• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I'm a year under 40 so don't know the exact context of what happened after winter break, so what's the recap?
We were undefeated before losing a close game to UNC, which kicked off a rough stretch (including a bad loss at GT). Season ended with Buterlization at the NCAA tournament.

Forbes and co cannot and will not win the big games. We’ll beat up on teams middle of the pack and lower but when it comes down to getting that signature win, we won’t get it. Hell even Manning strung together a first 4 appearance
Manning didn’t do shit! JC put the team on his back for that elusive play in game.

When’s the last time we won on the road as underdogs? @VT in Dec 2021?

Forbes' limitations and ceiling are pretty evident by now. Coaching For Content is fun and all, especially compared to the last two regimes, but it would be nice to win some games we need to win. This is the most talented team we've had since Dino. Obviously Forbes gets credit for identifying that talent and bringing it in. But if he can't even make the tournament with this team, then he should be let go after this season. What is the point of talent if it can't win when it needs to?
Point still stands. Time to start looking for someone else.

Forbes gets next year for sure. Most of the team returns, if not all…maybe not Sallis. We really want to retain our young core and see what happens with a full, fucking healthy, roster.

He needs to bring in a couple bruisers and cut the dead weight. We do not do well against physical teams.
Agreed, we have lacked depth in the post for years. Not having a legitimate backup capable of putting up 6 and 4 off the bench has been brutal. Need some nasty in the frontcourt.

He needs to bring in a couple bruisers and cut the dead weight. We do not do well against physical teams.
Where is Rafael Vidaurreta? Just looked at his stats and nothing stands out as spectacular but sure recall him being a big part of some big Deacon wins during his 4 years. One of my favs.

i don’t totally get the takes about how this team is super talented and underachieving. i don’t see it. sallis is the only guy on the roster who looks like an nba player, but more than that we just don’t have a point guard.

i think that’s what happens when you rely so much on the transfer portal, it’s hard to put together a cohesive team because there’s just not a big pool to choose from.

this year we don’t have a point guard

last year, we didn’t have a competent big man

two years ago, we didn’t have anyone who could rebound and barely anyone who could dribble.

every team has strengths and weaknesses, but our teams have such gigantic gaps talent-wise.

easier said than done, but we really need better high school recruiting so transfers can be a supplement not the foundation for our teams.

Last edited:
i don’t totally get the takes about how this team is super talented and underachieving. i don’t see it. sallis is the only guy on the roster who looks like an nba player, but more than that we just don’t have a point guard.

i think that’s what happens when you rely so much on the transfer portal, it’s hard to put together a cohesive team because there’s just not a big pool to choose from.

this year we don’t have a point guard

last year, we didn’t have a competent big man

two years ago, we didn’t have anyone who could rebound and barely anyone who could dribble.

every team has strengths and weaknesses, but our teams have such gigantic gaps talent-wise.

easier said than done, but we really need better high school recruiting so transfers can be a supplement not the foundation for our teams.

We are 3rd in the ACC in scoring, the only team with 2 players in the top12 in scoring and the only team with 4 players averaging 10+ points a game. Efton is also the 7th best rebounder in the league.

We do have some weaknesses but we do not lack talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is Rafael Vidaurreta? Just looked at his stats and nothing stands out as spectacular but sure recall him being a big part of some big Deacon wins during his 4 years. One of my favs.

Part of the 3 headed monster IIRC-- Songaila, Shoemaker, and Vidaurreta. All those guys were like 6'9" and broadshouldered.

Agreed, our post game is still poor. Outside of Carr, Reid is the only one with a post game and he is unpolished and needs work. We need someone that has a post move or two…Reid only has his mediocre hook. Rebounding for fucks sake also!

A lot of talk credibleness but need quantitative numbers. Scale of 1 to 10 (10 = as credible as credible gets), what is Forbes?

Back