• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

i believe judging Forbes on the last 3 years is unfair. A global pandemic + the most monumental change to college athletics ever + the train wreck left by [Redacted] and Manning. I feel that it is all about timing right now. Jake leaving early. Walton not coming back (Walton on this team = dangerous NCAA team), Ituka injury. Carr injury. Monsanto injury. i am very excited about bobi, and the freshman we have coming in. Carr, Bradford, Marsh, and hildreth all have flaws but they are serviceable players who have been asked to do too much. I think Taylor can be a player. Jury still out on Ituka.

We just need the pieces to fit together at the same time. honestly do not think Forbes is the problem AT ALL except I would like him to recruit some defensive players.
I understand the circumstances but I’m really struggling with how you don’t think there is ANY issue with Forbes as a coach. Heck last night’s loss pales in comparison to the BC game last year. LMU. LSU. It’s definitely a concerning pattern to me.

Against Forbes, Keatts (4-2), Brownell (3-1), Capel (2-2), Grant (2-2), Pastner (2-2), Boeheim (1-1) are all at least .500.

Some of these coaches often get dumped on here, and they are certainly not in the Larranaga/Bennett/Coach K/Roy Williams level, all of whom WF have a losing record against in the Forbes era.

Forbes has a winning record against Brey (3-1), Hamilton (3-1), Davis (2-1), Young (2-0), Payne (1-0).

Make of that what you will, sample size and all. ACC has not been a strong conference in this entire span.

Next year is a rebuilding year. That’s fine in itself. The problem is not making the tournament this year and last year.

I worry about Ituka and the guys coming in are hyped yes and could be great, but still a huge unproven question mark as college freshmen.
Yeah I think people are hugely overestimating what we can expect from next year’s freshman class. I’m excited that we are bringing in HS guys that we can build the program around (hopefully) but they are still fringe top 100 players. Not expecting a significant contribution from any of them unless one way outplays his ranking. Bobi is a good example of a where I think they are likely to be year 1.

I said it before, but he gets next year. If he doesn't make the tourney (and, if I had my druthers, show a path that involves the development of players over time) then he needs to go.
So DeaconSig and BirdinBama are cutting the check to buyout Forbes' contract after next season (assuming he doesn't make the tourney) and willing to cut another check to pay market rates for a proven head coach and staff?

Who else is chipping in on this? Or is it time for another ogboards.com fundraiser?

No. This is much more likely to be a flash in the pan than any type of sustained program building. And really the ACC is very mediocre this year despite how hard the announcers tried to convince me otherwise last night.
based on . . . ?

truly asking why its much more likely a flash in the pan.

Forbes put the roster together. He put last year's roster together. He is not and was not hamstrung by players leftover from Coach Manning.

This particular year, the injuries to Ituka, Carr, and Monsanto obviously had a major impact. That being said, the impact took the team from a ceiling of maybe a 9 seed in the tourney to missing the NIT. Its not like this team was going to be "good," as in a top 25 team, on its best day. The lack of playable centers made that certain.

I said it before, but he gets next year. If he doesn't make the tourney (and, if I had my druthers, show a path that involves the development of players over time) then he needs to go.

I have no idea what Currie will do, but that is my vote.
I’m sorry, but saying he was not hamstrung by players from the Manning era is silly even if you’re just isolating last year’s roster. He burned it to the ground and started over in year two. That’s a hard thing to do.

based on . . . ?

truly asking why its much more likely a flash in the pan.
This is his 6th season at State. He made the tournament once in year 1. Had one other team ranked prior to this year. Total conference record 55-58. Not totally guaranteed to be in the tournament this year despite a lot of talk about how good they have been. Good fortune in the transfer portal with Burns and Joiner who will both be gone along with Smith most likely (possible addition by subtraction there). There’s simply nothing to suggest that he’s going to build a consistent winning program with regular tournament appearances there. If that’s where we are with Forbes after year 6 then I would want to move on from him. And State was in much better shape (obviously) when Keatts took over.

Edit: Just looked and maybe Burns could have another year. Not really going to bother digging into it. Either way that’s the summary on Keatts.

I can imagine all the coaches lining up to work for a guy that shit cans Steve fucking Forbes two years after a pandemic blew everything up and while NIL money is ramping up causing all sorts if upheaval.

As fans we got sucked in to a breath of fresh air and that really ramped up expectations of some of y'all to amazing heights. Stop being cry babies.

