• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

If he hangs on to the ball and dribbles around he runs another 20 seconds off the clock, we get the same 7 point lead, and the game is essentially over. It was a horrible, indefensible basketball decision. Even Forbes admitted as such.
I may need to get a shower after saying this- but I completely agree with you

High risk high reward man. Would’ve given us a 7 point lead and absolutely brought the house down
I mean I do like being aggressive. But this wasn't 4 minutes go with a big lead. there are points to just milk the clock and win at the line. A lob with under a minute to go isn't aggressive- it's dumb.

I think a lot of the folks who are not incredibly pro-Forbes want him to rein in his players more. Those of us who are more pro-Forbes see this as a feature, not a flaw.

Check out how he responds to a question about Hunter Sallis and why he's so good. I've set the video to start with the question, but pay attention to what he says about confidence and having the player not look over at the bench after a shot.

This is why we get great results from transfers. This is why his players play hard for him. This is also why they occasionally do things that drive fans crazy and makes them say he should sit a player down after a mistake. But he's not going to do it. That's just not who he is or ever will be. His defining characteristic as a coach is that he wants his players to play with confidence and not be worried about making mistakes.

I mean I do like being aggressive. But this wasn't 4 minutes go with a big lead. there are points to just milk the clock and win at the line. A lob with under a minute to go isn't aggressive- it's dumb.

Definitely not the best thing to do, but he was trying to blow the roof off!

I think a lot of the folks who are not incredibly pro-Forbes want him to rein in his players more. Those of us who are more pro-Forbes see this as a feature, not a flaw.

Check out how he responds to a question about Hunter Sallis and why he's so good. I've set the video to start with the question, but pay attention to what he says about confidence and having the player not look over at the bench after a shot.

This is why we get great results from transfers. This is why his players play hard for him. This is also why they occasionally do things that drive fans crazy and makes them say he should sit a player down after a mistake. But he's not going to do it. That's just not who he is or ever will be. His defining characteristic as a coach is that he wants his players to play with confidence and not be worried about making mistakes.

Yep.

He lets players do this and it works out for us more often than not

Definitely not the best thing to do, but he was trying to blow the roof off!
Yeah, I get it. But it didn't work and Duke subsequently drilled a three. We nearly lost because of it. Instead of a seven point lead with 30 seconds to go, we have a 2 point lead with 40 seconds to go. It's like being in the lead in a football game late and going for it on fourth down. Yeah, it could work and seal the game. But why not punt and pin a team deep? I.e. make them do something extraordinary to win- not make it easier for them.

I love that our guys played hard and that Forbes lets them work. But that leads to the occasional dumb decision. The lob was one of those decisions. But Hunter played flawless basketball. It was unreal to watch

This discussion of Forbes’s playing style, combined with our collection of talent & potential, multiplied by our years of wilderness wandering, are why the ACC Tourney and hopefully March Madness are going to provide some crazy situations no matter what happens.

Buckle up and lock in; ogboards.com is in for a wild ride

I don't have the data points but didn't Forbes allude to the fact that Sallis was somewhat broken in spirit when he came to Wake and was only averaging like 4 pts/game at Gonzaga? I don't think I'm too far off.
The transformation and confidence he instilled in that kid is phenomenal. Like night and day it appears. If Forbes becomes known as the "portal whisperer", I see more good things in this NIL world of sports.

If you watch that video of Forbes and still say he doesn’t know what you are doing, I don’t know what to tell you. I think he is going to win and win big here. He is a good coach and an even better person who knows how to teach, relate to people, develop them and win. I am really grateful that he came here and look for are to the rest of this season.

Yeah, I get it. But it didn't work and Duke subsequently drilled a three. We nearly lost because of it. Instead of a seven point lead with 30 seconds to go, we have a 2 point lead with 40 seconds to go. It's like being in the lead in a football game late and going for it on fourth down. Yeah, it could work and seal the game. But why not punt and pin a team deep? I.e. make them do something extraordinary to win- not make it easier for them.

I love that our guys played hard and that Forbes lets them work. But that leads to the occasional dumb decision. The lob was one of those decisions. But Hunter played flawless basketball. It was unreal to watch
The one time Grobe fought that instinct we won the ACC Atlantic at Maryland. Sometimes you gotta have that dog and finish them.

I want him to recruit better HS players and sometimes would like to see him get us in better offensive sets. I have no issues with the player freedom. I just don’t think he’s a great HS recruiter
I get it. But current players on the roster Forbes recruited from high school-->
  • Cam
  • Parker
  • Damari
  • Marion (ytbd his usefullness)
  • Bobbi (good enough to bolt for the pros)

I get that it's not a Duke roster of guys. But sprinkle in long term transfers like Carr, Boopie, Efton and it's a pretty damn good roster. We just need more depth. I think we're working towards long term success- not just flash in the pan years with a few one year grad transfers

The idiotic ally oop attempt nearly cost us the game. Stop with the hero ball. Time and situation!

Back