• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

If you think Forbes isn’t doing more with less, you have no idea what you are watching or know much about the game. The way the current sophomores have improved along with the eye for talent Forbes has in the portal, shows he has what it takes for us to be at the top. He turned AW and Appleby into all-ACC players when they had average seasons at their other stops.They thrive in his system. The offense sets are great to watch. Watching guards come off middle ball screens and make the right decision or the double screen action for the guards in 5 out to get dribble penetration or a kick 3 to Monsanto or Williamson. He’s doing all the right things! I love watch his teams because of the effort and energy they bring! Just wait till he gets some big time recruits! It’s gonna be really fun in Winston for the foreseeable future under Forbes. Just hope when we do get to the top of the mountain, we can hang on to him forever!
Forbes is doing a great job since last summer we thought we would probably have:

Ituka was named a captain for a reason.
Healthy Williamson, even better than last season.
Taylor available if needed, and improved.
McCray available if needed, and improved.

And instead we have 2 healthy scholarship guards on the roster. This part is incredible to me.

While I’m a bit disappointed in our HS recruiting and some of the X and O stuff, and wish we could do more to take advantage of this relative down period in the ACC, I honestly think Forbes is the best coach we could reasonably get at this point in time, and that if we were to lose him for any reason we would be worse off for it.

While I’m a bit disappointed in our HS recruiting and some of the X and O stuff, and wish we could do more to take advantage of this relative down period in the ACC, I honestly think Forbes is the best coach we could reasonably get at this point in time, and that if we were to lose him for any reason we would be worse off for it.
It's relatively unreasonable to be critical of high school recruiting when we're offering $0.00 and other schools are offering significantly more than $0.00. Yes, other schools have found more hidden gems like Pedulla at Virginia Tech, but I think Bobi is that type of hidden gem for us and will be a very good ACC player over the next couple years. I think we have a really good chance at landing Juke Harris despite him being a guy some schools will be willing to throw some significant cash at, and if we pull that off it would be pretty incredible from the staff.

^ why do people disagree with that take lol. We have been told by Wake insiders, national recruiting writers, and Forbes himself that we missed on our top 3 targets last cycle because schools swope in with cash "NIL" offers at the last minute. Can't blame the staff for kids making a decision we'd all make at that age in taking the money. Unfortunate reality, but reality, nonetheless. It's one of the main reasons we're pouring more resources into Euro recruiting. International players legally can't take payments which levels the playing field for us in those recruitments. Very smart workaround from our staff imo.

• Dislike
Reactions: WRS
I can agree with just about all of this. Also it’s okay to think Forbes is a good coach and also be disappointed when we play like absolute shit against awful teams like GT.

This team has a disturbing tendency to play down to their competition. Not just entire games like gt but also for extended times during games. It's cost several winnable games and forced late game comebacks.

For me all the other complaints are just noise. This is the corner that needs to be turned.

I can agree with just about all of this. Also it’s okay to think Forbes is a good coach and also be disappointed when we play like absolute shit against awful teams like GT.
Laying eggs isn't unique to Forbes or Wake, but it's a frustrating trend for sure. The biggest issue coaching wise this year for me is us allowing teams to claw back into games late in the second half. I understand that we're asking our PG to play hard for 40 minutes every game and have a short bench and that leads to fatigue down the stretch, but I really would like to see us slam the door in games like LSU, LMU, UNC, etc. where we had nice leads and either blew them entirely or let a team make it close.

Coach Savage doing the ACC media thing today and the show with Stan tonight while Forbes it out recruiting (trying to close on Friedrichsen?). Interested to hear him talk.

This team has a disturbing tendency to play down to their competition. Not just entire games like gt but also for extended times during games. It's cost several winnable games and forced late game comebacks.

For me all the other complaints are just noise. This is the corner that needs to be turned.

agreed

but the counter is that forbes also has the tendency to win a big game to pull you back in

agreed

but the counter is that forbes also has the tendency to win a big game to pull you back in
Not all that different imo. I just don't think he's pushed the right buttons just yet to have that high quality consistency. He's trying and those occasional comebacks and wins, to me, show me he's capable.

I do think he'll get there.

Forbes's motto is "recruit offense coach defense" He has not coached ANY defense this season!

Our defense is awful. Some guys are good at it and some aren’t. Coaching is part if it. Being physically capable of playing defense in a power league is part of it.

Our defense is awful. Some guys are good at it and some aren’t. Coaching is part if it. Being physically capable of playing defense in a power league is part of it.

For all the talk about improving S&C over the summer, this team is physically outmatched by every opponent.

For all the talk about improving S&C over the summer, this team is physically outmatched by every opponent.
Which guys playing a lot for Wake have two or more years with Wake's S & C?
Hildreth.
Williamson
Appleby nope
Carr nope
Marsh nope. Injured
Bradford nope
Monsanto? Not really injury
Klintman nope

Forbes wasn’t saying they needed another year.

Important to remember that the 2005 team that was ranked #1 in the country at one point didn’t play a lick of defense, either. When you play small guards, you are going to struggle to defend. Period. We have small guards. Until that gets fixed (and in time I think it will), this is what we are. We have zero depth and too many little guys. There is no scheme in the world that can cover for that.

Which guys playing a lot for Wake have two or more years with Wake's S & C?
Hildreth.
Williamson
Appleby nope
Carr nope
Marsh nope. Injured
Bradford nope
Monsanto? Not really injury
Klintman nope
Yeah. Not arguing with that, but these guys can’t hope to match up with bigger dudes. Also. It’s not like these guys are 18 years old and just graduated from high school. They just have small frames and don’t add enough muscle or they need yet another year in the weight room.

Do you think Monsanto’s frame is NBA-ready ? NC State’s players just look different than oilers.

I disagree. In the ACC, only Clemson and State physically outmatched us.

Back