I agree that Forbes gets a pass in terms of roster development, due to the mess he walked into right as the landscape of college basketball was changing. Players do seem to like coming to play for him.

But he coaches this particular team in practice every day. Never mind ten years ago, or what he walked into, or whatever. He should still be coaching these particular guys up so that they improve over the course of the season.

No coach gets a pass on that aspect of coaching. If they’re good, ought to be able to take a basketball team at any level and make major improvements in their play from the beginning of a season to the end, even if it’s his only year with them.

So that fundamentals and in-game stuff is what I want to see get firmly established in our program.
This is spot on. Feels like some fundamentals, in game stuff, and a little more discipline has us dancing last year and maybe even this year. I can think of at least four games lost this year due to mediocre coaching

I can imagine all the coaches lining up to work for a guy that shit cans Steve fucking Forbes two years after a pandemic blew everything up and while NIL money is ramping up causing all sorts if upheaval.

As fans we got sucked in to a breath of fresh air and that really ramped up expectations of some of y'all to amazing heights. Stop being cry babies.
Is Forbes a step up from the last two? Absolutely!

But let's not kid ourselves, the ACC is worse now than when the last two were coaching and it looks like shades of the same patterns are there i.e. lack of defense ect.

Forbes has got the personality to bring in kids that was lacking before..... Yet to be seen if he can coach to sustained success at this level.

So DeaconSig and BirdinBama are cutting the check to buyout Forbes' contract after next season (assuming he doesn't make the tourney) and willing to cut another check to pay market rates for a proven head coach and staff?

Who else is chipping in on this? Or is it time for another ogboards.com fundraiser?
Brad is a grumpy little boy.

I notice you left out the next sentence, where I stated I have no idea what Currie is going to do. After all, it is his decision to make. But who needs reality when you can argue against your own made-up position?

Our defense was fine last year. I think it is a talent and roster construction issue this year.

In essense he is closing year two and we are goiing to finish .500 or better in the ACC both years after being in the cellar for well over a decade.

The idea that he is anywhere close to a "hot seat" is funny.

How well do you think the John Collins team would have done in this ACC? They finished .500 but would have most likely been top 1 or 2

Yeah, let's put the reigning ACC COY on the hot seat because some of you are inpatient and see who is lining up to take that job... Hilariously dumb
Obviously things can change quickly these days with NIL. But, relationships with HS kids take time. And no players want to play for a shit team. Thus, HS recruiting takes time to establish. He has very clearly made in roads there. Development of HS players is our way forward. We need a core of guys like Marsh, Bobbi, Cam, etc that stay and grow with us. Portal can be used to supplement needs here or there but isn't the long term solution. Some of ya'll act like we haven't improved A LOT in his three years.

Am I happy with where we are? Nope. But damn. What do you think a tear down and rebuild looks like?

Brad is a grumpy little boy.

I notice you left out the next sentence, where I stated I have no idea what Currie is going to do. After all, it is his decision to make. But who needs reality when you can argue against your own made-up position?
LOL - I'm allegedly the grumpy one yet you are calling for the coach's head after next season if he doesn't make the NCAA's? Project much??

Good stuff and par for the course from the same guru who once claimed Dave Clawson would suck at Wake.

Of course it's Currie's call to make. That was never in question. The question was who is going to pay for it.

But one thing we can agree on is the proceeds from the $287 ogboards.com fundraiser coupled with you and BirdinBama's $0 donations ain't going to cut it.

Yeah, let's put the reigning ACC COY on the hot seat because some of you are inpatient and see who is lining up to take that job... Hilariously dumb
Obviously things can change quickly these days with NIL. But, relationships with HS kids take time. And no players want to play for a shit team. Thus, HS recruiting takes time to establish. He has very clearly made in roads there. Development of HS players is our way forward. We need a core of guys like Marsh, Bobbi, Cam, etc that stay and grow with us. Portal can be used to supplement needs here or there but isn't the long term solution. Some of ya'll act like we haven't improved A LOT in his three years.

Am I happy with where we are? Nope. But damn. What do you think a tear down and rebuild looks like?
Ah, the life of a coach. You lose LaRavia a year early, Monsanto for a bit as he deals with the tragedy of his sister and then just when he's back and crushing he goes down for the final push, you lose Ituka for the year, Carr has to play the stretch run at 50% with a wrist injury... AND you lose 6 games by 2 points.

And after an ACC COY award all that happens and fans blame coaching even though we might win 20 games.

Good thing the gig pays well!

Back