• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

You must have missed the previous decade when we lost 20 games every year and were the worst program in the league. Getting that team to the precipice of the NCAAT was an enormous step forward. I know we’re all disappointed in how the season just ended and sick of being on the bubble every year now, but no need to scoff at the fact that Forbes has improved the program substantially since he was hired.

You must have missed the previous decade when we lost 20 games every year and were the worst program in the league. Getting that team to the precipice of the NCAAT was an enormous step forward. I know we’re all disappointed in how the season just ended and sick of being on the bubble every year now, but no need to scoff at the fact that Forbes has improved the program substantially since he was hired.
This is fair and irritatingly reasonable, vintage say hey.

But if we don’t make it next year… I mean that’s got to be it.

Last edited:
Pretty much.

Have we become like the 80s Deacs who were so burned by the Staak years that 00s mediocrity was acceptable?

He’s definitely brought energy to the program and is winning more games, hard not to love the guy. Having said that college basketball at this level is all about making the tournament. For most, make it and the season was good, miss it and it’s not a good season. These guys make a lot of money. So my question to you would be do you view making the tournament as a realistic goal for Wake basketball and if so when do you expect that to happen?

St John’s will make the tournament in Pitino’s second season, South Carolina will make it in their coaches second season. Wake can either hold itself accountable for big boy ball or just aspire to the bubble each year.

Forbes' original contract was through the 25-26 season. That contract was extended in 2024. Terms were not disclosed, but it looks like he'll be here through the end of the decade. The only thing that would move the needle on this is for Iowa to fire Fran McCaffery and then come after him. That may well happen.
If iowa comes knocking, great. That means he’s killed it at wake.

Write the check, 2&2. Who is on your short list?
Unfortunately, I'm not the person employed to make such decisions. For some asinine reason, Wake has entrusted that job to a person who retained Danny Manning for a full season into his tenure for God knows why, and apparently extended the current coach for the phenomenal achievement of getting us to the bubble. Our basketball program is a joke.

“Got them to the NCAA bubble”

I genuinely cannot tell if this is parody or truly the most LOWF post I’ve ever seen.
Folks might need to be reminded Odom turned a team around that was fairly woeful under Staak in just 2 seasons and he didn’t talk about his team being gritty but he coached his team to be gritty and great Dedensively. And many other examples of great coaches like Bennett who also took a horrific program and made them natty champs. Forbes talks a Good game, but just can’t coach fundamentals nor adjust at all as just rolls ball out and lets them play. He is going to need 3 nba players to have a chance if not 4-5 as he just can’t coach up a team and his teams are anti clutch.

Unfortunately, I'm not the person employed to make such decisions. For some asinine reason, Wake has entrusted that job to a person who retained Danny Manning for a full season into his tenure for God knows why, and apparently extended the current coach for the phenomenal achievement of getting us to the bubble. Our basketball program is a joke.

OK - Cut a big enough check and make the program not a joke.

Where is the downside? Or are you content with lobbing posts from the ogboards peanut gallery with zero accountability?

Pretty much.

Have we become like the 80s Deacs who were so burned by the Staak years that 00s mediocrity was acceptable?

I think it probably has made me see the bigger picture a bit in that I now know exactly how bad it can get so I am probably a bit more tempered in my expectations. I also think college basketball has changed a lot since the Odom years where we were on the bubble at 7-9. Now an ACC team can win 15 games and still miss the tournament. I think having experienced Skip’s death, and the stories in the aftermath about what a stellar human he was, and the fact that Forbes gets some of the same praise for being a really good human himself, makes me appreciate Forbes a bit more than I might otherwise have. Finally, I also appreciate a coach’s vibes and charisma after having back-to-back coaches who had no personalities whatsoever.

My expectation for next year is that we will make the tournament, because I suspect we’re bringing back a core for the first time in his tenure. If we don’t get there next year, I would be disappointed.

He’s definitely brought energy to the program and is winning more games, hard not to love the guy. Having said that college basketball at this level is all about making the tournament. For most, make it and the season was good, miss it and it’s not a good season. These guys make a lot of money. So my question to you would be do you view making the tournament as a realistic goal for Wake basketball and if so when do you expect that to happen?

St John’s will make the tournament in Pitino’s second season, South Carolina will make it in their coaches second season. Wake can either hold itself accountable for big boy ball or just aspire to the bubble each year.
Agreed; 3 years in a row or the door.

We really need to stop debating Forbes IN or OUT! He's brought so much to this program after the shit we had before him. We really need to be debating the analytics vs the eye test. We all know this team is a NCAA tourney team by the eye test. The unfair analytics has to be challenged with lawsuits! There is no way you can say some of these other conferences can even compare to the competition in the ACC. It's time for ADs and coaches to stand up to this unfair process of selecting teams for the tourney. We all know what it's about.....LOWF can't bring in the revenue that some of these other schools who are being selected. This is why they won't pick Wake for the tournament. It's all about $$$.

Shake — Just to correct one thing, this is Pitino’s 1st season at St Johns.

Now that the dust has somewhat settled and tempers should have somewhat lowered, the sun rose again this morning. The world did not end.

Posting within the first few hours of a season ending loss always leads to impassioned accusations and conflict over where to lay the blame. No one single factor is the exact cause here. Damari's absence certainly hurt the team and caused some chemistry issues. Coach Forbes had quite a bit going on in his personal life this season that had to have some minor effects. Cam's injury may have been another issue. And no, John Currie and Mr Wellman is not the boogeyman to blame for all of this. No single issue, but a myriad of other minor problems may have caused the death of a thousand cuts so to speak.

25-10, 19-14, and 20-13. Those are pretty good averages for the past three years, all things considered.

Let's see what Coach Forbes does in the transfer portal and if Hunter Sallis comes back for one more year. Still a good chance that we have an even better season next year and finally get over this hump.

Things will get better and there's certainly a lot to look forward to next year.

Back