• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

State's next coach?

I'll LOL if Mizzou hires Marshall, Smart turns down State to stay at VCU, and State has to settle for Mick Cronin.

Cronin might still be the third best coach in the league. That's how pathetic the ACC is. Gary's the only one outside of K and Roy that has done anything, and he's completely past it. DY took a rep hit for trying to fire a worthless coach coasting off his championship just a bit too soon.

Cronin might still be the third best coach in the league. That's how pathetic the ACC is. Gary's the only one outside of K and Roy that has done anything, and he's completely past it. DY took a rep hit for trying to fire a worthless coach coasting off his championship just a bit too soon.

That's not when her and Gary started to feud. I can tell you for a fact that the account of events given is wrong. They didn't get along throughout almost all of her tenure. It only went public during Vasquez's junior year, but I can guarantee you that even if that had never happened, Gary would still be calling everyone he knows to tell them not to work for Yao. She was no friend at all to either the football or basketball programs. Her "balanced budgets" were the result of messing around with the numbers (apparently the real numbers are much much worse than she ever let on), cutting huge chunks out of academic support, and generally short changing the revenue sports whenever she needed an extra buck. Fun Yao fact: She paid the women's basketball assistants more than the men's assistants.

And I honestly don't even think Cronin would accept the NC State job. It doesn't really make much sense for him. He's a Cincy alum and has lived almost his whole life in the area. He's already proven that he can recruit well to Cincinnati. He's already had a few tournament teams and will probably continue to make it there fairly consistently. It just doesn't make sense for him to take a job like NC State. He's probably gonna try to get a raise out of this whole mess. If I had to guess, I'd think the coaching search boils down to Gregg Marshall and (if they whiff on him) then its full blown panic mode and who knows what happens then.

Smart to Mizzou makes too much sense not to happen. They have the players in place for that style already, and should be pretty good next year.

I probably overrate the State job by virtue of being a North Carolinian and ACC homer, but Cincy and Mizzou are clearly better jobs than State. The only way State could steal a coach from Cincy or beat out Mizzou for a coach is an edge in location which they don't have with Cronin and probably doesn't have for Smart who isn't necessarily an east coast guy.

Link

N.C. State’s search for a basketball coach will move on to a new top target, as sources indicate that Virginia Commonwealth’s Shaka Smart has withdrawn from consideration for the job.

Gregg Marshall. Just go ahead and hire the guy and get it over with.

Gregg Marshall. Just go ahead and hire the guy and get it over with.

The only thing left to see is how much he will get paid. He can leverage what the other guys were going to get to increase his own amount. I bet it's around 1.5 million.

TheBigLead From the agent of a college hoops coach: It's not NC State, it's Yow. "Nobody wants to work for her."

^
Lol just saw that on the Terps board. This coaching search is quickly becoming just as, if not more entertaining that State's previous one.

The irony is that NCSU probably should have just hired Marshall back in 2006 instead of Sidney Lowe. I know his name was discussed at the time.

I think that this disconcerting for our next head coaching search, as well as revealing as to what went on last year.

It would suck if they back into Marshall. He'd be a great hire, imo.

TheBigLead From the agent of a college hoops coach: It's not NC State, it's Yow. "Nobody wants to work for her."

Cue NC State fans saying the media is out to get them instead of accepting the fact that Yow is a complete failure as an AD.

But they may have lucked out here. Marshall >>>> Smart.

Last edited:
Back