• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I get Reid not rebounding on free throws. I don’t get it when he has 0 fouls at the 10 minute mark of the 2nd half.

I’m finally getting there on the “Forbes can’t get it done” bandwagon. This week has been an abomination. He’s completely incapable of both motivating this team and in game coaching.
I am not quite there, because I want him to grab a few forwards in the portal to replace Canka, Monsanto and probably Carr and Clark.

The 3 guard lineup isn't working on the road.

Soft.

Calling it now: we lose to GT. We’re the first team left out of the tournament. Sallis goes pro, Carr and Parker inexplicably transfer. Damari goes to UNC, is fully healthy, and lights it up

He really has. This has been a horrible coaching job this season. This team could be contending for the regular season title

Given his wife's situation, I'm willing to give this one more year. I'm sure he had distractions going into the season and perhaps has lost focus because he focused on his wife. And I TOTALLY get this.

But he's also paid MILLIONS to win basketball games. If this continues next year, things need to change. Unfortunately.

Given his wife's situation, I'm willing to give this one more year. I'm sure he had distractions going into the season and perhaps has lost focus because he focused on his wife. And I TOTALLY get this.

But he's also paid MILLIONS to win basketball games. If this continues next year, things need to change. Unfortunately.
Don’t think we’ll have this much talent next year. We’ve whiffed on Alondes and Hunter’s seasons. Next will be another Appleby one

This is how I feel.

Last edited:
I am not quite there, because I want him to grab a few forwards in the portal to replace Canka, Monsanto and probably Carr and Clark.

The 3 guard lineup isn't working on the road.

Soft.
I want this too. I’m just starting to feel hopeless. Not there yet though.

Here's the score differentials by half in our 6 road ACC losses:

FSU 1st half -1 2nd half -4
NCSU +10 -17
UNC +1 -22
PITT +10 -15
UVA +1 -3
ND +5 -10

So cummulative we outscored our opponents by 26 points in the first half of those games (avg. of 4 pts.) and were outscored in the 2nd by 71 (avg. of 12).
Update:
VT. +9 -20

It would seem like Forbes's problem as a coach is that he does not know how to coach. Great guy, assembled a really talented team, not sure how to coach. Oh well. Usually better to rip that band aid off, but I expect we will linger like this for a few more years, to inflict maximum pain.
Higher floor than last 2 coaches, but his ceiling is limited.

Forbes gets another year and deservedly so given the state the program was in following the last 2 idiots. However, it has become very clear he has hit his ceiling. Almost all of our road games (except UNC and Duke) were there for the taking. This team lacks the discipline and structure to win on the road. That is 100% on Forbes. The problem has been there with every Forbes team…the talent level is just better this year which makes it even more frustrating.

NCAA or bust next year. No excuses. Forbes should be fired as soon as we are eliminated from consideration.

This team should have finished no worse than 3rd in the ACC and should be an NCAA lock.

i totally disagree with the idea that we have some sort of super talented team. i think not putting together good team rosters has been the biggest issue we’ve faced.

specifically, this team has almost no depth, no point guard, guys who are decent players but get overmatched against better talent (boopie, hildreth, carr — i would argue sallis* too). solid players but not a talented or cohesive group.

*the reason sallis is only an okay nba prospect is (at least in my evaluation) he projects as a role player / 3 & d guy.

without better hs recruiting, almost feels like this is what is possible.

Last edited:
Forbes gets another year and deservedly so given the state the program was in following the last 2 idiots. However, it has become very clear he has hit his ceiling. Almost all of our road games (except UNC and Duke) were there for the taking. This team lacks the discipline and structure to win on the road. That is 100% on Forbes. The problem has been there with every Forbes team…the talent level is just better this year which makes it even more frustrating.

NCAA or bust next year. No excuses. Forbes should be fired as soon as we are eliminated from consideration.

This team should have finished no worse than 3rd in the ACC and should be an NCAA lock.
Not busting on you 87, but I think your comment that almost all of our road games “except UNC and Duke were there for the taking” is symptomatic of Wake athletics in general over the last 50 years of my fandom. We were down by 2 vs. Duke and up by 1 vs. UNC at the halves of those games, so why weren’t they “there for the taking”? Is it b/c we’re willing to “accept” that we’re supposed to fade in the 2nd half vs. those and similar teams b/c we’re, you know, “LOWF”? I don’t know how Randolph Childress sat on the bench as a coach and watched our weak competitive mentality, b/c as a player he would have looked at our road games vs. Duke and UNC at the half this year as “ having them exactly where we want them”.

Back