely making the tournament this season, and failing to make the tournament or NIT last season was underachieving relative to VCU's talent level, over two seasons. How much of those performances you want to attribute to Smart is up to you.

I think Marshall is a much better candidate at this point.

Getting VCU to the Final Four with their players is definitely hugely performing beyond their talent level, over five games. VCU barely making the tournament this season, and failing to make the tournament or NIT last season was underachieving relative to VCU's talent level, over two seasons. How much of those performances you want to attribute to Smart is up to you.

Agree with pretty much all of this. What VCU has done in this tournament is incredible, no doubt, but at the end of the day I think I'd rather stake my claim with Marshall. He's now succeeded and built up 2 programs at different levels (Winthrop as a low-major, WSU as a mid-major) in 2 different geographic regions with varying styles of play. I would take that over 2 outstanding postseason performances by Smart.*

*It should be noted that when you include VCU's CBI "title" last season, Smart is 10-0 in postseason play as a head coach. Regardless of what we all think of the CBI, that record is utterly ridiculous.

Agree with pretty much all of this. What VCU has done in this tournament is incredible, no doubt, but at the end of the day I think I'd rather stake my claim with Marshall. He's now succeeded and built up 2 programs at different levels (Winthrop as a low-major, WSU as a mid-major) in 2 different geographic regions with varying styles of play. I would take that over 2 outstanding postseason performances by Smart.*

*It should be noted that when you include VCU's CBI "title" last season, Smart is 10-0 in postseason play as a head coach. Regardless of what we all think of the CBI, that record is utterly ridiculous.

Yup. The fact that Marshall has yet to be hired by a big time program makes me believe the rumors that he's a giant douchebag who's impossible to work with. I'd still take him, though.

on some morning show today either czaban or the sports junkies said they thought the state job was one of the worst available open jobs, and youd have to be a fool to take it if you are a hot coach like Smart, Mooney, etc.

Back