• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

I really like Coach Forbes and continue to root for him. I like most of the players he brings in and I think they represent Wake well. I can't imagine how challenging this calendar year has been. That said, this past week was pretty bleak on the court and the familiarity of it is starting to feel like a signature more than an aberration.

To be fair Forbes has been good bringing in talent and maximizing. Given the current climate and basically starting a new team every year it’s tough to develop a culture. Most of our best players have come from somewhere else and not been the caliber of player that is talented and mentally tough enough to be what it takes to win on the road in the ACC. I don’t know what the answer is. But we will Probly have a whole different team next year to deal with. It’s like starting over every year.

Substitute. Yank their asses out of the game and put in your other schollie players.
This is Forbes main problem imo.... He lets players just play and never seems to do in game corrections. He said as much on his radio show that he doesn't pull players after turnovers or bad shot selection because he doesn't want them second guessing themselves but as a result we see stretches of sloppy play and poor shot selection that doom us especially in away games where the margin for error is less

There aren’t many scenarios where next year doesn’t start off with :
Boopie, P Fred, Cam, Efton.
I toss in Carr as probable… that’s a great nucleus to add pieces to that help

We have got to recruit some wings that can defend and rebound. P Fred at this moment can not stay infront if the ball. And Efton and Cam are our only rebounders

To be fair Forbes has been good bringing in talent and maximizing. Given the current climate and basically starting a new team every year it’s tough to develop a culture. Most of our best players have come from somewhere else and not been the caliber of player that is talented and mentally tough enough to be what it takes to win on the road in the ACC. I don’t know what the answer is. But we will Probly have a whole different team next year to deal with. It’s like starting over every year.
He's good at hitting the portal but his HS recruiting is disastrous.

We have plenty of guys who can score, who can each from time to time carry the team. We need stoppers on defense. Players who can and will take some hard fouls, if necessary, to slow the other side down. Where is the gritty?

I do think we need some more grit on this team. Cam is probably the closest thing we have to that. We need an athletic forward who can guard the 3 and 4 spots. I think Parker does a decent job for his size on defense and he’s just a freshman with a really high basketball IQ. I think he’s going to be a stud for us.

This is Forbes main problem imo.... He lets players just play and never seems to do in game corrections. He said as much on his radio show that he doesn't pull players after turnovers or bad shot selection because he doesn't want them second guessing themselves but as a result we see stretches of sloppy play and poor shot selection that doom us especially in away games where the margin for error is less
that's okay to do when you have randolph childress out there.....not so much for the majority of players

He's good at hitting the portal but his HS recruiting is disastrous.
1) Is it? His high school recruiting has included top 100s Carter Whitt (#85), Parker Friedrichsen (#93), Juke Harris (#77), and Zach Keller (#94), and top international players Hildreth, Klintman, and Marion.

But more importantly, 2) does high school recruiting matter? I saw this tweet by Bart Torvik the other day, which basically shows that in 2020 there was a correlation between high school recruiting and on-court results, but in 2024 that correlation is gone.

Good to see more of you finally coming around to what was painfully obvious months ago. Apologies accepted, but not necessary. The more people get on the train hopefully the quicker a move is made. I like Forbes as a person, I'm sure everybody does, but we went years too long with the last two buffoons. It is time for a quick move to finally be made for once in our history. With conference upheaval and the general chaos of college sports, we can't afford to let another doomed tenure drag out.

I'm sure tons of quality coaching candidates will be lining up once we fire the guy who has resurrected a program from the ashes after his 3rd straight .500+ league record, having almost lost his wife and dealing with a sick mother in the same season. Would be a really good look for Wake!

Forbes' credibility is certainly far from ELIte, but he's nowhere close to fire-able right now. If we miss the tourney next year, then he likely should be out.

I'm sure tons of quality coaching candidates will be lining up once we fire the guy who has resurrected a program from the ashes after his 3rd straight .500+ league record, having almost lost his wife and dealing with a sick mother in the same season. Would be a really good look for Wake!

Forbes' credibility is certainly far from ELIte, but he's nowhere close to fire-able right now. If we miss the tourney next year, then he likely should be out.
I'd say two more years, otherwise I completely agree with this statement.

Forbes inherited a dumpster fire of a program in the middle of a global pandemic. Within a year we were back to playing winning basketball and got absolutely robbed in not making the tournament. Again, it's not Forbes' fault that the perception of the ACC has plummeted, in part because other conferences (like the SEC) have become much better and in part to other conferences gaming the NET system. In the past, being top 5 in the league was a virtual lock for the tournament. I can't imagine Wake Forest firing a coach after that type of finish.

Don't engage with the stupidest poster we have. He wants your clicks.

I am probably more of a Forbes apologist than many, but the man has been dealt a shit hand this year: (1) Bobi leaves, when everyone anticipated he would come back and be a force at the 3-4 spot; (2) Efton doesn't get the waiver for the first 8 games; (3) Damari was supposed to come back in early fall, has a set-back, doesn't get on the court until mid-January, and is more a less of a shell of his former self; (4) Cam's wrist is fractured at NC State and his offense isn't the same; and (5) Jao suffers another injury and we lose him as a back-up PG, causing our depth to suffer. If any one of the first 4 things doesn't happen, I think we pick up a couple (several?) more wins. (For instance, if Damari returned and was 90 % of the player he was last year, I think we likely pick up an additional victory or two.) This doesn't even consider Forbes' family situation and what that probably meant for his availability and overall mental health.

Back