• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Steve Forbes credibility watch

Again, Forbes will bring us where we want to be.

The dude immediately turned around a dumpster fire and we are now a respectable program.

I agree that it's time he gets us over the hump, and I complete confidence that'll be next season.
Considering the dumpster fire he inherited and the changed landscape of college sports, three almost NCAA Tourneys and 20+ win seasons is noteworthy. He has a strong track record for developing guards and transfers and that is going to help the build. The ACC is down which is not helping the cause for HS recruits as well.

I think Forbes is a credible coach and the program has progressed as a result. Wake has been a bubble team for three years. His record for the past three seasons is 64-37 overall and 34-26 in conference play. Those numbers compare favorably to any previous Wake Forest coach. Forbes has shown an ability to recruit from the portal and to supplement those players with high school recruits. After four seaons, Wake fans are debating if his efforts are good enough and are discussing the specifics of his coaching abilities to explain why his teams have yet to achieve an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Even ardent supporters like myself question the weaknesses we have seen. Late season collapses and lack of quality depth have been too consistent to suit my tastes. Defense remains a sometimes activity. When fans are complaining about not being quite good enough vs will we ever win again, the program has made progress.

The fact that the seat of his chair has become warm is deserved. Given the length of his contract (who knows for sure?), Steve Forbes probably has a couple of years to gain the tournament invitation everyone desires. If he fails to achieve this, a thread calling for his termination will replace this thread. For now, I expect a NIT invitation and will watch every game hoping for a championship. A little hardware would complete the season with a more enjoyable ending.

I think Forbes is a credible coach and the program has progressed as a result. Wake has been a bubble team for three years. His record for the past three seasons is 64-37 overall and 34-26 in conference play. Those numbers compare favorably to any previous Wake Forest coach. Forbes has shown an ability to recruit from the portal and to supplement those players with high school recruits. After four seaons, Wake fans are debating if his efforts are good enough and are discussing the specifics of his coaching abilities to explain why his teams have yet to achieve an invitation to the NCAA tournament. Even ardent supporters like myself question the weaknesses we have seen. Late season collapses and lack of quality depth have been too consistent to suit my tastes. Defense remains a sometimes activity. When fans are complaining about not being quite good enough vs will we ever win again, the program has made progress.

The fact that the seat of his chair has become warm is deserved. Given the length of his contract (who knows for sure?), Steve Forbes probably has a couple of years to gain the tournament invitation everyone desires. If he fails to achieve this, a thread calling for his termination will replace this thread. For now, I expect a NIT invitation and will watch every game hoping for a championship. A little hardware would complete the season with a more enjoyable ending.
A reasonable perspective. He’s got serious work to do to refill and bolster the roster, especially if Sallis and Carr don’t return. And a 2-3 bench players need further development to be solid contributors.

I just woke up from a nap, so I may be falling for a series of satirical posts. The fact that it's hard to tell is just another example of the wonder that is WFU basketball. It's so bad and some fans' expectations are so low, it's genuinely hard to tell who's fucking around and who is defending a 4-year trip from being utterly horrible to perfectly mediocre as something to be satisfied with (please don't mention injuries, COVID, bad refs or Tuesdays; other teams have those too).

Meanwhile teams go from awful to making the actual tournament (which shouldn't even be the goal, but whatever) in just a couple of years, and our in-state rival who some of us like to either compare ourselves to or claim superiority over just won 5 games in 5 days to be the ACC champions.

I don't know if our ceiling is truly low, though the more I think about it, maybe it is. And if it is, our low expectations have to be at least one reason why.

Great portal recruiter…great ambassador for fund raising…average To below HS recruiter…below average in game coach.
Agreed. I think the real discussion is about our basketball ceiling.

I think our basketball ceiling is low (that could change in the future) and people who are unwilling to admit that are a bit delusional. I totally understand why others would disagree.
Ceilings are as low as leadership sets them. Trustees > President > AD > HC

I just woke up from a nap, so I may be falling for a series of satirical posts. The fact that it's hard to tell is just another example of the wonder that is WFU basketball. It's so bad and some fans' expectations are so low, it's genuinely hard to tell who's fucking around and who is defending a 4-year trip from being utterly horrible to perfectly mediocre as something to be satisfied with (please don't mention injuries, COVID, bad refs or Tuesdays; other teams have those too).

