• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I get folks are mad at Forbes, and it isn’t just this game. I agree he could’ve done something better but at the end of the day how does he stop Boopie from constantly falling down, Reid picking up 3 fouls in 3 minutes, Sallis dribbling off his foot, and Boopie missing the front end of the 1 and 1? Sometimes college players are just dumb

I get folks are mad at Forbes, and it isn’t just this game. I agree he could’ve done something better but at the end of the day how does he stop Boopie from constantly falling down, Reid picking up 3 fouls in 3 minutes, Sallis dribbling off his foot, and Boopie missing the front end of the 1 and 1? Sometimes college players are just dumb

sorry, but Forbes should have used the code: Down, Down, Up, Up, 2, Right.

Forbes is burning up a lot of goodwill this season. And once you do that as a coach-- once people get on your bad side-- it's very difficult to get them back.

That said, he's going nowhere for at least another season, but if serious changes aren't made to this team's mental makeup, it'll be a repeat next season. Depth is only part of the issue.

Forbes is burning up a lot of goodwill this season. And once you do that as a coach-- once people get on your bad side-- it's very difficult to get them back.

That said, he's going nowhere for at least another season, but if serious changes aren't made to this team's mental makeup, it'll be a repeat next season. Depth is only part of the issue.
I don’t think Forbes is burning up any goodwill outside of this board

Forbes is here for the foreseeable future, and I like Forbes in the new style of college basketball. He is a proven winner when it comes to the transfer portal, but not 100% success rate. PGs have been thin for most of his time here. i get the injury issue, but still needs to be addressed. he only played 8 last night...5 guys with 30-39 minutes, yes Boopie had 39 and Sallis 38 minutes. anyone that doesn't think fatigue plays a part is fooling themselves.

I said it in the game thread, but Forbes should be forced to hire an in-game tactician type assistant. I honestly don’t know how he allows this stuff to happen and snowball. Timeout usage often leaves much to be desired as well.

We also need to either find or appoint an “alpha dog” on the court to take over a team and will them to win when things aren’t going well and the coach isn’t doing shit. Who was the last one of those we’ve had at any position? Ish? Sallis could be that guy, but it doesn’t seem like his personality.
There needs to be some adjustment made. The road/home splits are bizarre. Having a more experienced top assistant would be worth considering, or at least someone who thrives in game situations.

We aren't going to beat VT away. So I think we probably end up 11-seedish with wins against GT and Clemson.

But the biggest issue is - I have 0 confidence we will do anything away from the Joel. And not sure why anyone would even if we get into the tournament.

Forbes’ issues at wake have been a lack of discipline regarding valuing the ball and lack of defensive adjustments.

We should have blown many of these teams out in first halves but we let them hang around, mostly due to inexplicably careless turnovers and failure to just hammer mismatches we have.

Then in second halves, opposing coaches tend to figure out something that works and go to the same thing relentlessly. Forbes rarely adjusts.

Last year the state game when burns was given the ball to back down marsh over and over is the most egregious example.

But even against Duke on Saturday, flip hit the one three over Boopie with under a minute to cut it to 2. Duke was then running the exact same play. Flip fumbled it but it was just a bad pass. He was about to get the same exact shot, with Boopie defending him. It would have been to win.

Last night in second half notre dame ran mostly the same curl screen route (probably a moving screen but wasn't getting called), and Cam got beat by it repeatedly. just adjust to bring a quick double to prevent that play and ND reverts back to the terrible offense it has had all season.

This is why we so often give up career highs. Just no adjustments. We don't have ultra-elite talent at every position relative to almost any of our opponents. Opposing coaches do a great job of exploiting any mismatch, and we fail to adjust. Meanwhile we don't have the discipline on offense to repeatedly protect the ball and exploit the same type of mismatches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought for sure we had turned a corner and would easily win last night. I'm going to hold off on further predictions this season. Can't be jinxed anymore if I don't say anything one way or the other.

Very extreme. Just had our best win in a while. Still probably going to make the tournament. Calm down a little, let's see what happens the next three weeks.

There needs to be some adjustment made. The road/home splits are bizarre. Having a more experienced top assistant would be worth considering, or at least someone who thrives in game situations.

We aren't going to beat VT away. So I think we probably end up 11-seedish with wins against GT and Clemson.

But the biggest issue is - I have 0 confidence we will do anything away from the Joel. And not sure why anyone would even if we get into the tournament.
March is a very strange month. I’d love to get in the tournament because you never know what could happen. Are you saying you’d rather miss the tournament and instead play in the NIT because the games are at home?

As I said before on this thread, Coaching For Content isn't going to get us anywhere. I would hope he can salvage some wins over the next few weeks. But seeding matters more than content. If we do get in, which hopefully we do, our seed is going to suck ass. We can't win away from the Joel against bad teams, we'll get worked (again) by whoever we get matched up with. But at the end of the day, he is not a good game coach. He either has to give someone else the reigns during games, or we need to move on barring a significant improvement.

As I said before on this thread, Coaching For Content isn't going to get us anywhere. I would hope he can salvage some wins over the next few weeks. But seeding matters more than content. If we do get in, which hopefully we do, our seed is going to suck ass. We can't win away from the Joel against bad teams, we'll get worked (again) by whoever we get matched up with. But at the end of the day, he is not a good game coach. He either has to give someone else the reigns during games, or we need to move on barring a significant improvement.
I'll play along.

Who, pray tell, would you think that we could get as a better in game coach if John Currie played along with this idiotic line of thinking and released Steve Forbes after this season?

Oh god, you just wanted to make the NCAAT, now you're crowing about the seeds. Get the fuck out of here man.
Yeah folks on here went from “I just want to make the tournament” to “I judge our coaches on national championships and if we don’t win it, fuck it I don’t even wanna go”. Like what?? They went from Forbes needs a tournament appearance by year 5 to he needs a national championship by year 5.

Oh god, you just wanted to make the NCAAT, now you're crowing about the seeds. Get the fuck out of here man.
I would be happy making the NCAAT, yes. Is that going to happen? It doesn't look like it, we'll see.

ETA: The committee loves leaving out teams that some people think should make it, as it just hypes up more discussion the week leading up to the games. Who better for them to leave out than a P5 team who is already in the (biased) news and who can't win away from home? We are the easy out for them this year.

Very extreme. Just had our best win in a while. Still probably going to make the tournament. Calm down a little, let's see what happens the next three weeks.

I'm not calling for his head, but there are issues which are obvious and have carried over each season. Part of that is certain personnel who have carried over each season.

We are going to lose at VT and drop our first ACCT game. You can pretty much guarantee that. We will be sitting at home as a result and deservedly so. Even if we win an ACCT game against some scrub, it's not going to move the needle much, other than deprive us of another bad loss.

12 loss teams sit at home unless they're in a top tier conference, which we are not.

Here's the score differentials by half in our 6 road ACC losses:

FSU 1st half -1 2nd half -4
NCSU +10 -17
UNC +1 -22
PITT +10 -15
UVA +1 -3
ND +5 -10

So cummulative we outscored our opponents by 26 points in the first half of those games (avg. of 4 pts.) and were outscored in the 2nd by 71 (avg. of 12).

Back