• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Marsh shooting with his toe on the line is not a shot I want to see. Ditto Boopie shooting from 25.

Too much chucking from 3 in the first half.

Why was Marsh taking a 3??
I feel like we make those if this game wasn’t on a Monday and we weren’t tired. Although Duke probably shoots better in that case too.

I generally agree our shot selection wasn’t the issue. But Cam took some wild shots he couldn’t make, as usual.

Why was Boopie a ghost in the 2nd half? I know he was off, but had a few good assists early in the half and wasn’t near as terribad as Cam. He’s also, you know, our only PG.

Forbes' limitations and ceiling are pretty evident by now. Coaching For Content is fun and all, especially compared to the last two regimes, but it would be nice to win some games we need to win. This is the most talented team we've had since Dino. Obviously Forbes gets credit for identifying that talent and bringing it in. But if he can't even make the tournament with this team, then he should be let go after this season. What is the point of talent if it can't win when it needs to?

Why was Boopie a ghost in the 2nd half? I know he was off, but had a few good assists early in the half and wasn’t near as terribad as Cam. He’s also, you know, our only PG.
Yeah I definitely wanted Pfred in but I thought boopie for cam was the move there.

i would argue boopie is just a small shooting guard. we were much better on offense with sallis leading the offense, and hildreth is usually much better defensively and rebounding.

sallis clearly isn’t a pg either, but he’s who we want with the ball in his hands if our offensive sets aren’t working well.

more broadly, i would say lack of pg play (and general playmaking awareness and offensive connectivity) is our biggest flaw along with lack of big man depth.

our assist rate in conference play is 2nd worst (314th in the country overall), even though we are a good 3 point shooting team (3 pointers are disproportionately more likely to be assisted).

i’m guessing this would lead to struggling against bigger teams, where theoretically bigger teams might not do as well with rotations, close outs and generally scrambling on defense which is something we struggle to force since our players, especially wing guys, are so drawn to getting shots up.

Yeah I definitely wanted Pfred in but I thought boopie for cam was the move there.
Even when he's playing at his worst Cam is at least a high-energy and physical defender, usually on the other team's best guard. When Boopie is playing poorly, I'm not really sure what he contributes. Particularly considering we were getting shredded on the defensive end in the second half, I don't think you can have Cam on the bench and have Boopie and Parker out there together.

Granted, the problem wasn't the Duke guards so much as it was that we had absolutely nobody to guard Mark Mitchell once Carr had to shift to the 5. Monsanto trying to do it was pretty terrible, although he clearly was doing the best he could given his current limitations.

Even when he's playing at his worst Cam is at least a high-energy and physical defender, usually on the other team's best guard. When Boopie is playing poorly, I'm not really sure what he contributes. Particularly considering we were getting shredded on the defensive end in the second half, I don't think you can have Cam on the bench and have Boopie and Parker out there together.

Granted, the problem wasn't the Duke guards so much as it was that we had absolutely nobody to guard Mark Mitchell once Carr had to shift to the 5. Monsanto trying to do it was pretty terrible, although he clearly was doing the best he could given his current limitations.
Great point about Monsanto and Mitchell. If we want to beat them in Winston, Carr and Reid cannot get into foul trouble so early

I don't want to think much more about that game, but the biggest takeaway to me is that I'm pretty sure we would have killed them if Efton had played 30 minutes instead of 15. Filipowski straight up couldn't guard Efton, and our defense was a million times better with Efton in the game.

Avoid the foul trouble and I feel pretty good that we can beat Duke in Winston.

Back