Meanwhile teams go from awful to making the actual tournament (which shouldn't even be the goal, but whatever) in just a couple of years, and our in-state rival who some of us like to either compare ourselves to or claim superiority over just won 5 games in 5 days to be the ACC champions.

I don't know if our ceiling is truly low, though the more I think about it, maybe it is. And if it is, our low expectations have to be at least one reason why.
Our problem isn't the ceiling, nobody in today's college basketball has a ceiling. San Diego State, Florida Atlantic, and Miami were all in the Final Four last year. Think about that for a minute, compared historically to us. At some point, everybody wins but us. The problem is not the ceiling, the problem is our floor. You need to get in the fucking tournament to get a shot at the ceiling. And Forbes has been unable to do that, regardless of the number of G-league transfers he brings in. He should be gone right now.

The bigger issue is that the only reason we are on the bubble right now is because of our conference affiliation. When the ACC falls apart in a few years, NC State is giving reasons for them to go to at least the Big 12. We give nothing to anybody because we can't even make the fucking tournament. We'll be in the SoCon where we have to win to get in, which we obviously can't/won't do, as that involves winning important games. We need to get rid of Forbes now to at least have hope of getting some bids over the next few years to protect ourselves from the conference fallout. Otherwise our athletic program will literally become worthless. This is the exact wrong time to be fucking around with hopes, dreams, patience, and niceties.

The ACC isn't going anywhere. it might not look the same as it does now, but it's not going anywhere

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

Agreed. Hell, the ACC might very well be even better not to be a 15-20 mega conference if we do lose some teams chasing the CFP $$$.

Bring back the bball ACC round robin home and homes!

The ACC isn't going anywhere. it might not look the same as it does now, but it's not going anywhere

Fair enough. I look forward to our ACC rivalry games with Davidson and UNC-Wilmington. That conference will be sure to get many at-large bids that we can capitalize upon.

Fair enough. I look forward to our ACC rivalry games with Davidson and UNC-Wilmington. That conference will be sure to get many at-large bids that we can capitalize upon.
Where do you think all the teams in the ACC would go? If we lost a couple of members, we would pick up other teams. Our football might not be as good, but we really don't compete at that level anyway

The bigger issue is that the only reason we are on the bubble right now is because of our conference affiliation. When the ACC falls apart in a few years, NC State is giving reasons for them to go to at least the Big 12. We give nothing to anybody because we can't even make the fucking tournament. We'll be in the SoCon where we have to win to get in, which we obviously can't/won't do, as that involves winning important games. We need to get rid of Forbes now to at least have hope of getting some bids over the next few years to protect ourselves from the conference fallout. Otherwise our athletic program will literally become worthless. This is the exact wrong time to be fucking around with hopes, dreams, patience, and niceties.

Lulz at the idea that the SEC or B10 are making expansion decisions based on college basketball NCAA tourney bids

Forbes is here a while due to the extension. Obviously a tough year given his family situation. Nobody could have foreseen that. Bobi, Efton, Damari, on the other hand - no excuses. Injuries and departures happen and you have to game out those scenarios and have a backup plan. Yet we seem to have no depth. Need to make the tourney next year.

Maybe posted elsewhere, but of interest this week: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

Interesting to click through some of the schools/coaches in that data set.

It's a bit of a reminder that we went out and bargain shopped for Forbes.

p.s. Hamilton's contract seems low for a guy who made the postseason in 19 of 22 years. Wondering if he'll coach next year (at age 76).

How confident are you that $1,645,426 number is accurate for total comp?

Find it odd that they report Forbes' comp but not those of the other private schools in the ACC.

Lulz at the idea that the SEC or B10 are making expansion decisions based on college basketball NCAA tourney bids
They aren't. But you are off your rocker if you think the SEC or B10 would even consider us anyway, as we bring absolutely nothing to the table for them. But the Big 12 surely is looking at college basketball. And has been pointed out, the Lost Decades bring us nothing in that regard either. So we are flat fucked. Welcome to the SoCon (or New ACC, as ChrisL would prefer we call it).

Back