• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I believe I saw where Roy Williams said that he didn't enjoy sitting in a recruit's living room with the recruit, parents, and the agent and having much of the conversation be with the agent.

Roy wasn't able to coach kids like he used to. He lost them. They were not listening to him. They could not relate to each other. UNC was floundering for the talent they had.

I loved Jay Wright too and a lot of non-Wake fans probably appreciated Roy Williams. It's sad to see the current state of affairs drive away coaching legends. The longer this free for all sticks around the more we'll see shady figures in coaching and the less we'll see high class coaches that care about their players like Brey, Wright, and Williams. Reason #5894958947 why "NIL" in its current state of complete deregulation is actually bad for players.
The prospect of having to coach Caleb Love for 3 more years retired Roy Williams.

Old men yell at clouds. I know I'm starting to.
I feel you. I'm 45 and the way I teach our students is different than it was just 5 years ago. And I've been at the School of Medicine for almost 23 years. Some of it is COVID related. Some of it is simply getting older and navigating through that process.

This may be blasphemous, but I've always liked Roy, and I can understand why that would be quite different from what he's used to/downright annoying. It's part of it now, so it is what it is, but it's a far cry from trying to sell a kid and his parents on the school.

Counterpoint: it's North Carolina, so he's shooting fish in a barrel to get them to Chapel Hill.

After all that, Wake is 1.5 games out of a double bye with two games left against two teams ahead of us in the standings. Miami has tough games at UNC and at VT. State has a tough games vs. UNC, Clemson, and at Duke.

Pretending the program is not in the best hands possible is stupid.
Staff is putting in work. They are about to put the high school recruiting nonsense to rest here soon as I think they land both Juke and the ND de-commit.
Currently the ACC is putting their teams in a difficult situation where winning conference games are viewed as meaningless. Conference play is always going to be difficult whether or not the league is praised by outsiders.

Yeah the conference grind is real and State had difficulty with this Tech team as well. That said....Tech is now 0-9 on the road, is one of the worst P5 schools out there, and has a 1 point loss to ND (who is also god awful), an 8 point loss to State, and now a 1 point loss to Wake. The rest are double digit losses. Just win baby, but damn.

This may be blasphemous, but I've always liked Roy, and I can understand why that would be quite different from what he's used to/downright annoying. It's part of it now, so it is what it is, but it's a far cry from trying to sell a kid and his parents on the school.

Counterpoint: it's North Carolina, so he's shooting fish in a barrel to get them to Chapel Hill.
If mods don't immediately institute and permaban then there is no justice.

After all that, Wake is 1.5 games out of a double bye with two games left against two teams ahead of us in the standings. Miami has tough games at UNC and at VT. State has a tough games vs. UNC, Clemson, and at Duke.
After losing almost all of the scoring from last years team, and the best returning player getting injured and being a shell of himself.

That's aight i'd say.

A loss would have ended any hope of at-large NCAA bid and one of the worst since Forbes came. Thankfully we won. If we want to have a shot we better not play like again this season.

Back